Pictures of your builds!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the beginnings of the panel. Still have to solder and wire the other 2 gate filters. Also, the panel looks a lot better than what the picture shows, it still has the protective coating on it while I do the wiring and testing.
lpg-panel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Thanks to Hink for suggesting I post this here
Tubika motherboard complete with two voice cards now.
Working on the third of six today. So far the only issue has been a resistor value problem. It's reading 330K Ohms rather than the 47K that it's supposed to be.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

ps..building this while watching Rammstein in concert @ Nimes..
almost worth learning German for.

Great looking build. Congrats!
Which version of the voices are you using?

justin3am wrote:Great looking build. Congrats!
Which version of the voices are you using?
6 x smr4 Justin. I'll order a couple of polivoks cards when it's complete and see what they do.
Cheers.

3 voicecards installed

Following up on building a Bugbrand Workshop Weevil and Crusher a couple of months back, Ive had another burst of being productive during lunchtimes at work... Euro format kits from Thonk, sitting in a Doepfer mini case I bought so I could test them in situ.

L to R :

Circuit Abbey Euroduino : Programmable gate/CV Module based on an Arduino. Did this about a month ago.
Music Thing Radio : radio-style randomised wave file playback from micro SD cards. Built monday-wednesday this week.
Music Thing Mikrophonie : contact mic module (has a built-in contact mic but can use an external one and also works really well with a magnetic voice coil). Done yesterday.
Music Thing Turing Machine : random-noise based triggering. Done today

The Turing Machine and Mikrophonie took an hour-long session or so each, the others would have been a couple of sessions each, but the Radio took a bit extra because I cropped the LED leads too short, desoldering wasnt working, and I sorta had to 'drill' the solder clear again with a dental drillbit.
The faceplate for the Turing Machine still needs to be finished (its black acrylic, laser engraved, the white paper comes off after the engraving is filled in with paint.)

Now that these are built, Ive ordered the Binary and Voltages expansions for the Turing Machine, and a Ryo 8-step sequencer to do next. Thonk are on holiday though, so I probably wont get the kits till the start of July.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Great work Sean! I have a couple Mikrophonies and Spring reverb driver kits from Thonk which I still need to build.
I have a bunch of piezo mics and a bunch of VU meters and my goal is to make a multi channel version of this: VU-Perc

My back log of projects is crazy! I have some hex-inverter drum module PCBs (just finished building a BatteryAcid distortion from him, I'll post a pic after work), two Toppobrillo TWF PCBs (and parts) and two MI Clouds PCBs (still need to order parts).

...and all that has to wait until I'm further along on a very special project. Hopefully I can get one of my holtek 8955s working on proto-board this weekend.

justin3am wrote:Great work Sean! I have a couple Mikrophonies and Spring reverb driver kits from Thonk which I still need to build.
I have a bunch of piezo mics and a bunch of VU meters and my goal is to make a multi channel version of this: VU-Perc
That is f**king awesome.

If you get the chance, try a voice-coil mic into the Mikrophonie input; electromagnetic radiation makes a great source of electronic drones.

It'd be really interesting to know what those VU meters did EM wise, too. Possibly similar to something I wanted to try with an Arduino driving some servos.
My back log of projects is crazy! I have some hex-inverter drum module PCBs (just finished building a BatteryAcid distortion from him, I'll post a pic after work), two Toppobrillo TWF PCBs (and parts) and two MI Clouds PCBs (still need to order parts).
I have a stupid backlog of stuff that Ive not got around to doing. :bang:
...and all that has to wait until I'm further along on a very special project. Hopefully I can get one of my holtek 8955s working on proto-board this weekend.
Interesting wee device, hadnt come across it before.

Here are some pics of my last two builds:

A Rotating Clock Divider from 4ms

This is a arduino based eurorack module for clock division. I mostly use it to get different clock rates for sequencing. The rotate function is a lot of fun for chaotic sequencing. Great little module. I have another one but that's a much earlier version.

And a Battery Acid distortion from Hex-Inverter

Battery Acid is based on the MXR Distortion+ but it's designed to be a eurorack module (hence the ribbon cable and 1/8" jacks). I used NOS germanium 1n270 diodes and it sounds fantastic on synths. My favorite thing is using it in the feedback path of a delay. You can hear it on Deb's guitar in a track we recoded recently (though there is a ton of other processing, so it's not really representative of the battery acid module). My Ambika is also featured on this track.
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/clouded-vision

whyterabbyt wrote:If you get the chance, try a voice-coil mic into the Mikrophonie input; electromagnetic radiation makes a great source of electronic drones.
Like, from a guitar pickup? Yeah, I'll have to try that. Any source of EM radiation you can recommend? Much of what I do at work involves eliminating that kind of stuff. :hihi:
whyterabbyt wrote:It'd be really interesting to know what those VU meters did EM wise, too. Possibly similar to something I wanted to try with an Arduino driving some servos.
Yeah! Lots of electro-mechanical devices have really weird properties/behaviors in terms of the interference they put out. I frequently go to a compatibility lab where they do FCC/CE testing and I always thought it would be cool to use the output of some of their equipment as crazy signal generators.
whyterabbyt wrote:
Interesting wee device, hadnt come across it before.
It is, they're super lo-fi crunchy. Even more-so than the PT2399. Since the ram chip is external, I figure some really cool bends will be possible. I'd really like to get my hands on some Princeton PT2395s... but you know- hen's teeth and all.

Holtek makes the key scan chips which are used in most MIDI controllers (maybe some synths too) but they made/make parts for Karaoke machines as well. Some all-in-one-chip vocal transformers and stuff like that. They just beg for bending. I'm just building the examples from the data-sheet now.

justin3am wrote:Here are some pics of my last two builds:

This is a arduino based eurorack module for clock division. I mostly use it to get different clock rates for sequencing. The rotate function is a lot of fun for chaotic sequencing. Great little module. I have another one but that's a much earlier version.
Im doing a lot more arduino-related stuff at work, and Im thinking along the lines of putting together a good variety of reprogrammable devices. Definitely getting another Euroduino, the Radio is interesting because its a Teensy based system, and Im hoping QuBit do a Nebulae V2 with the more recent 4-core Raspberry Pi. Didnt know the RCD has an Arduino in it, thats interesting to know.

Battery Acid is based on the MXR Distortion+ but it's designed to be a eurorack module (hence the ribbon cable and 1/8" jacks). I used NOS germanium 1n270 diodes and it sounds fantastic on synths. My favorite thing is using it in the feedback path of a delay.
Im still working up to DIY stuff where I have to source the parts myself, its considerably more faff. :lol:
You can hear it on Deb's guitar in a track we recoded recently (though there is a ton of other processing, so it's not really representative of the battery acid module). My Ambika is also featured on this track.
Forgot to say this was a great track.
justin3am wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:If you get the chance, try a voice-coil mic into the Mikrophonie input; electromagnetic radiation makes a great source of electronic drones.
Like, from a guitar pickup? Yeah, I'll have to try that. Any source of EM radiation you can recommend? Much of what I do at work involves eliminating that kind of stuff. :hihi:
A guitar pickup would do, just make sure its a single-coil. But what Im using is just a cheap thing designed for telephones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suction-Pickup- ... B000L1OZG8

Good sources - anything that's basically a computer or has motors. CPUs, hard drives, opticals, all good. Listening to the EM sound of your computer recording the sound of itself; EM feedback loop :hihi:. Wander out with a portable recorder and check out street lights, bank machines, all sorts. Crazy hw much electromagnetic radiation we're bathed in.
Yeah! Lots of electro-mechanical devices have really weird properties/behaviors in terms of the interference they put out. I frequently go to a compatibility lab where they do FCC/CE testing and I always thought it would be cool to use the output of some of their equipment as crazy signal generators.
Pretty sure it would.
whyterabbyt wrote:It is, they're super lo-fi crunchy. Even more-so than the PT2399. Since the ram chip is external, I figure some really cool bends will be possible. I'd really like to get my hands on some Princeton PT2395s... but you know- hen's teeth and all.

Holtek makes the key scan chips which are used in most MIDI controllers (maybe some synths too) but they made/make parts for Karaoke machines as well. Some all-in-one-chip vocal transformers and stuff like that. They just beg for bending. I'm just building the examples from the data-sheet now.
well I definitely love the two PT2399 delays in my BugModular, (which can be clocked so low they effectively become a random-pulse generator) so let me know how it goes...

It begins...

Stage 2

This thread reminds me that its been at least ten years since Scot Solida sold me that Paia Fatman kit. I'm really going to have to buckle down and build it one of these years...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”