So, has anyone actually ATTEMPTED Cubase on Windows 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

So has anyone here actually TRIED Cubase for themselves on Windows 10? If so, what was your experience?

I really want to upgrade to Windows 10 but this warning from Steinberg is quite ominous albeit vague. However, there are users saying Cubase works fine on Windows 10 x64. There's no telling how long it will take Steinberg to remedy whatever problem there is, but realistically they couldn't possibly let issues go on for too long considering that Windows is a widely used platform and there are computers that are going to come with W10 pre-installed pretty soon that are going to attempt to run Cubase.

From what I hear from MANY, W10 blows W7 out of the water.

I have both on the same machines. Win10 seems faster... But At the same exact clock speed Win7 it's faster. Really.

In the next few days i'm gonna run some benchmark programs to prove My statements

Everything works fine here - Cubase 8.0.2 and Windows 10. I'm not sure if Win10 is faster than Win8.1 but I'm pretty sure it's not slower. I had to re-authorize Spectrasonics plug-ins but everything else (even Pace iLok) worked without any extra steps.
xphen0m wrote:From what I hear from MANY, W10 blows W7 out of the water.
Win8 already did that. It was only the Metro stuff that turned a lot of people off but that was fixed in 8.1.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

I'm using it too. Its running smooth and it does feel faster to me. Windows 10 is faster. I don't know why this is hard to believe for some people. Every other operating system they've released has been better. XP, 7 and now 10.

Had a go at it today too. Upgraded Win 7 to Win 10 on my laptop, had Cubase 8 Elements, and quite a few VST's installed. Ran the eLicenser maintainance stuff before opening Cubase, started it afterwards, and everything works fine. :) No VST was asking for re-authorizing btw. Studio One 2 Producer working fine too, as is Reason Essentials. I must say it's pretty impressive how few issues arise due to the upgrade. I expected at least some issues, but so far, nada. :tu:

To me it's exactly opposite :) Interface killed Windows 8 for me. Came back to 7 recently. Couldn't handle being force-fed counter-intuitive solutions designed to artificially bridge the differences between phones, tablets and PC into one experience. Each of these formats has different navigation type that works best and forcing one on all was a huge mistake. Especially that it's the PC users who got the short end of the stick - Metro interface is obviously suited best for touchscreens, all those weird mouse gestures that are supposed to help in navigation but only result in executing random commands because it's intuitive on phones where those solutions are regularly implemented and useful (small screen space, little place for buttons so only stuff like this can be practical).

Even with shell extensions to bring back classic view there were some hoops I had to regularly jump through like fullscreen programs disappearing from the start menu until they are "unfullscreened" and then fullscreened again and puzzling choices like apps not existing in taskbar at all, only in alt+tab menu. Under the hood, it's barely any different from Windows 7 (fast system loading and lower energy usage are nice - good for laptop, not important on PC), when the system is done loading performance differences between 7 and 8 care lose to non-existent. Account syncing is a nightmare - ask prople who work for corporations how messy things can get after upgrading system to WIn8 atwork. One stupid mistake and things can get very messy :)

Windows 7 was amazing in that it increased stability (no more bluescreens) and was surprisingly light on resources. It was light years ahead of Windows XP, which was light years ahead of Windows 98/ME. Windows 8 did nothing to improve that and took away basic functionality to replace it with solutions which people hated from the get-go and despite endless critique on all fronts, Microsoft stubbornly refused to do anything about until it finally delivered a half-assed "fix" with Windows 8.1 update. This reflected in terrible sales - Win 8 is a huge financial flop, its market share is extremely low with a 2% more than their 12 years older OSand now that "free" Windows 10 upgrade is out, it's fair to say that 8 is going to disappear entirely from the market very soon.

Nice that Windows 10 seems so compatible so far! It's going to gather a lot of heat for all those privacy issues though.

Tonberry wrote:To me it's exactly opposite :) Interface killed Windows 8 for me. Came back to 7 recently. Couldn't handle being force-fed counter-intuitive solutions designed to artificially bridge the differences between phones, tablets and PC into one experience. Each of these formats has different navigation type that works best and forcing one on all was a huge mistake. Especially that it's the PC users who got the short end of the stick - Metro interface is obviously suited best for touchscreens, all those weird mouse gestures that are supposed to help in navigation but only result in executing random commands because it's intuitive on phones where those solutions are regularly implemented and useful (small screen space, little place for buttons so only stuff like this can be practical).

Even with shell extensions to bring back classic view there were some hoops I had to regularly jump through like fullscreen programs disappearing from the start menu until they are "unfullscreened" and then fullscreened again and puzzling choices like apps not existing in taskbar at all, only in alt+tab menu. Under the hood, it's barely any different from Windows 7 (fast system loading and lower energy usage are nice - good for laptop, not important on PC), when the system is done loading performance differences between 7 and 8 care lose to non-existent. Account syncing is a nightmare - ask prople who work for corporations how messy things can get after upgrading system to WIn8 atwork. One stupid mistake and things can get very messy :)

Windows 7 was amazing in that it increased stability (no more bluescreens) and was surprisingly light on resources. It was light years ahead of Windows XP, which was light years ahead of Windows 98/ME. Windows 8 did nothing to improve that and took away basic functionality to replace it with solutions which people hated from the get-go and despite endless critique on all fronts, Microsoft stubbornly refused to do anything about until it finally delivered a half-assed "fix" with Windows 8.1 update. This reflected in terrible sales - Win 8 is a huge financial flop, its market share is extremely low with a 2% more than their 12 years older OSand now that "free" Windows 10 upgrade is out, it's fair to say that 8 is going to disappear entirely from the market very soon.

Nice that Windows 10 seems so compatible so far! It's going to gather a lot of heat for all those privacy issues though.
I feel the same way you do, especially about the ludicrous "all devices should use the same interface" philosophy. I use a DESKTOP COMPUTER with a MOUSE. I want things like menus, sophisticated file management, and the ability to have multiple windows open at the same. Phones don't have those because they are inherently much more limited devices.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever to update from 7 to 10, just like I was in no hurry to update from XP to 7. I still use XP on my main audio computer. Steinberg + RME + Windows XP was and still is the most stable configuration I've ever used, although I have not used Macs and am very tempted to abandon Microsoft if they insist on shafting us desktop users. The big question is: is there really any point to updating from 7 to 10 in the near future? In particular, is anybody successfully using Cubase + recent RME hardware + Windows 10?

So after deliberating, I took a risk and upgraded to W10. So far, Cubase 8 is working like normal. Awesome. Now I can stop worrying about it.

xphen0m wrote:So after deliberating, I took a risk and upgraded to W10. So far, Cubase 8 is working like normal. Awesome. Now I can stop worrying about it.
Good to know. Which audio interface are you using if you don't mind me asking :)
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Everything is working flawlessly over here as well. I'm using a UR44

andrew732 wrote:
Tonberry wrote:To me it's exactly opposite :) Interface killed Windows 8 for me. Came back to 7 recently. Couldn't handle being force-fed counter-intuitive solutions designed to artificially bridge the differences between phones, tablets and PC into one experience. Each of these formats has different navigation type that works best and forcing one on all was a huge mistake. Especially that it's the PC users who got the short end of the stick - Metro interface is obviously suited best for touchscreens, all those weird mouse gestures that are supposed to help in navigation but only result in executing random commands because it's intuitive on phones where those solutions are regularly implemented and useful (small screen space, little place for buttons so only stuff like this can be practical).

I feel the same way you do, especially about the ludicrous "all devices should use the same interface" philosophy. I use a DESKTOP COMPUTER with a MOUSE. I want things like menus, sophisticated file management, and the ability to have multiple windows open at the same. Phones don't have those because they are inherently much more limited devices.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever to update from 7 to 10, just like I was in no hurry to update from XP to 7. I still use XP on my main audio computer. Steinberg + RME + Windows XP was and still is the most stable configuration I've ever used, although I have not used Macs and am very tempted to abandon Microsoft if they insist on shafting us desktop users. The big question is: is there really any point to updating from 7 to 10 in the near future? In particular, is anybody successfully using Cubase + recent RME hardware + Windows 10?
Jesus dude. The point is that when a better operating system comes out, you upgrade because its faster and more efficient. If you're one of those "don't fix what isn't broke" guys then stay with what you have. You can't truly expect Microsoft to keep supporting their old operating systems forever. XP is a 15 year old operating system. Try out 10 for yourself and if you don't like it, you can revert back. How have they shafted you desktop users with 10? You say it like its a touch only OS or something. I'm tired of seeing these posts. Sorry for my rant.

Chkam, I didn't quote properly and it looked like response to you, I was addressing gravehill's comment that Windows 8 blows Windows 7 out of the water. One reason to upgrade to Win 10 are all the changes in audio department to bring Windows closer to Apple's CoreAudio (whatever that is, I have no idea what I'm talking about :D ). People are very hopeful in that department, we'll see if this is going to be a good implementation, if yes then all those Windows live hardware guys might become very happy.

As for "don't fix what isn't broke", it's probably the same thing with daw users - there are people with "give me the environment with the least obstacles" and people constantly chasing new implementations to speed up their workflow (which is good as long as chasing new implementations doesn't become main part of someone's workflow :D ).

Time invested in chasing those new toys and fiddling with new OS needs to come back in saved time due to improved workflow or considerably increased comfort of work. There's not one right and one wrong answer here, I was merely saying that saying that Windows 8 is a considerable update over Windows 7 is a huge overstatement because key areas are either left untouched or removed (like Windows Media Player, with the dumbest argument imaginable behind it). Core functionality of Windows 95 is barely any different from Windows 10. It's not a bad thing, it works and it works well, but that's why upgrading to a newer OS is rarely a huge thing for most people, they usually do it for the "thrill of adventure" than anything else. Corporations have also become smart about it and they know that they don't have to upgrade something that works perfectly as is, that's part of poor Windows 8 sales and poor PC hardware sales in general.

Official Microsoft support is also not a huge incentive - 10-20 years ago antivirus and anti-malware software was a necessity, nowadays I haven't downloaded a single Windows Update (first thing I disable after fresh install) and haven't used any antivirus and everything runs perfectly smooth for years. It seems like all those hacker guys have become sloppy or OSes have become bulletproof. That's why so many people like Andrew still work with Windows XP and are very happy with it.

ckam03 wrote:Everything is working flawlessly over here as well. I'm using a UR44
Yes, me too :) Everything is working fine in Elements 8 with AudioBox iTwo.

I haven't tested the video because I don't do videos, but tested most everything else I usually use, and everything seems to work great :)

Voice303 wrote:
xphen0m wrote:So after deliberating, I took a risk and upgraded to W10. So far, Cubase 8 is working like normal. Awesome. Now I can stop worrying about it.
Good to know. Which audio interface are you using if you don't mind me asking :)
I'm using a cheapo interface that's built in my Samson Studio GT monitors with ASIO4ALL.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”