Looking for an over the top tape sim

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

TIMT wrote:Just bite the bullet though and get a cassette deck and or portastudio :)
:) Yeah - I'm thinking about that. But that makes it all a little bit more convoluted - printing master bus to tape/cassette is not that bad, but printing every track... I don't know...

In my opinion - with the current plug-ins - it's quite impossible to get that kind of really lo-fi warbly or distorted or over the top tape sound, that sounds really authentic. I have tried trust me, some tape plug-ins do the hi-fi tape really quite well though I'm sure in this field there will be more advancement in the future too... I bought Fostex 4-tracker for the lo-fi sound :)
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

beingmf wrote:Look no further than ReelBus. I use it for exactly the same purposes, and it never fails. [/thread] :)
:tu:

penguinfromdeep wrote:In my opinion - with the current plug-ins - it's quite impossible to get that kind of really lo-fi warbly or distorted or over the top tape sound, that sounds really authentic. I have tried trust me, some tape plug-ins do the hi-fi tape really quite well though I'm sure in this field there will be more advancement in the future too... I bought Fostex 4-tracker for the lo-fi sound :)
Our ideas of what's "really authentic" might of course be quite different, but in my opinion you can get very close with plugins. Just to reiterate what I and others in this thread have said, Reelbus can do rather well all by itself. Otherwise, some Nebula tape programs work well for tape tone; then you can add a wow/flutter, noise, etc. effects somewhere in the chain if you want those things.

Here are a couple demos I did using plugins only (synths + effects):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0f4vy6s9f4fjbn/Exp2.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7h05j0e1045h4 ... 2.mp3?dl=0

Also, here's a youtube demonstration by Wavestrike Electronics that goes into the principles of recreating that old crustified tape sound, using Sampler in Ableton Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciiy5TBoXp8
Last edited by JerGoertz on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A well-behaved signature.

Double post

szalonykp wrote:
cfanyc wrote:uad studer and ithe nebula world cdsoundmaster R2R and tapebooster
I don't have the UAD hardware, but as far as I can see UAD Studer has no wow&flutter. It's the same with R2R - no wow&flutter (nothing about it in the manual). Have you read the original question at the beginning of this topic?
you are right, sorry, i meant uad ampex. And i took the question
that op wants high quality tape machine emu with strong w&f
not just a w&f effect. i believe the uad+r2r+tapebooster provides
a wonderful tape emu chain where one can crunk the w&f if desired.

penguinfromdeep wrote:In my opinion - with the current plug-ins - it's quite impossible to get that kind of really lo-fi warbly or distorted or over the top tape sound, that sounds really authentic. I have tried trust me, some tape plug-ins do the hi-fi tape really quite well though I'm sure in this field there will be more advancement in the future too... I bought Fostex 4-tracker for the lo-fi sound :)
To be honest I'm not looking for something authentic - rather nostalgia-inducing :). But a simple cassette 4-track is on my buying list.
JerGoertz wrote:Here are a couple demos I did using plugins only (synths + effects):

Also, here's a youtube demonstration by Wavestrike Electronics that goes into the principles of recreating that old crustified tape sound, using Sampler in Ableton Live:
Thanks for the demos - but (especially in the Ableton one) I think simple sine lfo modulation sounds bad. It needs to be more random to my ears.
cfanyc wrote: you are right, sorry, i meant uad ampex. And i took the question
that op wants high quality tape machine emu with strong w&f
not just a w&f effect. i believe the uad+r2r+tapebooster provides
a wonderful tape emu chain where one can crunk the w&f if desired.
I think it's a little bit overkill as I don't have UAD hardware ;). As I wrote - I wasn't looking (in that particular case) for something subtle rather for an obvious and bold effect.

In the end I've bought ReelBus and I think I can work with that for now. Thanks guys for all the advices.

szalonykp wrote:I'm using tape sim as an effect - mostly for saturation and wow/flutter. For now I'm using a Reaktor Ensamble - Tape Machine (http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co ... show/6617/). I like it, but I'm looking for something new and maybe better.

I like to push it hard in the wow/flutter department so wow/flutter is a must. I'm not looking for something 100% accurate or subtle analog touch. I'm looking for something obvious and bold. And for OSX. And not from Waves ;).

I've found a few plugins and I will be testing them, but maybe I've missed something... Can you help me, guys (and gals)? :)

These are on my "to test" list:

SKNote - Roundtone
ToneBoosters - TB ReelBus
U-he - Satin
Slate - VTM
Mushy Mushy wrote:I too was recently looking for one to completely abuse.

The winners by a long margin (IMO obviously) were Magnetic and Waves Kramer Tape.

Hmmmm edit: you do specify no waves. Sorry :oops:
For me it's by far Kramer too, but you specify no Waves. I also have J37 and VTM, and I think that VTM is not a thing you can abuse the way you want.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

I think you'll be surprised by Roundtone. I offer a license if you want to test its sound and me to help. Just send an email or a p.m.
***Edit
Could be useful as a check while I'm updating it, too.

JerGoertz wrote:Also, here's a youtube demonstration by Wavestrike Electronics that goes into the principles of recreating that old crustified tape sound, using Sampler in Ableton Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciiy5TBoXp8
:o :o :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks to SKnote's Quinto Sardo I could check Roundtone out. And while the saturation sounds really smooth and nice - the wow, flutter and noise are too subtle for the abuse use which I'm looking for. Especially the flutter was too delicate for my taste.

But that's only for my over the top use - check it if you look for a proper tape sim.

Oh, ok, it is not for abuse... until you engage a very long feedback delay loop :)

quintosardo wrote:Oh, ok, it is not for abuse... until you engage a very long feedback delay loop :)
If you were to make an option for abuse (perhaps on a hidden back panel), I would definitely be interested in Roundtone for that purpose. :)

szalonykp wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Here are a couple demos I did using plugins only (synths + effects):

Thanks for the demos - but (especially in the Ableton one) I think simple sine lfo modulation sounds bad. It needs to be more random to my ears.
Fair enough. Can you give us an example of something you feel has the kind of sound you're looking for?

Wow, that video. Quite inspiring. Tape sound based on lfo's, filter, panning. Niiiiiceeeeeeeeee!

Return to “Effects”