FL Studio 12 Program Change broken?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks,

I'm currently building a live looping setup and as a result i'm evaluating FL Studio right now (The current demo).
In my live setup i would like to switch Instrument presets on the fly and as my main "control interface" are midi controllers it would be through MIDI. Now a normal MIDI Program Change just switches between channels which is not really what I'm after. Using Google though I found a "way" where you add FL's MIDI Out plugin to your channel and link it to your instrument vst. Then you should be able to switch Presets by switching the Patch though this is not working for any of the plugins i tested it with. All note on/off messages and also the CC messages get through to the Plugin but the PC don't.
Did something change in the newest version or am I doing something wrong?
Is FL maybe no longer capable of doing that and I should look at another DAW?

Which plugins? A lot of them don't accept program changes to switch presets.
My Novation Remote SL can switch presets without program change messages using automap.

Your right. I tried it again with other plugins and it worked everytime.
I observed that it works perfectly with the ones that are displayed with an Cog Icon next to their names while the ones with an orange N next to them don't work even though when loaded as an instrument or effect they display all their presets.
Examples of plugins which have a N next to their names and didn't work are: TAL-Noizemaker, FMMF, Dexed and Eclipsis though a bunch of other have the same issue.
What does N or the Cog mean? I couldn't find any information online.
....and is there a way to change or "fix" this?

No, there's no way to fix it. If a plugin doesn't have this "feature", then that's that.
Last edited by T-CM11 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExTheSea wrote:Your right. I tried it again with other plugins and it worked everytime.
I observed that it works perfectly with the ones that are displayed with an Cog Icon next to their names while the ones with an orange N next to them don't work even though when loaded as an instrument or effect they display all their presets.
Examples of plugins which have a N next to their names and didn't work are: TAL-Noizemaker, FMMF, Dexed and Eclipsis though a bunch of other have the same issue.
What does N or the Cog mean? I couldn't find any information online.
....and is there a way to change or "fix" this?
It's unrelated! (N means Newly scanned by the plugin scanner, Cog just means that it's a plugin) :wink:

Thank you for the quick reply.
N = New ....Sounds so obvious now :D
I also found a video by SeamlessR where he had Massive in the New category and categorized it by Adding it to the Plugin Database (as a favorite).
This option is unfortunately disabled in the demo (it seems) so i can't test it though i feel like maybe after categorizing it I might be able to use it like this. Maybe not with the factory presets but maybe with custom presets (which i also can't create/save in the demo grumble...grumble...).
You seem to be right though with the fact that the N/Cog thing isn't related as I now found a N Plug that worked and 2 Cog-Plugs that didn't :/
I found it weird though as i haven't had any problems with those plugins in Reaper. All seem to work perfectly fine there.

Edit: Ableton Live 9 Lite seems to have similar issues. I think Reaper might do the Program handling in its Wrapper....maybe..?

ExTheSea wrote:I think Reaper might do the Program handling in its Wrapper....maybe..?
Maybe...
How does Reaper assign program & bank numbers? And what if you save your own preset?

No idea what's happening under the hood but:
The factory presets loaded by .fbx files. All presets you create in Reaper are placed before those. So if you have only the factory presets a Program Change 0 (or 1 ... it's late here i forgot where the index starts) will select the first factory one. When you create/save a custom one PC 0 will select this one. So when you have 60 custom presets PC 61 will select the first factory one.
In case there really is no way to do that in FL i found a workaround by rewiring Reaper in FL and load all Plugins that don't work well in FL in regards to PC messages in Reaper and route the midi and audio to it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”