Are we upgrading to Win 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Linux was a derivative of Unix. So was Mac.

I'm not upgrading for the time being. Certain hardware is confirmed not to work in 10 such as those which use nt tapi drivers.

UltraJv wrote:Linux isn't about control. Its a teen infested insult playground.
With all due respect, you couldn't be more incorrect. Every Android phone runs a Linux kernel. Every Google server runs Linux. Every IBM P Series server is designed for Linux. The entirety of Amazon's EC2 cloud service runs on Linux. Pretty much every wireless access point (except Apple) runs Linux. The Sony PS3 and PS4 are built on top of Linux. Smart TVs? That's Linux too.
The list goes on and on.

Linux dominates almost every computing market segment except for Apple products and the desktop. It's almost impossible to communicate with an end-point on the Internet and not traverse at least one device/server running Linux.
UltraJv wrote:Ask a question on a Linux forum and you'll often get insulted, you'll get called a newb or lazy because you haven't read documentation that you didn't know about.
How is that different from almost every other Internet forum? When new users come here and ask "How do I make sound x?" or "What synth is the best?" there is always at least one person that posts something rude or insulting of the new person. Windows and Apple fanboys are are just as prone to this kind of condescending attitude. It's a people thing, not a Linux thing.
It isn't about control because their are too many distros. What version? what kernel? what dependencies? - control - no - confusion - yes. Over 200 at the last count. It isn't about control because it doesn't allow you to run the widest range of software.
I agree that if you're looking for a carefully catered experience with your computer then Linux isn't for you. You're probably best suited to Apple where the hardware is carefully selected and the OS is written for a small subset of all that's available. The real power with Linux is you have the source code. Even if you can't program you can hire someone who can and get the computer to do exactly what you want. Or you can inspect the code for flaws.

Or maybe you don't trust the government and want to make sure there aren't any secret backdoors in the software you are running? Without the source code it becomes very difficult to do. And if you think I'm being paranoid, you might want to read a few of these articles:
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/06/go ... efore-911/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... s-of-firms
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/us-used-ze ... -policies/

You mentioned Hartbleed a while ago. You're flat-out deluding yourself if you don't think bugs like those exist in Windows software or Apple software. Here's just one that's impacted Windows for almost 15 years.
Linux is aimed at the demographic who hate the corporate world. That places most users in the teens to 30 something bracket. That's not a reason to adopt it. WIth Heartbleed and many other 'sploits out there - its a bit of a anti social misfit.
Tell that to Samsung, one of the only companies giving Apple real competition in the high-end smart phone market. Tell that to Amazon, who's Amazon Web Servers comprise almost half a million Linux servers. Tell that to Korg, who use Linux to power their flagship Kronos Keyboard line. Yamaha does too (PDF).

The truth is you probably use Linux in some part of your day without you even realizing it. As aciddose said, "Linux is the corporate world." and I have to agree with him.
Last edited by bmrzycki on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Downloading the W10 iso , taking a long time .......yawn ....I'm gonna burn iso to DVD and wait it out a little long or until I hear something about FireWire being OK ...

I wouldn't upgrade unless you know in writing that your hardware has compliant drivers/support.

I don't think I am rolling back (even though I pondered that yesterday) but if you have a stable Win7 or 8.1 system just stick with it for a few more months at least. I know I should have probably stuck it out another couple of months just because of the strange audio glitching and my browser (Pale Moon, firefox build) sometimes freezing on me now. Had no issues in Win7, should have stuck with it and let Win10 mature a bit more!!

bmrzycki wrote:
With all due respect, you couldn't be more incorrect. Every Android phone runs a Linux kernel. Every Google server runs Linux. Every IBM P Series server is designed for Linux. The entirety of Amazon's EC2 cloud service runs on Linux. Pretty much every wireless access point (except Apple) runs Linux. The Sony PS3 and PS4 are built on top of Linux. Smart TVs? That's Linux too.
The list goes on and on.

Linux dominates almost every computing market segment except for Apple products and the desktop. It's almost impossible to communicate with an end-point on the Internet and not traverse at least one device/server running Linux.
UltraJv wrote:Ask a question on a Linux forum and you'll often get insulted, you'll get called a newb or lazy because you haven't read documentation that you didn't know about.
How is that different from almost every other Internet forum? When new users come here and ask "How do I make sound x?" or "What synth is the best?" there is always at least one person that posts something rude or insulting of the new person. Windows and Apple fanboys are are just as prone to this kind of condescending attitude. It's a people thing, not a Linux thing.
It isn't about control because their are too many distros. What version? what kernel? what dependencies? - control - no - confusion - yes. Over 200 at the last count. It isn't about control because it doesn't allow you to run the widest range of software.
I agree that if you're looking for a carefully catered experience with your computer then Linux isn't for you. You're probably best suited to Apple where the hardware is carefully selected and the OS is written for a small subset of all that's available. The real power with Linux is you have the source code. Even if you can't program you can hire someone who can and get the computer to do exactly what you want. Or you can inspect the code for flaws.

Or maybe you don't trust the government and want to make sure there aren't any secret backdoors in the software you are running? Without the source code it becomes very difficult to do. And if you think I'm being paranoid, you might want to read a few of these articles:

You mentioned Hartbleed a while ago. You're flat-out deluding yourself if you don't think bugs like those exist in Windows software or Apple software. Here's just one that's impacted Windows for almost 15 years.
Linux is aimed at the demographic who hate the corporate world. That places most users in the teens to 30 something bracket. That's not a reason to adopt it. WIth Heartbleed and many other 'sploits out there - its a bit of a anti social misfit.
Tell that to Samsung, one of the only companies giving Apple real competition in the high-end smart phone market. Tell that to Amazon, who's Amazon Web Servers comprise almost half a million Linux servers. Tell that to Korg, who use Linux to power their flagship Kronos Keyboard line. Yamaha does too (PDF).

The truth is you probably use Linux in some part of your day without you even realizing it. As aciddose said, "Linux is the corporate world." and I have to agree with him.
I have used Linux and have OSX on my PC too. The NSA asked Linus to put in a backdoor. They did it politely and then probably went ahead and put them in anyway. That's the trouble with Linux, anyone can modify it so thats a worry. Ive used almost all Os - nothing is perfect. :

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01 ... al-primer/

bmrzycki wrote:
The list goes on and on.

Ive used almost every OS known to man, including BEOS and Solaris so I'm OS agnostic unlike some fanboys. Currently, I have Win 10 and OSX on my PC. Linux is open to abuse as there plenty of opportunities to put all sorts of stuff in - Linus was approached by NSA to put backdoors in - he refused. They probably went ahead and did it anyway.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felt ... t-of-2003/

I find it annoying when someone comes along and says install Linux if your having WIndows problems. Thats not a solution. Nor does it contribute to this thread. Linux is ok but not without problems. Linux fanboys attack Android as being a malware nightmare, go figure. Many Os are used in the corporate world. When exploits in Linux happen, companies like Yamaha, Korg, BT and many other appliance makers etc don't care. There are plenty of appliances out there with 'sploits. Thats why you should never put an OS on any device that could do with just a micro controller. The more devices that use it, the more opportunity there is to gain entry. I have an Android phone. Its not perfect either. Can we move on to the topic now....

Nobody said "install Linux if you have Windows problems".

What I said was, if you want to review the updates and maintain 100% control install Linux or BSD.

BSD is the obvious choice for the control freak, not Linux.

Also, as far as your 100% bullshit comments about the "NSA", how does this not apply to Apple and Microsoft again? In those cases you can't even check to see if there may be a "back door".

Also, most people don't know that in order to be truly secure you need to be secure all the way to the machine code. How many OSes are built with a compiler that is fully assembled from raw machine code initially?

Oh wait, none of them. Except BSD.

You can trust the source-code all you want, but if you don't know what is inside your compiler binary the source-code you use doesn't actually matter. The compiler modifies it!

Ultimately it all comes down to the processor. The opcodes of the processor are "virtual", not real opcodes these days but merely labels for routines/functions the processor executes at a much lower level.

What does this demonstrate? It's always all out of your hands if you have no idea what you're doing. If you think you know what you're doing, it means you have no idea what you're doing.

The purpose of my comments is to expose the childish nature of the complaints about these features of Windows. Try bringing up an objective, practical issue rather than speaking from your ass. For example: I installed Windows 10 but it crashed constantly giving me error messages that said "HAM SWANDITCH" 1000 times repeatedly. Unfortunately for the time being this makes Windows 10 impractical for my uses so I've gone back to 8.1. That would be a mature, practical comment about the OS.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I'm cloning my system disk now. I'll run the upgrade in on the cloned disk and start checking things out. My main issue is with the M-Audio ProjectMix and Firewire support. As Cubase 8 Pro is my DAW, I'll see how that runs too. I know about Steinberg's warning and I should be able to easily switch back to my original disk if there are any problems.

aciddose wrote:For example: I installed Windows 10 but it crashed constantly giving me error messages that said "HAM SWANDITCH" 1000 times repeatedly..
Now this is a little bit too negative for my taste.
What exactly has crashed your system,maybe a outdated driver? :D
Just kidding but please give some evidence about your problem,first guess it could be compiler related since you are a developer.

I already worked with 10 a technical preview,upgraded from a clean Win 7 installation for some months and i very much like the RTM result.

I'm not used to crashes anymore but i'm only using software that is working for me.

I also bought another used cheap Win 7 license to separate the Windows Key,this way i have one OS for my "critical" work to just install my workhorse software.
My other OS is meant to install a bunch of plugins,possibly there are interference's at some point.
My third OS is Graphics related stuff,i keep my stuff separated and boot into the disks respectively.

By the time i became very picky about what to install,in the future i will use the free technical preview or a temporary backup to test new software.

Now talking about the upgrade process.
The windows 7 installation is getting ridiculous long,one update after another and it must be like this until you are up to date to perform the upgrade process to 10 which is pretty exiting fast.

They changed it with Win 10,not only the folder size is smaller but the updates are performed more efficiently,so i read no bloated Windows partition anymore.

About back doors.
Unfortunately i can understand why it must exist and i don't have any problems if an authorized person is verifying and white list me.

There are fears indeed.As i already wrote,the worst case scenario would be a backdoor black market,any people paying for information on how to easily access a computer.

Nevertheless,those things are important to separate in a discussion and i'm somehow sad to see this great OS not getting the respect that it deserve.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote: please give some evidence about your problem,first guess it could be compiler related since you are a developer.
Read it again........... :wink:
aciddose wrote:Try bringing up an objective, practical issue rather than speaking from your ass. For example: I installed Windows 10 but it crashed constantly giving me error messages that said "HAM SWANDITCH" 1000 times repeatedly. Unfortunately for the time being this makes Windows 10 impractical for my uses so I've gone back to 8.1. That would be a mature, practical comment about the OS.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

no

Another feature worth noting, Win10 will share encrypted WiFi logon details, so if you manually share your logon with a friend they will share it with various contacts

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/wind ... -contacts/
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Teksonik wrote:
t3toooo wrote: please give some evidence about your problem,first guess it could be compiler related since you are a developer.
Read it again........... :wink:
aciddose wrote:Try bringing up an objective, practical issue rather than speaking from your ass. For example: I installed Windows 10 but it crashed constantly giving me error messages that said "HAM SWANDITCH" 1000 times repeatedly. Unfortunately for the time being this makes Windows 10 impractical for my uses so I've gone back to 8.1. That would be a mature, practical comment about the OS.
Lol,slipped under my radar. :hihi:
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I love sammiches...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”