Waves RBass vs. Aphex Big Bottom

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i love my RBass, i dunno, some might say u could just eq the lower frequencies, but i prefer using RBass on subby sounds like Kicks, Basses. recently after sawing a mixing video someone used Aphex Big Bottom to give a THIN Vocal more bottom and wow, it sounded really great. sadly he didnt use another plugin to compare ;), so i have no comparison, that's why i wanted to ask you guys if someone has experiences with both if both are similar or if u use them for different situations?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Dude if I may, you need to spend time using the tools you already have instead of looking for new ones literally every day.

Honestly just trying to help.

Your call though 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Caine123 wrote:...so i have no comparison...
You have unintentionally highlighted one of the biggest 'problems' here. Try and get out of the habit of comparing (I know - it's hard - I still do it too sometimes!!) and just use your tools to help get you where you want your music to be. A combination of Rbass and eq (or even eq alone) may get you just as good a result - and you will learn something in the process!
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

you are right definitely :D i just have too much time at work ;D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

RBass actually features a stupid back version of the MaxxBass product, if you're wanting more control over your generated bass harmonics, that might be one place to look.

Another product worth considering is LoAir. The goal of this processor is to actually generate the lower sub frequencies, not the upper harmonics. It is conceivable, though, that the both could be used together.

LoAir may be more useful if the bass fundamental of the music is more higher sounding than what you would normally prefer. So by using LoAir you could actually introduce a subtle amount of low end frequencies to help bolster the bottom end, for a more potentially deeper, richer sound, but use with care. It could also be used to help move more low air on the kick punches.

There is a more modern hardware unit Aphex has put out and it features both its Big Bottom and it's Aural Exciter tech. That unit actually reminds me of another product I thought would be worth while mentioning, the SPL Vitalizer.

That thing is supposedly not the normal run-of-the-mill exciter, but it was designed based on psychoacoustic principles depicted by the the Fletcher-Munsen curve and the way the ear changes frequency response at different loudness levels.

So, I think, by boosting what is lacking at lower levels it tricks the brain into thinking the sound is lower, more present, and more exciting. I think that's the theory.

While its true that you should probably use what you have. There are some tools designed to make workflows more quicker and efficient and time is everything in this day and age. Then there are other tools that do something a bit different, a bit unique, some of those can also be worthwhile investing in as well because they will offer more paints for your palette.

Then sometimes you just want something new and exciting just to get you motivated about mixing again. An occasional bit of retail therapy can actually be good for your creativity and for your soul.

at simon.a.billington :

95% of your posts are Waves praise.
I think it would be important that you make it clear if that's "work" or really just enthusiasm.

Nothing wrong with promoting for money, but it shouldn't be in a sneaky way.

Well first time someone has called me out on my Waves praise. Yeah I use Waves...ALOT, but I don't work for them.

As you can see I'm also a fan of Plugin Alliance, plus I use IK and a few others. My number 1 goto though is usually Waves. Hard to not post tips without suggestions plugins, and i just stick to what I know, what I can verify.

Are my tips not helpful?? The OP posted info regarding Waves R-Bass, I gave them relevant information and even pointed out an interesting device at Plugin Alliance.

Tell you what, if Waves would like to start paying me for saying nice things about their stuff, I might just let them!! ;)

I recently got Waves OneKnob Phatter for bass boosting. Has just a single knob but the rsults are better than those i got using EQs in the past. Anyway i also go the Waves Renaissance EQ now and the combination of both is awesome IMO.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

For the record, I appreciated Simon's post. I had a question, though:
simon.a.billington wrote:RBass actually features a stupid back version of the MaxxBass product
What does this mean, exactly?

UltimateOutsider wrote:For the record, I appreciated Simon's post. I had a question, though:
simon.a.billington wrote:RBass actually features a stupid back version of the MaxxBass product
What does this mean, exactly?
I think he meant that RBass is a simplified version of MaxxBass.
No signature here!

Yeah... Simplified version of MaxxBass... How in the hell did I miss that auto-correct error!! LMAO

It's true though. They took the tech out of the MaxxBass plugin and put it in the R-Bass. The trouble is you don't have any control over the settings.

So if you find you like what R-Bass does, but it isn't quite working out in certain situations or you want more control, try getting your hands on MaxxBass.

Those OneKnob plugins are surprisingly quite usable for just one knobs!!

Reminds me of a couple of simple plugins Sonalksis put out there a while back now
http://www.sonalksis.com/creative.htm

Image Image

I have a couple of their plugins, although I don't have these. You don't really hear much movement from them these days, asides from the very occasional maintenance update. Makes me wonder why they have gone dormant.

FreeG is a free gain plugin with a few other useful features, worthwhile having a look.
http://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.htm

Aphex Big Bottom isn't plugin is it? Hardware typically can sound better than software, but it'll cost ya.

Caine123, do you think you are missing out of some low end for kicks, subs and synth basses? Does RBass sound quite a bit different to you than other subby type sounds you hear from other records?

stikygum wrote:Aphex Big Bottom isn't plugin is it? Hardware typically can sound better than software, but it'll cost ya.

Caine123, do you think you are missing out of some low end for kicks, subs and synth basses? Does RBass sound quite a bit different to you than other subby type sounds you hear from other records?
In the mixing Video i saw he used aphex big bottom for a vocal and it was awesome! I See that big bottom go es toll 400hz and rbass toll 256hz. Thought to Demo it. I dont See big bottom as separate plugin? IT seems to be very expensive as a bundle. I already got waves aural exciter.

Aphex have a more modern unit out there that features both the Big Bottom tech and their Aural Exciter, so there's something for both the bottom and the top end.

That's the unit that reminded me of the SPL Vitalizer, although, I haven seen it in plugin form.

It's just got the boring old name of Exciter though.

simon.a.billington wrote:I haven seen it in plugin form.
There is a set of Aphex plugins from AVID, I assume Pro Tools only.

But the best Aphex plugin is probably this one, will be adding one to my setup soon. (-ish)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Return to “Effects”