Admiral Quality Poly-ana offers custom skinning (and win a free license)!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana

I can do the XML but I can't really start on it until this evening. If I'm on target with the pixels then it should take an hour or two.

If anyone can on to it before then...

I'm thinking that the best way would be to open the background image in any graphics package and use the cursor to find the pixel coordinates.

Edit: Oh and I am in Australia by the way so your evening may not be my evening. It's just gone midday here .... hangover clearing :dog: :oops:

H-man wrote:I can do the XML but I can't really start on it until this evening. If I'm on target with the pixels then it should take an hour or two.

If anyone can on to it before then...

I'm thinking that the best way would be to open the background image in any graphics package and use the cursor to find the pixel coordinates.

Edit: Oh and I am in Australia by the way so your evening may not be my evening. It's just gone midday here .... hangover clearing :dog: :oops:
Awesome H-Man.

Let's combine powers and do a few passbacks until she's singing :). Future designers/skin makers will thank us profusely for this template.

+1.
Get All My Free Plugins/Packs/Etc...
>> http://www.toneden.io/lofiradio >> :phones:

Norbz wrote:Let's combine powers and do a few passbacks until she's singing :)
Cool, I'll pm you when iI'm ready to get going.

Norbz wrote:Thankya!

Here's what a flat(ter) one would look like - removed most shadows/gradiants - left things grey for now:

The sooner someone XML's the above - sooner you guys will have a bunch of photoshoppers be able to create things with ease vs combining the AI/PDF uneditable labels and no background panel elements. With the above you'll be able to grab any text, edit it, move it, change font, etc. Grab any background panel and give it a color/treatment, and generally be able to move stuff around/resize/etc. a lot easier than the current setup.

Bombing resumed lol, and would the real XML pros please stand up. :ud:

Looking good man! I think that flat style is really the way to go. I still don't think you need those extra lines in the envelopes section to divide each into three regions, but no biggie either way.

It would look aspecially good I bet with the dropdown box second from the left (the one to the right of the original):
Norbz wrote: Image

^ Cheers :).

Another tip for figuring out and fine tuning placement :: You could import the image WITH the knobs already there as the background first (maybe inverted/negative or much darker) so you can position the XML elements easier to match them up to the pixel when overlaying each element..

Hey Norbz, I think there's one thing that's a bit confusing about the rearrangement in the osc section. The switches for Dest/waveform mod and for PW/Phase Mod are in the middle between two mod boxes, but they actually only pertain to the modulations on the left. So it would make more sense directly over those mod dropdown on the left side. Also to clear up labels even more than you've done already, you don't actually need the words "Mod" in those labels for the switches, because it's clear those are mod controls. SO for examples the labels for the top switch could be DEST on the left and WAVEFORM on the right. And then the lower ones could just say PW on the left and PHASE on the right. This might give you enough room to slide the switches left to be over the mod dropdown that it is setting the destination for.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Hey Norbz, I think there's one thing that's a bit confusing about the rearrangement in the osc section. The switches for Dest/waveform mod and for PW/Phase Mod are in the middle between two mod boxes, but they actually only pertain to the modulations on the left. So it would make more sense directly over those mod dropdown on the left side. Also to clear up labels even more than you've done already, you don't actually need the words "Mod" in those labels for the switches, because it's clear those are mod controls. SO for examples the labels for the top switch could be DEST on the left and WAVEFORM on the right. And then the lower ones could just say PW on the left and PHASE on the right. This might give you enough room to slide the switches left to be over the mod dropdown that it is setting the destination for.
Oops - So you mean like this? **I've updated the preview and the BG .png's above to match.

EDIT: @ H-man: I'm in Toronto, our timezones are different, if I'm not here please just go ahead, place priority on the knob/element positioning over the labels as I can move them after easy enough (or move them in psd on the BG png file and I'll match here when you're done).

H-man wrote: I'm thinking that the best way would be to open the background image in any graphics package and use the cursor to find the pixel coordinates.
I was doing this with the coordinates display in WIndows Paint so far (as already mentioned earlier in this thread).

Was also able to measure an "offset" for my own knobs. Depending on which knobs you use they could be 30 or more off from the position in the XML file. In many cases this way i wa able to get the right poition at the first try or at least +/- 1 pixel. n others it was more difficult, especially with the 2-way/3-way switches.
You could get the ofset e.g. when adding your knobs to the default sin and checing which offset is needed to get it at the right position.

Anyway the"fine tuning" of the positions could takke longer than the whole "rough" placing. Every time you think you are done you'll find at least a few knobs that still need some tweaking...

Currently editing the positions for a new rearranged "widescreen" version of my own skin. None of the controls has the original position of the default skin or my previous one in that one.
Also using the free GIMP picture editor now for some more complex editing tasks (e.g. anti-aliasing and ading effects).
Of course Knobman is still one of the most important tools for this kind of stuff (e.g. editing knobs and editing labnels directly there).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Norbz PLEASE contact Admiral Quality at his support e-mail address. There are issues with your skin that need to be discussed.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Norbz wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Hey Norbz, I think there's one thing that's a bit confusing about the rearrangement in the osc section. The switches for Dest/waveform mod and for PW/Phase Mod are in the middle between two mod boxes, but they actually only pertain to the modulations on the left. So it would make more sense directly over those mod dropdown on the left side. Also to clear up labels even more than you've done already, you don't actually need the words "Mod" in those labels for the switches, because it's clear those are mod controls. SO for examples the labels for the top switch could be DEST on the left and WAVEFORM on the right. And then the lower ones could just say PW on the left and PHASE on the right. This might give you enough room to slide the switches left to be over the mod dropdown that it is setting the destination for.
Oops - So you mean like this? **I've updated the preview and the BG .png's above to match.

EDIT: @ H-man: I'm in Toronto, our timezones are different, if I'm not here please just go ahead, place priority on the knob/element positioning over the labels as I can move them after easy enough (or move them in psd on the BG png file and I'll match here when you're done).
Yeah. Although if you need to shorten "Waveform" even more I'd just go with Wave rather than Wave-F. And no more boxes around things! ;) The AM and FM modulate the amplitude and frequency in the oscillator section so they should be sectioned off any more than the waveform or phase mod.

Teksonik wrote:Norbz PLEASE contact Admiral Quality at his support e-mail address. There are issues with your skin that need to be discussed.
Heya,

Sorry but I won't be emailing - tell them to come post here where everyone is participating and it's centralized. I can't partition even more time now into back and forth emails. I'm doing this as a template you guys will be able to finalize on your own after.

Norbz wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Norbz PLEASE contact Admiral Quality at his support e-mail address. There are issues with your skin that need to be discussed.
Heya,

Sorry but I won't be emailing - tell them to come post here where everyone is participating and it's centralized. I can't partition even more time now into back and forth emails. I'm doing this as a template you guys will be able to finalize on your own after.
Admiral is banned and can't post here.

I see. If you are his voice, you can post the issues on his behalf?

I really just wanted to do this as a fun exercise for an evening, and now I've spent a great deal of time on it (and enjoyed it :)). I am not creating a finalized skin but rather a template for other designers to follow - you guys will get all the source files and be able to edit at will fixing any issue. H-Man is chopping things up probably as I type so let's wait until he's done and if you can compile AQ's notes and post that would be great.

Work in progress :wink:

Ingo was right about it taking longer than expected. It's fiddly stuff but I have the top row almost done.

Would be interested to know what Mike's concerns are tho.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Norbz wrote:

Yeah. Although if you need to shorten "Waveform" even more I'd just go with Wave rather than Wave-F. And no more boxes around things! ;) The AM and FM modulate the amplitude and frequency in the oscillator section so they should be sectioned off any more than the waveform or phase mod.
Ok I'll wait until H-Man is done and can polish it up. The color separator behind the bottom right on the OSC was more for me to understand it and space things - don't worry you guys will have tons of skins once this is done and everything will still be editable.

Return to “Instruments”