Windows 10 for DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ezelkow1 wrote:http://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/

Theres pcaudiolabs first tests. Looks like MS's claims of bettering wdm latency are true, latency has come down
Are they really comparing HDD performance (Win7) vs SSD (Win8+Win10)!?
They had to use SSD to get improvement over Win7 which was on Seagate HDD...
Hahah, how about doing bench test with Win10 with floppy drive?

Theres pcaudiolabs first tests. Looks like MS's claims of bettering wdm latency are true, latency has come down
Aah, we see the results of the optimized WASAPI stuff. We come closer that people don't need ASIO4All ;)
132 samples for a latency of 3ms are good numbers.

---
Last edited by ClubHo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Last edited by ClubHo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1. Everything works perfectly fine (DAW, plug-ins, iLok, eLicenser, etc). And I´ve noticed things run much smoother than on Win 8.1. So far, cannot be more happy.

I have upgraded one laptop ( no DAW though) and zero problems. But my desktop and laptop that I use for music production, I haven't yet because it just says "OK notify me later when ready" or something like that!

Is there a way to accelerate this process? If I download the iso file from Microsoft and boot it, can I upgrade with it? I don't want a clean install.

EnGee wrote:I have upgraded one laptop ( no DAW though) and zero problems. But my desktop and laptop that I use for music production, I haven't yet because it just says "OK notify me later when ready" or something like that!

Is there a way to accelerate this process? If I download the iso file from Microsoft and boot it, can I upgrade with it? I don't want a clean install.
Yes you can. Thats what I did. So just go ahead and download the iso file.

Yep, works nicely EnGee. Did that on 2 computers already.

4damind wrote:

Aah, we see the results of the optimized WASAPI stuff. We come closer that people don't need ASIO4All ;)
132 samples for a latency of 3ms are good numbers.
So if i understand that right, there'll be no need for an ASIO driver now anymore, as WDM already provides low latency?

Just fired up Studio One 2 Producer btw, and chose Windows Audio as audio driver. There's a slider which lets you choose the latency, but it only lets you choose in 10 ms steps, and the 10 ms step seems to have no effect here... when i choose 20 ms, it sets the buffer to 256 samples and the input and output latency is shown as 23.22 ms here. Only tried Spire, but i could play it without pops or clicks. Cubase 8 Elements doesn't let me choose WMD as a driver, only its own generic ASIO driver, or ASIO4ALL.

ckam03 wrote:
EnGee wrote:I have upgraded one laptop ( no DAW though) and zero problems. But my desktop and laptop that I use for music production, I haven't yet because it just says "OK notify me later when ready" or something like that!

Yes you can. Thats what I did. So just go ahead and download the iso file.
chk071 wrote: Yep, works nicely EnGee. Did that on 2 computers already.
Thank you both :)

I'm going to download it now then :D

I'm waiting on EchoAudio and FireWire support info before I take the plunge still . Windows10 looks nice though .

Jax Pok wrote:Found a fix for ilok manager not launching in windows 10 that works for me.

In windows search box type services.msc
Click it
scroll down to pace in the list, think I right clicked it and clicked start.

Ilok manager should now launch.

Thanks Jax-Pok... Worked like a charm.......
Thanks again... Peace.. :pray: :pray:

Just upgraded my 8.1 to 10 and so far it feels very nice. As of now I've briefly ran Reason 8.3, Studio One Pro 3, Samplitude ProX2, and Reaper. All of them have played nice thus far. If anything if feels a bit quicker in general than 8 and I must admit I like the interface better on this version. Ill try and put it through its paces with my plugin library tomorrow and i'll give any updates I have. :tu:
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

sonicpowa wrote:

Are they really comparing HDD performance (Win7) vs SSD (Win8+Win10)!?
They had to use SSD to get improvement over Win7 which was on Seagate HDD...
Hahah, how about doing bench test with Win10 with floppy drive?
(bolded by me)
Seriously... look up those hd's. That is hilarious :)

pcaudiolabs has a good rep? Cause this is a joke.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

I did the upgrade for 3 PCs ( + 2 soon).

I just tested studio one artist v3, spectre (utility for The blofeld) and e-media piano tutorial. All worked fine.

Yes, it seems faster than 8 and 7. Even my mother told me that she feels her laptop faster than win 7 but she liked 7 interface/feel more.

Actually, me too! I liked 8.1 more but maybe with time I would like it more?

I think it needs updates in the near future. The task bar is smaller than in 8.
Steam has a problem when I maximise the video trials of the games in the store page. The screen becomes all white but it works fine with small size videos of steam. edit: it works now after some restarts!

The virtual desktop is a nice addition. It might contribute to a better workflow with one monitor setup.

Time to test thoroughly :neutral:

It is good :tu:
Last edited by EnGee on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”