Synced Noise

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was just playing around with Ichiro Toda's Synth 1 when I suddenly noticed that you can sync a noise waveform, which sounds wonderful when you cross-fade between a saw and the synced noise. Anyway to do this in Zebra 2? I don't see any sync controls for the noise oscs :cry:

If the noise is a sample&hold with noise input, that works exactly like a normal oscillator. So it makes sense that it can be sync'd (in other words, triggered to sample and reset phase) on the sync signal from another oscillator. In fact it is a normal oscillator producing the "sample" pulses.

If the noise is filtered/colored noise however this wouldn't work.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:If the noise is a sample&hold with noise input, that works exactly like a normal oscillator. So it makes sense that it can be sync'd (in other words, triggered to sample and reset phase) on the sync signal from another oscillator. In fact it is a normal oscillator producing the "sample" pulses.

If the noise is filtered/colored noise however this wouldn't work.
All true. The way Synth1 does it is beautiful. I'm still trying to find a way to sync the Noise Oscs in Zebra2 :neutral:

If they don't work exactly the same as any other oscillator, you probably can't.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:If they don't work exactly the same as any other oscillator, you probably can't.
Yeah, the noise oscillators in Z2 are completely separate from the regular oscillators with phase and sync controls. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. Funny though that a free synth can do something a commercial semi modular synth can't.

Have you checked the mod matrix? I'd probably have sync as an option on the oscillator section, but you never know.

It could have "osc sync" or similar as destinations and sources. If I wanted to save space that is how I'd do it.

Sync isn't offered as a mod source in Z2, but it wouldn't really matter since the noise oscillators don't seem to have an input that receives pitch information. You can run noise through a filter when it's self oscillating, which is cool but it's totally not the same thing. That's why I was so surprised when I curiously pushed the sync button while playing notes with a noise waveform in Synth1. It's a really cool sound!

I guess I could just sample the noise to a single cycle waveform and then create a wavetable with Wave2Zebra2, then use the main oscillator's sync controls.

I think that's actually how synth1 does it. The "sync" doesn't just trigger a new sample but triggers a reseed of the random number generator. That means the same section of noise repeats over and over.

You can get the same effect with a looped sample for sure.

I tried a couple times with a sampled noise waveform. For some reason, the Wave2Zebra2 app is smoothing the waveform. Plus, It's also exporting only GeoBlend wavetables, which I guess is okay. But the smoothing kills the noise :\

Return to “Sound Design”