Mac synth for Sci fi/High tech sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I'm trying to recreate the high tech/sci fi telemetry, beeps, bleeps, alarms type sounds typical to the marvel superheroes films.

I was wondering if you could possibly recomend synth/s that you use for these type of sounds. I'm not a synth wizard, it would be great to start with presets and reverse engineer them.

Cheers!!

Hmmm. Off the top of my head it would be Mpowersynth, Zebra and Electra2. I would say to give Zebra a shot first though.

shilshoolon1 wrote:Hi there,

I'm trying to recreate the high tech/sci fi telemetry, beeps, bleeps, alarms type sounds
http://soundmorph.com/?page=products&spack=ga
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I would second Galactic Assistant, but suggest if you like that you buy the software bundle instead, to get Timeflux and Wavewarper also.
whyterabbyt wrote:
shilshoolon1 wrote:Hi there,

I'm trying to recreate the high tech/sci fi telemetry, beeps, bleeps, alarms type sounds
http://soundmorph.com/?page=products&spack=ga

Anything FM for sci-fi sounds and be prepared to pass through a frequency shifter and or delays (small delay amounts work best for UI beeps... just a notch above what you dial in for modulation delay effects (chorus/phaser, etc...).

FM8 gets used a lot, but I personally find it clumsy to use and for sci-fi sounds it is overly complex for that need. If you have Live, Operator is absolutely wonderful and quick to use. Plus Live's internal delays actually work great when you change it to free instead of sync to host modes.

You can definitely use just about synth out there, but if you take the time to listen, most scifi sounds (those beeps/bleeps/alarms) are usually sine wave based... not to say nothing else is used, because everything is used, from various recordings, to various wave forms, various distortion types, various processing chains... anything goes. It is something that hasn't existed before so it is the one place you can go nuts with your imagination).

Hope that helps.

And I believe there are free FM synths if you don't own one, or at least there are cheap ones out there too.

Lots of people use sample based stuff... which is easier

For a synth. my favorite is Bazille. It'll take a bit of work to get to know it, but the quality of sounds is high. It is also good for all sorts of mechanical sounds, whirs, engines, various machine noises etc. Likewise for more organic sounds like gurgles, bubbling stuff, eerie crying sounds, birds, etc... which can all be made more mechanized too.

A.c.e, Bazille, Aalto, Kaivo
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Aalto
+1 on that rec.

Also great for more retro sounding scifi noises too (Forbidden Planet etc).

Perhaps also Humanoid Sound's Enzyme.... Unique but a bit more complex sounds than you may want tho'. You can get a free monosynth version of Aalto through Beat magazine. The "Alessandro's Machines" patches have great bleeps & the factory Textures.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Great suggestions, thank you!

http://vk.com/wall161447783_2951 (press the play button at the bottom of the message)
A 2 years old track which I did as a sound design exercise with Monark. No other synths or FX, except IIRC a little reverb on a couple of sounds. Depending on what you're looking for might or might not be it.

Absynth

Return to “Instruments”