Are we upgrading to Win 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's not the last, they just ditch the numbering.

sonicpowa wrote:Quote from Forbes article: "the software is free until it’s not" and I´m afraid it´s true.
Microsoft has been talking about Windows10, but it will evolve to "Windows" after a few years. Then what? Windows is not Windows10 and it can be anything, it´s naive to presume Win10 is really the last Win os. It´s just business.
Why not wait and see? For now, it is 10 years or free updates. Who knows's what's coming then. I will probably have 2 generations of computers until then, so the machines running Windows 10 now will be most probably retired by then.

^ Sure, wait, but I think I´m sticking with Win7 anyway which is the best of their OS IMHO. And if you are using proper ASIO drivers then updates for Win audio means next to nothing for pro users.
I´m a little sceptical when MS is announcing something free just so they can spread the joy and happiness of using Windoze.

Upgraded to WinX last night on my internet (not music) computer with minor issues that now likely resolved. So far so good. Already missing the Metro of Win 8.

sonicpowa wrote:^ Sure, wait, but I think I´m sticking with Win7 anyway which is the best of their OS IMHO. And if you are using proper ASIO drivers then updates for Win audio means next to nothing for pro users.
You'd be surprised how much better performance in both 8.1 and 10 is. :) On 10 it's actually such an improvement that even my crappy old netbook runs mostly fluently, and it was pretty pretty slow with Windows 7 Starter. Granted, won't have such an impact if your computer is at least half decent.

Just went for it to see what happened. The world didn't end or anything like that, but my touchpad mouse isn't working correctly. Will plug a USB mouse in tonight while I get it fixed - seems MS installed their driver and I probably just need to get the manufacturer's driver.
Sweet child in time...

I certainly will not be upgrading any of my work machines. I will continue to use it on a virtual machine just because I need to know all the latest fads.

But overall I absolutely hate Windows 10. It's nothing than Windows 8 with a half-assed makeover of start screen. I hate the new look so so very much. And its really shocking how dumbed down the Windows 10 is. Hell, you can't even customize your UI colors anymore. This was the first thing I want the to do as it started to get to my eyes really quickly. But lo and behold! the UI customization possibilities are nonexistent. You can not even choose the custom colors for anything.

And don't even get me started about all the default privacy and security settings and all that online crap that is forced on you.

There's actually no compelling reason to upgrade anyway. And upgrading is a big step backwards in many ways.
Last edited by robotmonkey on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No signature here!

Mushy Mushy wrote:Still need to move to W7.
10 is about 15 years away for me :lol:
Same here. I have a perfect system with Vista and I'm very reluctant to change.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

VitaminD wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:im holding out for as long as i possibly can on win7. why?

"Windows 10 will be the last numbered version of the OS and going forward it will simply become a ‘Windows’ subscription service. This upsets those who don’t like the idea of a subscription service, but the biggest concern is this: while Windows 10 will seamlessly upgrade to ‘Windows’ – this is a new beginning. Your OS would evolve into a new product for which you have to pay."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... high-cost/

soooo...the "free" win10 is a honey pot.

thanks...but i think ill pass.
We've already proven that one false in the other big win10 thread on kvr. MS has already stated 10 years of support for windows 10 and no sub service to the o/s.
i still dont see it...can someone point me to where this was "proven" to be wrong?

the way im reading this is:

windows 10 is free. free updates and support for windows 10 promised for 10 years.

ok that sounds nice.

the automatic updates in windows 10 are mandatory and cant be turned off.

at some point (2 years? 5 years? i dont know) windows 10 auto updates to "windows" (no 10)...

the agreement to support windows 10 for free doesnt matter because youre not on windows 10 anymore.

pay microsoft.

dont get me wrong...im not saying that this is how it WILL work...im saying this is how the article said its gonna go.

ive been told thats been proven to be wrong...im just asking where that proof is.
ImageImageImage

What UI are you talking about? The Edge? I am kind of irritated that they do not color code the tabs any more. But you can change the custom colors of your window tabs in taskbar, you tiles. What else do you need to change? I do not know why people had issue with Metro. I really liked to be able to see all my programs on that large screen. Not it is smaller and I dont know how to make it full screen. But I only use it so often... I don't know what some of you like about Win 7. I used Win XP on my music computer for 9 years because I spent $4000 on Dell workstation in 2004. I did not listen anybody and insisted that it is a good computer. It was not. So I built new workstation myself and now get to do what ever I like with it any time. I do kind of worry about the software synths going insane in Win 10, but I dont think there is such a serious change in 10. I have all my settings unchanged, backgrounds, screen resolution, passwords- everything acts the same, minus Edge, which I kind of like, minus white tabs. I may do my music computer in a day or two. I can not continue improving it and installing new software in Win 8 environment, knowing that the more I install, the more chances- I will have issue with upgrade. My music computer has all software synths in the world- I will let you all know what survived. lol. I want to hear from Native Instruments, as their software is easily destabilized. Like Maschine drivers- worry me very much as they never worked well in Win 8...

Astralv wrote:I want to hear from Native Instruments, as their software is easily destabilized. Like Maschine drivers- worry me very much as they never worked well in Win 8...
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but according to NI website, none of their stuff is working correctly with Win10, and they recommend not upgrading just yet. I've been having some issues with Win 8.1 and my Audio Kontrol 1 not working as it used to (no more midi control), as well as the latest version of Replika not working in Live 9 under Win8.1 ...

chaosWyrM wrote:at some point (2 years? 5 years? i dont know) windows 10 auto updates to "windows" (no 10)...
That doesn't make any sense. Where do you get this idea?

What they mean is "Windows 10" is "just Windows". They're not going to have any new version, ever, period.

Sort of like Firefox or Chrome or so on. You can number it by "release" or in the case of Windows by "update" but that will be it. No further "major upgrade" will ever occur.

This is called "perpetual beta".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_beta

I think the only reason people are having a hard time with understanding this is they never understood how it worked. A "release" is just an arbitrary point the developer decides to provide you with a new version. "Perpetual beta" eliminates this arbitrarity and you get the new version (update) whenever it's ready. It isn't artificially held back for a "big release".

For example you download the new version of your plugins when bugs are fixed or features are added, right? So the "version" you have is actually just totally arbitrary. You actually have revision #812 or something, not "version 3.065". Does this cause you major issues? Or is it beneficial to get those bug fixes now without having to wait for a new major version and pay all over again?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Manually downloaded the upgrade

Upgraded an old HP 620 from win7 pro
core2duo 2.2Ghz
4Gb Ram

Everything fine so far and uses similar resources to Win7.
No driver problems or missing devices

Installed FL Studio 12 and current ASIO4all driver
Default demo project runs the same as it did under Win7

My only gripe is default window border colour (not referring to FL studio) is white and no obvious way to change it so multiple overlapping windows kind of merge together. Have to download a different theme to change it.

Will disable the update service to stop updates

I like it just as much as Win7 and 8
Amazon: why not use an alternative

aciddose wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:at some point (2 years? 5 years? i dont know) windows 10 auto updates to "windows" (no 10)...
That doesn't make any sense. Where do you get this idea?

What they mean is "Windows 10" is "just Windows". They're not going to have any new version, ever, period.

Sort of like Firefox or Chrome or so on. You can number it by "release" or in the case of Windows by "update" but that will be it. No further "major upgrade" will ever occur.

This is called "perpetual beta".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_beta

I think the only reason people are having a hard time with understanding this is they never understood how it worked. A "release" is just an arbitrary point the developer decides to provide you with a new version. "Perpetual beta" eliminates this arbitrarity and you get the new version (update) whenever it's ready. It isn't artificially held back for a "big release".

For example you download the new version of your plugins when bugs are fixed or features are added, right? So the "version" you have is actually just totally arbitrary. You actually have revision #812 or something, not "version 3.065". Does this cause you major issues? Or is it beneficial to get those bug fixes now without having to wait for a new major version and pay all over again?
i dont see how it doesnt make sense.

according to that logic windows 98 is windows 10.

where am i getting the idea? from the link i posted.

again...im not saying your wrong...but ive also not seen anything that says youre right. which is why ive been asking for someone to point to where it says that...officially.

i dont necessarily believe the article...but i dont necessarily believe you either...id like to read it for myself.
ImageImageImage

aciddose wrote:I think the only reason people are having a hard time with understanding this is they never understood how it worked. A "release" is just an arbitrary point the developer decides to provide you with a new version. "Perpetual beta" eliminates this arbitrarity and you get the new version (update) whenever it's ready. It isn't artificially held back for a "big release".
I do understand how it works. Up until now, i could look at a list of new features, and decide if an upgrade (OS and/or hardware) was right for me. Now that choice is gone. They will add 'new security fixes and features' to the product that already exists, that is already on the system. You need to join the LTSB to avoid those new features, and only recieve the security updates.

"Windows 10 is automatically updated. Additional requirements will apply over time for updates." - http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/features

According to a Microsoft presentation slide that was shared with partners, IT administrators can delay new Windows features from being pushed out to enterprise users for up to ten years. Through Microsoft's Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) support, a feature exclusive to Windows 10 Enterprise, IT managers can now delay the delivery of new features for up to ten years. Regular security updates and bug fixes will still be available to users.

If you dont like the 'feature' too bad. If your computer doesnt meet the requirements, too bad. Too bad, or you can start disabling services, updates, etc. But but but, were supposed to stay up to date and not fear our daws online right?

Edit: Software Protection service breaks Geniune status of windows, clearly MS posesses the coding genius to make a service mandatory for operation. I would expect them to do the same with the updating service, and all of its dependenies, on the home edition in the future. If it works to their advantage, dont be utterly surprised if mandatory updates becomes a 'feature' for everything except LTSB.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”