Windows 10 **FORCED** OS updates -- thoughts?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes. Yes, they have done forced updates that did not notify the user. You aren't aware of them for that very reason.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:Yes. Yes, they have done forced updates that did not notify the user. You aren't aware of them for that very reason.
Apple has only ever pushed one update, and that update was for a very serious vulnerability and only pushed to computers with automatic updates activated.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-updates- ... l-hackers/
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I use my laptop when I'm at work, my only internet access is with it tethered to my mobile. I have a monthly data limit of 4GB, i would rather only download updates when I'm at home, this is not an option.

Also, thanks to whoever pointed out the update sharing, another box to untick.

It's Windows, there will be a hack for everything uncomfortable soon.

I haven't used windoze for many years for audio production, but when I did, I had a separate partition/boot for audio and it never (and I mean NEVER) was allowed to connect to the web or have any services running that could interrupt or interfere with audio.

If I was recording or doing critical work and my DAW machine was online, I would kill the wifi etc to avoid any interruptions etc. Why would you want to do it any other way?

If a user gets interrupted by automatic updates then that's just punishment for being stupid. Keep your DAW offline and turn that stuff off!

And get real, since when did you expect anything good from MS? Even Apple are shite these days so this is no news at all if you ask me!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Scottex wrote:But still like more Win7 wich at the same clock speed is faster...
Not really. All the pro benchmarks disagree with you. W8 was faster than W7, and W10 is faster than W8. The same is the case with RAM consumption - W10 consumes less RAM than W8 and W7.

True, technically spoken.

But are the better figures noticable in a practical production environment?

I mean I don't care if I have 45 instead of 40 FPS in a game, but if I could get 60 instead it would be worth the effort (just random numbers to illustrate, haven't played on my PC in a while).

billcarroll wrote:Even better ...

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07 ... e-updates/
Even though i am an advocat of torrent use, that was quite some WTF moment... if they implement such a feature, it should surely be turned OFF by default...

If it were turned off most people would never bother to enable it. Sort of like donations vs. taxes or fees. If you're selling a commercial product that you refuse to distribute without a fee you'll certainly make more money than making that fee optional.

If we didn't have tax as much as people hate it (although sales/consumption taxes are stupid, god-awful things) we'd all excepting the rich be living in the squalor of one of the repressive dictatorships where there are no public services like medicine, highways, education, a police force that isn't abhorrently corrupt and so on.

You can give people the option to opt-out, but such should most definitely be opt-out to take advantage of the resources most users have readily available. The alternative is equivalent to hording bandwidth on local networks which drags down the efficiency of the complete network.

This act by Microsoft could have a major influence on the amount of bandwidth going through major parts of the backbone of the internet.

Again, if it is really so horrible anyone can disable it. They just need to be motivated enough to put in the effort, which is better than depending upon them to be motivated enough to enable it, which they wouldn't be.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:If it were turned off most people would never bother to enable it.
True that. So another "dummy" user thing.

2ZrgE wrote:True, technically spoken.

But are the better figures noticable in a practical production environment?
When I went from Win 7 to 8, the performance improvement was dramatic. Boot time was easily cut in half. My DAW, Sonar, was instantly zippier, more responsive. Just a huge, huge improvement.

And no, it wasn't simply a result of a clean OS install. I had done a few clean re-installs of Win 7, and never got a marked performance improvement.

Obviously, YMMV, but going from 7 to 8 was, for me, like night and day.

Boot time isn't of much importance for me. Good to know I have at least one year to decide.

aciddose wrote:If it were turned off most people would never bother to enable it. Sort of like donations vs. taxes or fees. If you're selling a commercial product that you refuse to distribute without a fee you'll certainly make more money than making that fee optional.

If we didn't have tax as much as people hate it (although sales/consumption taxes are stupid, god-awful things) we'd all excepting the rich be living in the squalor of one of the repressive dictatorships where there are no public services like medicine, highways, education, a police force that isn't abhorrently corrupt and so on.

You can give people the option to opt-out, but such should most definitely be opt-out to take advantage of the resources most users have readily available. The alternative is equivalent to hording bandwidth on local networks which drags down the efficiency of the complete network.

This act by Microsoft could have a major influence on the amount of bandwidth going through major parts of the backbone of the internet.

Again, if it is really so horrible anyone can disable it. They just need to be motivated enough to put in the effort, which is better than depending upon them to be motivated enough to enable it, which they wouldn't be.
Microsoft has no right to turn Windows 10 users into torrent nodes, using their bandwidth without their knowledge. Not everyone has unlimited data use, and this could cause quite a few customers grief with charges from their Internet provider.
The problem comes in the fact that Microsoft has enabled this option by default and that no notice is provided to customers that Windows is, in the background, using some of their bandwidth and their data for updating other users' Windows. Several web sites have already called Microsoft out for this and what they - and other consumers - find to be misallocation of their network without permission.
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is ... ws-updates

There will likely be legal ramifications, and Microsoft will be forced to turn "Delivery Optimization" off by default.

How do I turn Delivery Optimization off?

1. Go to Start Start button icon, then Settings > Update & security > Windows Update , and then select Advanced options.
2. On the Advanced options page, select Choose how updates are delivered, and then use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off. When turned off, you'll still get updates and apps from Windows Update and from the Windows Store.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

EvilDragon wrote:
Scottex wrote:But still like more Win7 wich at the same clock speed is faster...
Not really. All the pro benchmarks disagree with you. W8 was faster than W7, and W10 is faster than W8. The same is the case with RAM consumption - W10 consumes less RAM than W8 and W7.
I'm sure that everyone has different machines, i know my machines very well as most of us here. So i tried Win10 in dual boot with my Win7. Guess what... Installed WIn10 in a new partition and this broken my Win7 startup. tried everything from DVD to 3rd party app. Nothing Win7 broken...

Aside from that i tried it a little bit and found that my pc was installing 3rd party stuff without my permission. i can name a few Turbo booster, Turbo browser, Speed optimizer without my permission. So i runned task manager and found some lame malaware in my system. The last time i found those guys was in the XP days back n the 2005. Really awkward.

I'm already formatting my laptop. If Win10 works for you, i'm happy for you bro. But IMO it's really hard to believe that is better than a tweaked Win7. Are really peoply liking those flat GUI over the Aero trasparency thing??

When i tried Win10 use at least 2,10 gb of ram, as you can seen mine Ultimate X64 use only 700 mb...

billcarroll wrote:Microsoft has no right to turn Windows 10 users into torrent nodes, using their bandwidth without their knowledge.
Have you by any chance seen recent studies on advertising fraud in free "apps" on phones and tablets?

Have you seen the results of the legal cases?

I'm guessing, no.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”