Pro-Tools Free is out. At least it is for moi...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro Tools Ultimate

qtheerearranger wrote:well i want to know why they aren't giving pro tools and pro tools hd users cloud yet when the free version is forced to use it... avid.. make some sense of your strategies lol.
As far as I can see the free version is forced to use it because:
Pro Tools | First only saves projects to the cloud in your Avid Master Account and three are included free.
Not a big deal IMO.

MaxSynths wrote:
Pro Tools | First only saves projects to the cloud in your Avid Master Account and three are included free.
Not a big deal IMO.
three simultaneous 'live' projects with local archiving of unused projects wouldnt be a big deal.

three total projects ever, unless you want to delete your previous work or pay for more storage, somewhat is.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:
Not a big deal IMO.
three simultaneous 'live' projects with local archiving of unused projects wouldnt be a big deal.

three total projects ever, unless you want to delete your previous work or pay for more storage, somewhat is.

I don't get it or I'm missing something (never used Pro Tools). "Projects" means "songs"? It means the user can create only 3 songs/projects...? If so I can't see the why someone should bother to download it...

MaxSynths wrote: I don't get it or I'm missing something (never used Pro Tools). "Projects" means "songs"? It means the user can create only 3 songs/projects...? If so I can't see the why someone should bother to download it...
The "free" part is three projects.
You can buy in to store more.

It's like "free to play" for games - you cannot really do anything serious unless you pay.

And plugins you need to buy from Avid store - another pay again.
3rd party you might have that also are AAX 64-bit cannot be used.

And buying plugins - is that also combined with annual fees, or one time buy.
It seems all go towards rental model or at least annual charges.

Project saves are not compatible with full version PT - so no collaboration there with folks having full versions.

And starting projects in PT1st you cannot upgrade and continue what you started either.

It's hard to see purpose of ProTools|First with these limitations.
They can skip EDU versions maybe and schools and student can learn with less cost.
Last edited by lfm on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxSynths wrote:I don't get it or I'm missing something (never used Pro Tools). "Projects" means "songs"? It means the user can create only 3 songs/projects...? If so I can't see the why someone should bother to download it...
... which is pretty much why I was enquiring about whether projects could be archived or something similar. :bang:

whyterabbyt wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:I don't get it or I'm missing something (never used Pro Tools). "Projects" means "songs"? It means the user can create only 3 songs/projects...? If so I can't see the why someone should bother to download it...
... which is pretty much why I was enquiring about whether projects could be archived or something similar. :bang:
According to the post by lfm (thanks for the info!) it seems there are too many restrictions in my opinion.
I think that there is no way to archive the projects locally, otherwise the choice to limit the save function on cloud only wouldn't make sense. Maybe we'll have more detailed info later, I don't know. For now I don't feel the urge to give it a try (although I would like to try PT, sooner or later).

MaxSynths wrote: Maybe we'll have more detailed info later, I don't know.
If only someone would think to ask somebody who actually had their copy....

trimph1 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Downloaded ProTools Free this morning. After throwing everything AAX into it...finding it quite stable.

It appears that the emails announcing your copy is getting quicker as well. 8) :hihi:
Are you able to load third party AAX plugins into this? What about Avid AAX plugins that don't come bundled with Free?
Seems to support any AAX plugin, third party or Avid's own
That would be huge for me - I was under the impression from their website that the only non-bundled AAX plugs it would support would be ones you purchased "in app" at the Avid store . . . .
Ummmm...got to check that out...I did get some out of the in-app store. I may have misread something... :help:
Hi trimph1 - would you mind taking a look when you have a chance, since you've already downloaded it? No sense in me going through the effort if this limitation is present. Thanks!

bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Downloaded ProTools Free this morning. After throwing everything AAX into it...finding it quite stable.

It appears that the emails announcing your copy is getting quicker as well. 8) :hihi:
Are you able to load third party AAX plugins into this? What about Avid AAX plugins that don't come bundled with Free?
Seems to support any AAX plugin, third party or Avid's own
That would be huge for me - I was under the impression from their website that the only non-bundled AAX plugs it would support would be ones you purchased "in app" at the Avid store . . . .
Ummmm...got to check that out...I did get some out of the in-app store. I may have misread something... :help:
Hi trimph1 - would you mind taking a look when you have a chance, since you've already downloaded it? No sense in me going through the effort if this limitation is present. Thanks!
Nope. No third party plugins... :dog:
My comprehension skills went AWOL on me. :x
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

whyterabbyt wrote:
Only three allowed for cloud storage. Full projects. :? :help:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

:?

Thanks for the info anyway.

Yes, thanks!

trimph1 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
cheers. disappointing. i'll mention it to our students, but i think i'll pass on actually recommending it.

whyterabbyt wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
cheers. disappointing. i'll mention it to our students, but i think i'll pass on actually recommending it.

Same here. I only hope Avid will notice that the limitations do not make it so different from a demo version and no so appetible to possible users/customers and add some more features. Something like the free version of S1 would be great (even audio only + proprietary instruments would be ok for me).

Had the joy of recieving this message
Pro Tools | First is here.....Click the button below to begin a short download and activation process.
Only to find the registration process never comes full circle leading to a download or activation process.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”