Windows 10 for DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"not supported" does not mean it wont work, it just means it hasn been thoroughly tested or updated to gurantee it will work.

I dont get the whinning, just dont upgrade yet, if you do its your own risk, how the hell is MS supposed to support every configuration, driver and software out there, thats not there responsibility.

I was happy that Win8 was great on my core2duo hardware and fully expect Win1o to do the same.

Mac users certainly cant expect this level of support for a new OS on old hardware and expect it to work lol
Amazon: why not use an alternative

FWIW running Windows 10 on a netbook here. Didn't have to install one driver, everything works out of the box except for the brightness control which is kind of a weird Samsung/Intel thing which already didn't work on Windows 8.1. The performance is very good, even on such a low spec device, much better than on the Windows 7 Starter it shipped with. It's sort of my guniea pig device to see how Windows 10 is running. So far it's flawless, really impressed. Can't tell for every system specification of course, but especially a bit older stuff should be well supported, at least if the hardware is more or less standard.

So, are people having to reactivate their protected software licenses?

Anyone using Sonar 8.5.3 on Win 10?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Ditto on the question...

For licenses that are not on a dongle, ie Hardware checkes, etc (such as Waves) is it working with Windows 10 or are you having to reauthorize?

Nightpolymath wrote:My rule of thumb for Windows is to upgrade to an OS prior to the new one, so I guess it's time to move from 7 and get 8.1.
Do not get 8.1. It is a disaster. It is a constant source of frustration for me. I can't wait to get off of it. Either upgrade to 10 or stay on 7.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Though i wouldn't refer to Windows 8.1 as a "nightmare", i'd agree that it doesn't make much sense to update to 8.1 when you can get Windows 10 for free now. Windows 10 is everything 8.1 is and more, and is also more refined at what it is.

thejonsolo wrote:Ditto on the question...

For licenses that are not on a dongle, ie Hardware checkes, etc (such as Waves) is it working with Windows 10 or are you having to reauthorize?
Nope, so far live, s1v3, reason, bitwig, all started up fine. Tested some of the more notorious ones that always have fits with changes like circle, the air plugins, the korg legacy, NI plugins, all fine. Tested u-he, alchemy, couple others, all good as well. So absolutely no issues on the license side.

In fact no issues what so ever as far as previously installed apps go, every single one of my games(and i have alot) have all worked flawlessly.

I have only had 2 issues so far:
1) I was using the focusrite beta drivers for my scarlett, after install it looks like it had both the beta and official drivers installed and that may have caused conflicts because I was getting audio crackles in live with very little usage. Uninstalled all focusrite drivers and went back to the official and now I have no issues

2) This is a known windows bug, if you have more than 512 items in your start menu you've hit their DB limit. So you will not see everything and be unable to pin anything not in your start menu to the menu. You have to either uninstall apps and hope the ones you want get populated, or wait for a fix which will probably be coming shortly

That last niggle I have is with cortana. Every other 'app-esque' app from the windows store allows you to login specifically for that app. Cortana on the other hand requires that you change your entire PCs account to your microsoft account. I refuse to do this and so I cannot use cortana. So some day I hope they make cortana like everything else and allow you to login specifically for it and leave your pc account alone. Not a big loss though since normal searching still works as before, you just lose out on the voice/web/whatever stuff cortana brings

thejonsolo wrote:For licenses that are not on a dongle, ie Hardware checkes, etc (such as Waves) is it working with Windows 10 or are you having to reauthorize?
It depends on how the plugin vendor did their authorization. I read that XLN Audio's require a reauthorization.

Native Instruments anyone? Remember I DID request a list over in instruments and got ignored. NOW would be a good time to sticky, no?

NI works fine without reauthorization it seems.

Thanks... it is time to start a list.

CW just released the August update for Sonar with... Surprise!... Windows 10 support!

I don't plan to upgrade to Win 10 till next year (Win 8.1 is rock solid for me), but it's nice to know it's there when I'm ready. :tu:

Jace-BeOS wrote:So, are people having to reactivate their protected software licenses?

Anyone using Sonar 8.5.3 on Win 10?
Sonic Charge plugins seem to get de-authorised. No biggie to reauthorise if connected to the net though.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

bmrzycki wrote:I've downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO with this Microsoft tool. I plan on holding off a bit until a few more companies give the green light to supporting it.

I have a question to all those that upgraded for free: what windows key did you use? Was it the one that came with your current Windows OS? I haven't seen a way to get a Windows 10 key for a clean install...
I think you have to initially perform the in place upgrade to win 10. After that windows generates a new key for you. I ran a script and pulled mine out of the registry. it is a completely different key from my retail windows 7 key.

So I am suspecting I could blow away the entire drive.. or even get an entirely new drive, install win 10 with the ISO the MS provided ISO tool generated and then feed it the key I pulled from registry to use to activate it.

At least that is my theory. Unless you are developing for the new Windows store, are in an IT field where you need to keep up with the new o/s, just HAVE to have the latest, or enjoy whips and chains (as one of my CS professors once said, though he was referencing programming in JAVA) then I'd let windows 10 mature a lot more. More so with letting 3rd party hardware get approved, fully working drivers. I did NOT do my homework on the driver situation thinking with the huge number of folks in the different dev rings and the long open time in beta, most manufacturers would have better driver support. But I think most of them waited for windows 10 to be released before even really starting because of the concern that the OS would change in some way and they'd be back to square one.

But I mostly upgraded for DX12 and because I just got a new motherboard and CPU and didn't want to deal with the OS upgrade later on. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to have waited just because of the driver issue I mentioned above.

After using Windows 10 now and also having used ever single windows version since 3 (on DOS .. 5 I think), I am going to say Windows 7 was the best Windows MS made. For most, there currently still isn't much purpose in upgrading from 7. It just worked.. and well. Plus there are still 5 more years of security patches for it. If hadn't already spent a day formatting and installing 10 I'd probably be tempted to revert back myself.. haha

running a surface pro3
my UVI plug-in works (PACE no dongle), NI works - not found anything that doesn't so far'
Win10 seems a little clunky here and there, things like hanging a bit or slower than usual. I expect most if not all of that to be fixed in the August update.

but I liked 8.1, and 8 more than 7 (and I liked 7 - and XP, and 98 and even ME). I also know quite a few people who used Vista without any problems at all.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”