How Do You Rate Kontakt's Built-In Convolution Reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It sounds pretty good to me. I've been using them on single shot drum samples & find that i can create a better cohesive sounding drum mix than using my Valhalla plugins. Does anyone know where i can find/buy great sounding impulse response packs? & will it work as it should if i just dragged & dropped it into kontakt's convolution reverb display?

I thought convolution was supposed to be uncolored.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Check out Diego Stocco for rhythmic reverb, or roll your own. Yes, you can drag samples into convo in Kontakt.
BC

It's pretty good. Same algorithm as Reflektor, AFAIK.
electro wrote:I thought convolution was supposed to be uncolored.
Convolution is all about DFFT... and there are different algorithms one can use. Also, since it's all about FFT, the sound might depend on the window type being used, because frequencies between the bins overlap differently...

So which convolution algorithm produces the most accurate to source reverb?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

EvilDragon wrote:
Convolution is all about DFFT... and there are different algorithms one can use. Also, since it's all about FFT, the sound might depend on the window type being used, because frequencies between the bins overlap differently...
Buggy implementations aside (I think I know what you might be referring to...), convolution with either any FFT or time domain techniques should produce identical, or damn near identical results. With convolution only the used impulse responses should significantly affect the sound.

Some convolution processors allow transforming (length, EQ etc) the used impulse response, and the quality of those transformations might be something to consider.

I kinda wish people wouldnt conflate convolution with reverb; its far more interesting than just that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”