Admiral Quality Poly-ana offers custom skinning (and win a free license)!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana

Oh, and hide the f**king keyboard FFS, having such limitations on what should be visible or not is f**king retarded! If Mike wants to keep playing stupid games with his users, it's his loss entirely.

toothnclaw wrote:Hey Ingo, it seems you're new to this Knobman/Skinman thing, but progressing fast nonetheless. Why don't you spend say a month learning the apps and improving your skin and post the result only when you're completely satisfied with it.

These hourly updates on some incremental 'improvements' you make are a little too much... Or do you work as a marketing man / sock puppet for the Admiral now? It looks that way.

I like your enthusiasm, though. :tu:
Not working for AQ while i am closely related to Waldorf indeed (and never hided that...).

Actually this is the first time i did post a download of that current skin (my only download available here at the moment). So far mostly screnshots. Posted a download for old versions but nobody was interested. I am also no longer using most of those old ones.

I do not earn any momney with this and do not want to perticipate in the contest so it doesn't matter if i post a download now or later.
Anyway of course people should not participate in the contest with a slightly modified version of my skin. That would not be so funny...
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

toothnclaw wrote:Oh, and hide the f**king keyboard FFS, having such limitations on what should be visible or not is f**king retarded! If Mike wants to keep playing stupid games with his users, it's his loss entirely.
With the latest Betas you will get an error message when hiding the keyboard (while at the moment the skin should work after clicking at "OK" in the message). actually Mike was a bit pissed that i published a skin without. I do not longer have any files from the skin without keyboard at the moment.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

While browsing trough some existing Knobman files i gues i found a possible replacement for the waveform selections. That one shoows a name in the middle of the knob and te position in an outer ring. You could easily add new names to th selection.
This could work for both the Oscs which have a continuous selection and the LFOs that have simple switches. This behavior seems to be done by the plugin itself as i used the same knobs for the Oscs and LFOs alraeady.

The same knob could be also usable for the mod sozrce selection.

It is also possible to display the current shape inside the knob. The is an editor for the shapes in Knobman.

Anyway i do not think that the current selection is really bad not sure if it is really good to change it.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Just a quick note to designers, if you really want to 'hide the keyboard', you could always simply make 1pxl x 1pxl transparent .png's and replace/rename the current files - poof no more keyboard ;).

I thought about diving into the xml and starting to rearrange stuff however it would take a lot of time I don't currently have. So - if nobody manages to redo the sizing properly (widescreen version/less height), I might mock it up in PSD and you guys can chop/xml it. If someone does do a proper wide version then that's when I'll go to town on a few more (and I'll try a keyboardless one - but that still leaves lot's of rearranging of elements beside the keys).
Get All My Free Plugins/Packs/Etc...
>> http://www.toneden.io/lofiradio >> :phones:

Ingonator wrote:While browsing trough some existing Knobman files i gues i found a possible replacement for the waveform selections. That one shoows a name in the middle of the knob and te position in an outer ring. You could easily add new names to th selection.
This could work for both the Oscs which have a continuous selection and the LFOs that have simple switches. This behavior seems to be done by the plugin itself as i used the same knobs for the Oscs and LFOs alraeady.

The same knob could be also usable for the mod sozrce selection.

It is also possible to display the current shape inside the knob. The is an editor for the shapes in Knobman.

Anyway i do not think that the current selection is really bad not sure if it is really good to change it.
That's what I had in mind and I've already tested the concept.
The control will then be a knobstyled controller but also have the readability of the dropbox.
Flavours of Lime - Tasty gui design for vst plugins.

I currently checked some options for the selection of the mod sources but i found this seems to be more a less a waste of time. The current drop-down menu seems to be the most simple and efficient way IMO. Having all choices displayed at once like in the mod source wheels is simply confusing IMO.

Drop-down manus are used in the majority of other synths so i do not see any problem with that.

The only possible improvement i could see is having a drop-down menu with longer names than the current ones but those would take more space.

Also with the waveform selection IMO it will be hard t get something that is REALLY better than the current one.
The Oscilator wavefom selection is continuous anyway which is difficult with a different approach than the current one. a simoke waform slection makes no sense there.
If you want a display that only displays a single waveform at once you would need one that reflects the morphing between two waveforms in the selection.

For the LFO a replacement could be more simple while the question is if this makes really sense.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:Maybe i am a bit biased as i did my own skin (see my update and links at this page) but with all due repect to the work of others that posted their results here (e.g. Teksonik and Norbz) for me my skin looks MUCH cleaner and better to read than those other skins.
Your skins are an eye sore and an embarrassment to Poly-Ana. No one wants PA to look like a cheap ass Synth Edit plugin. Sorry you just need a reality check. If you like them that's fine but don't act they are some sort of gift to the world.
Ingonator wrote: do not want to earn money with the current skin
Yea I wouldn't worry about that. No one is going to pay for ugly. Your ego is unbelievable........... :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Maybe i am a bit biased as i did my own skin (see my update and links at this page) but with all due repect to the work of others that posted their results here (e.g. Teksonik and Norbz) for me my skin looks MUCH cleaner and better to read than those other skins.
Your skins are an eye sore and an embarrassment to Poly-Ana. No one wants PA to look like a cheap ass Synth Edit plugin. Sorry you just need a reality check. If you like them that's fine but don't act they are some sort of gift to the world.
Ingonator wrote: do not want to earn money with the current skin
Yea I wouldn't worry about that. No one is going to pay for ugly. Your ego is unbelievable........... :roll:
Ok, if this represents the opinion of the others here and not just your own i will stop posting here and keep my future work on Poly-Ana skins for myself. If that happens i will also remove all screenshots and link i had posted.

I am sorry but if you do think that your skins posted so far are so much better than my last one i just posted maybe YOU have a bad taste and not me. It liek we had fights here at KVR and also over at the Synapse Audio forum since years. do not know if you really hat my skin i posted or if you just hate me as a person...
My guess is that like with Kriminal and a few others we never will be friends but who cares?
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: I am sorry but if you do think that your skins posted so far are so much better than my last one i just posted maybe YOU have a bad taste and not me.

Where did I say the edit of the default skin I did was better than anything ? At least it doesn't look like someone's decade old first Synth Edit plugin........

If you think those skins you've posted are good then you have NO taste.......(that's just my opinion of course).
Ingonator wrote: do not know if you really hat my skin i posted or if you just hate me as a person...
No, I really hate your skins. I don't hate you but your enormous ego annoys me to no end. It always has here and elsewhere. I don't imagine that will ever change......... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Anyway personal squabbles aside it's good to see at least one real skinner posting here. Hopefully as time goes along we'll start seeing processional looking skins for Poly-Ana and then those who have dissed it for years because of the GUI will be able to buy it and enjoy it like many of us have for years......... :tu:

Teksonik wrote:
Ingonator wrote: I am sorry but if you do think that your skins posted so far are so much better than my last one i just posted maybe YOU have a bad taste and not me.

Where did I say the edit of the default skin I did was better than anything ? At least it doesn't look like someone's decade old first Synth Edit plugin........

If you think those skins you've posted are good then you have NO taste.......(that's just my opinion of course).
Ingonator wrote: do not know if you really hat my skin i posted or if you just hate me as a person...
No, I really hate your skins. I don't hate you but your enormous ego annoys me to no end. It always has here and elsewhere. I don't imagine that will ever change......... :wink:
Oh, don't sweat it too much. Imagine if your job was to design UIs and Ingonator was your boss. That'll give you a hint of what my world is often like. :lol: I literally worked for a company who hired an art director to manage me who had his degree in journalism and whose idea of a good logo was placing text on a path.

I think the problem is one that's intrinsic in a lot of humans, especially ones that think of themselves as creative. Even for myself, it took a long time for me to not fall in love with my sh!t. We all love our own sh!t. One trick I've developed over years is to go away from anything I'm working on and do something totally different for at least an hour. Then go back to what you're working on. The thing that jumps out at you is most likely something that needs to be changed or removed. When I started doing graphic design there was a pretty high bar for entry. You had to buy a bunch of hard to use tools like tech pens, french curves and rubylith. Now one boots up the laptop they already own and a download of the freeware GIMP and you're off and running. See!? Anyone can do graphics just as good as the people who studied it for years and do it professionally!

Neither of your "skins" would really hold water when held up to a professionally designed commercial UI, though they are both better than the horrific mess that we started with. The hard truth is that what is needed is more than just an easier to read interface. The controls from AQ are not well laid out, and any amount of art revision is just a band-aid on a deeper wound. It's a big job. I know, "Why don't you show us how it's done instead of just being a critical jerk!?" The truth is, I've long since stopped using Poly-Ana and it's been replaced with other synths, hardware and software. It's hard to work up the motivation to start editing xml files when so many other fun more rewarding things via for my free time. It's hard enough to make time for a personal book illustration project I'm working on. Maybe I'll give it a go at some point and then you guys can all tell me I suck. :oops: :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Maybe I'll give it a go at some point and then you guys can all tell me I suck. :oops: :lol:
:hihi: :tu:

Sorry man, your skin worries me that maybe AQ is regretting his decision to allow users to create skins. I think it's cool that you are showing some alternatives, but do try to limit how many screenshots are in the thread because I don't think it's giving a great impression. Maybe just posts links of updates to an image site? No offense at all and I know you're new to it. I mainly think it's those knobs and horrible bright colors, it just looks like something from an Atari game console. Not bad ideas with your layout changes. Although it would look neater if you swapped the envelopes and mod mixer/lfo's.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sorry man, your skin worries me that maybe AQ is regretting his decision to allow users to create skins. I think it's cool that you are showing some alternatives, but do try to limit how many screenshots are in the thread because I don't think it's giving a great impression. Maybe just posts links of updates to an image site? No offense at all and I know you're new to it. I mainly think it's those knobs and horrible bright colors, it just looks like something from an Atari game console. Not bad ideas with your layout changes. Although it would look neater if you swapped the envelopes and mod mixer/lfo's.
Maybe you did not notice but i already seriously cleaned up my screenshots i posted and even complete posts that are now "redundant". I do not even have files from early one any more including that one with red knobs...

I also posted an UPDATE to my new screenshot and the download of my current skin at the previous page (page 16) without starting a new post.

You maybe did also not notice that i had updated/overwritten some older screenshots multiple times without re-posting them. Just had to overwrite the Dropbox files with hew versions with that have the same name.

The download for my current skin that i provied today (at page 16) currently is the ONLY download link i have posted. There was another for the old skins but that one is deleted (and i do not even keep most the files of those here).

Actually i do not even know if some or most of the opinions posted here about my current skins are actually about the latest versions or the early ones from some days ago or even week. A LOT of improvements have been done since last Friday including e.g. different color, rearrangement of a bunch of modules and replacing a bunch of the background image graphics with comparable ones that are added directly i n Knobman.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”