Are NI's plugins warezed a lot?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not that i would want to suggest that anyone here knows exactly. :) Just wondering, their service center just works and is non-hassling, i never read a bad word about their kind of copy protection, and generally, they seem to have a better reputation here than other companies, and never got a slap for their copy protection system. So i wonder, even thought being less hassling, and less intrusive, do they still have a strong copy protection?

It's not really a strong copy protection, there's warez of pretty much everything they did (except hardware, of course). However, they've become quite a big company so warez doesn't impact them one least bit. Keyword here - they make hardware, and there's a LOT of Maschine users out there. Can't warez that.

True that. I guess it's a lot easier to cope with warez if your business is generally fine. But i really like their system. Easy to install, easy to update, and works every time i use it. Really straight.

It's interesting that even back when they were starting out (Generator, Pro-5, etc.), they got pirated just as well. Yet they somehow managed to cope with that - not sure what the secret is. I think constantly pushing updates and new stuff. But probably things started to turn for the better when they introduced Komplete. With that amount of savings (even though originally Komplete retailed at $1499, remember!) it's kinda hard to turn your head the other way, so that was a resounding success, which enabled them to grow and do more.

Today, Komplete is a stupidly awesome deal. It almost makes you feel stupid if you don't own it, haha. :hyper:

I think NI has a good mechanism in place for dealing with this problem and is one of those companies looking to protect its own interest without punishing its paying customers for the wrong doings of others.

I think this is just one of the reasons for their success.

Too bad other companies don't adopt the same policies. I think it will be in their best interests. But they choose their own road.

To answer your post chk071 - yes, NI is pirated as much, if not more, than any other company. But they have learnt how to deal with this issue and not become fixated on piracy, instead, focusing on development and sales.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

People even pirate maschine software when they can get the controller.
dedication to flying

NI's service centre is mostly fine .... I find it messes up the Reaktor 64bit install (installs it in some default folder, means I have to go looking for it and put it where it belongs) ...and also the Replika doesn't update correctly (same thing, have to go hunting for it)

every other plugin/app update works silky smooth though and yes it's a great system (service centre), and NI make great software for great value and it's nigh on impossible to fault them IMO.

rod_zero wrote:People even pirate maschine software when they can get the controller.

strange. I know NI do their best to tie the software license with the corresponding controller. This is the case at least with a Kontrol X1 I have.

I guess there's ways around that, or exceptions. Nevertheless it's the case with the NI controller hardware I own.

Daags wrote:
rod_zero wrote:People even pirate maschine software when they can get the controller.

strange. I know NI do their best to tie the software license with the corresponding controller. This is the case at least with a Kontrol X1 I have.

I guess there's ways around that, or exceptions. Nevertheless it's the case with the NI controller hardware I own.
That's not the case with Maschine. I recently replaced my Maschine mk1 controller when I found a no-brainer deal on a barely used mk2. I kept my existing v1/v2 software installations in place and the new mk2 controller works just fine with them (I just had to make sure that the mk2 driver was installed). And, the guy that bought my old mk1 controller and unregistered v2 software that came with my mk2 controller had no problem installing/using them together - we installed it at my place before he bought it just to make sure.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Daags wrote:I find it messes up the Reaktor 64bit install (installs it in some default folder, means I have to go looking for it and put it where it belongs) ...and also the Replika doesn't update correctly (same thing, have to go hunting for it)
This can be remedied in the registry somewhere...

EDIT: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Replika\InstallVSTDir (and InstallVST64Dir). Ditto for Reaktor.

I have couple friends of mine in their late 30ths who have purchased NI Komplete they've been using warezed copies 10 years ago.

Weak copy protection of good products that are fairly priced might work as marketing for growing teens. Another example is Adobe Photoshop.

I'm not justifying piracy at all. Just observing life.
Murderous duck!

cryophonik wrote:
Daags wrote:

That's not the case with Maschine. I recently replaced my Maschine mk1 controller when I found a no-brainer deal on a barely used mk2. I kept my existing v1/v2 software installations in place and the new mk2 controller works just fine with them (I just had to make sure that the mk2 driver was installed). And, the guy that bought my old mk1 controller and unregistered v2 software that came with my mk2 controller had no problem installing/using them together - we installed it at my place before he bought it just to make sure.
ya, it's not universally true - that's for sure. I bought my X1 during a sales promo, so perhaps that's why the software is tied to the hardware... anyway.

EvilDragon wrote:
Daags wrote:I find it messes up the Reaktor 64bit install (installs it in some default folder, means I have to go looking for it and put it where it belongs) ...and also the Replika doesn't update correctly (same thing, have to go hunting for it)
This can be remedied in the registry somewhere...

EDIT: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Replika\InstallVSTDir (and InstallVST64Dir). Ditto for Reaktor.

nice one! thanks for the tip :tu:

They have hmm whole ecosystem :)

They have hardware
They have software
They have additional libraries
They have bundled software (komplete)

People are lazy. At some point they just prefer to spend money rather than looking for links, torrents, especially if the library / software weights gigabytes. Sure, kids probably still pirate everything because they dont have money, they usually have time. Adults have some money, but they have problems with spare time. At some point it's ... easier to pay than download via piracy websites

They are pirated a lot. They don't seem to suffer too greatly though. Their business model is different from many of the other competing software companies, that's why they've been able to handle piracy without a massive headache for so long.

Return to “Instruments”