Windows 10 for DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New motherboard and CPU arrived today.. installed very very smoothly ( I remember the days of arctic silver and jumper pins ugh). Unregistered all my ilok and Adobe software, Reformatted C partition, reinstalled windows 7, and currently patching to get it up to speed to install windows 10.

Windows 10 installer already loaded on my Win7 laptop (in a hidden windows~bt folder). I guess there is a timebomb attached that will kick off at midnight EST. That should be interesting.

The gaming PC (on which I'm typing now, 3rd system of cobbled together parts) is sticking with Windows 7 until the other two get 10 and it seems stable enough. Can't jeopardize my Hearthstone and WoW time.. oh no.. :lol:

i'd only do it as a fresh install (is that possible?) won't upgrade existing if i can at all help it.
may try it out on my dayjob/play computer. studio machine will stay on win8.1 pending disk image experiments later?
from what i understand, we have a year to jump on the freebie upgrade, so i'll watch and wait for now.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Can we download it and keep it for say one or 2 months till we check the compatibility issues?
I must decide for 3 PCs in the house. 2 are mine (one desktop with music making and tons of games old and new, one laptop mainly for learning piano which I'm really afraid to touch it because it's not easy to make my tutorial software compatible as its actually designed for XP).
Another laptop is Mom's one which she will be so upset if the download programs for her Turkish serials would not work (she is on win 7 while I'm on win 8.
Hmmm, I think I will pass mostly, I can't take the risks in any one of them :scared:

My understanding is that 8.1 users should have no issues with 10. I'm gonna run the update on my laptop this week and find out before letting it anyway near my studio machine.

No Quicktime 7.7.7 support in Windows 10!! Hence no video support in Cubase and Nuendo at this time. :x

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 26&t=83295

My rule of thumb for Windows is to upgrade to an OS prior to the new one, so I guess it's time to move from 7 and get 8.1.

Maincat wrote:No Quicktime 7.7.7 support in Windows 10!! Hence no video support in Cubase and Nuendo at this time. :x

Quicktime is shit anyways... They could always use VLC if they wanted to (like Reaper does, for example)...

EvilDragon wrote:
Maincat wrote:No Quicktime 7.7.7 support in Windows 10!! Hence no video support in Cubase and Nuendo at this time. :x

Quicktime is shit anyways... They could always use VLC if they wanted to (like Reaper does, for example)...
Agreed, however we are where we are with QT. Hopefully Steinberg and others will ditch it.

Yeah I updated and everything is running smoothly. Haven't had any issues.

ckam03 wrote:Yeah I updated and everything is running smoothly. Haven't had any issues.
What's the DAW and hardware you use?

No guts, no glory.....i am wiping and updating this weekend, assuming my install dvd gets here. Why am I wiping? CauseI have a non upgradable W7 ENT.Also after so many years it is time to start fresh. Ithe only driver issue might be the Saffire 24 pro but Focusrite says it will work...I guess I can update on Sunday with my progress. I have not heard of any issues with FL12 so far either.

roland um3 ex drivers not working,
zone alarm /comodo firewalls not working
audio seems stable...

most stuff seems to work

my main gripe with windows 10: it is UGLY, everything about looks tasteless and nauseatingly UGLY...
disgusting!!!

Creepr wrote:No guts, no glory.....i am wiping and updating this weekend, assuming my install dvd gets here. Why am I wiping? CauseI have a non upgradable W7 ENT.Also after so many years it is time to start fresh. Ithe only driver issue might be the Saffire 24 pro but Focusrite says it will work...I guess I can update on Sunday with my progress. I have not heard of any issues with FL12 so far either.
If you have software ilok licensed apps, please make sure to releasethem back to your account before wipig.

Karma_tba wrote:
Rajah wrote:Well, this article/video show Windows 10 dedication to audio...

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/07/ ... -big-deal/
Their dedication to audio is not my concern..........convenience is. Win 7 is a proven known option...Win 10 is an unknown. I have an investment in my DAW and I'm not gambling with my kit.

Yes, I will be holding off my upgrade for a few also.... But It's nice to see Microsoft's focus on Audio..

http://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/

Theres pcaudiolabs first tests. Looks like MS's claims of bettering wdm latency are true, latency has come down

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”