Monark is seriously impressive.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark

zero crossing wrote: I recently got Monark free as part of Maschine (thanks NI!).
I did too, and now I have two copies. Somebody buy this thing! http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=436788

The thing about Monark... I realized as I put it side-by-side with Diva. I couldn't tell you which is more accurate because I haven't heard a Moog in the flesh in ages, but damn, Monark wins hands-down on character.

electro wrote:
zerocrossing wrote: I'm seeing this trend a bit lately in software and it's bothersome to me. I've yet to pull the trigger on the excellent sounding Oddity 2, or Roland's SH-2 for similar reasons. Yeah, I get that you're trying for a more pure emulation... except for the fact that they're not.
Monark, TAL Bassline, XILS 4, and Oddity 2 together cover every piece of ground you could possibly want in a monosynth (leads, basses, FX).

When you're ITB there's no need for every synth to do everything every other synth does.
No, but think of it this way. There are many different new cars to buy, right? You can buy a Tesla S or you could buy a Nissan Sentra. Tons of different features and differences in character, but they all come with a basic set of features that we've agreed are important. When Ford puts out a new Mustang that looks more like the classic models, they still include power windows. I'm just saying that velosity and aftertouch are like power windows. We all have decided that they're good and I don't think you could buy a car that doesn't have them in 2015. Yup, the original Mustang didn't have them, and you can still buy that old Mustang if you want, but for those of us who want a new car, you had better include power windows.

That's all I'm saying. I'm happy NI took the time to model the D's sound so accurately. I don't even care if it's polyphonic, but I think it's a shame to release any synth, even an emulation, in 2015 that doesn't have a complete MIDI implementation. Like I said, take a look at Diva for how that should work. "I hate that Diva let's me assign aftertouch and velosity to filter cuttoff!" said no one ever.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:but for those of us who want a new car, you had better include power windows.
Indeed, a most under-appreciated gem in the Rush catalog, and one could do far worse than to throw in a copy with which to break in the stereo on new vehicles. :P
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

For the mid-80's I rate Hold Your Fire higher, as that has got Time Stand Still

Power Windows doesn't really have memorable tunes, and I have listened a lot to Rush in my time.

Off topic, but bleeding a little into late '80s, I would have to vote for Presto, as Show Don't Tell stands with some of their best, IMHO :).

I'm a big fan of Rupert Hine's solo albums, so glad he got to produce them then.

I think they sum up their 80's well with A Show of Hands, a decent effort :tu:

Vectorman wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:but for those of us who want a new car, you had better include power windows.
Indeed, a most under-appreciated gem in the Rush catalog, and one could do far worse than to throw in a copy with which to break in the stereo on new vehicles. :P
@Vectorman - you're a dork after my own heart - I had the exact same thought reading the above post! Just missed a chance to see Rush on farewell tour two nights ago - doh!

zerocrossing wrote:That's all I'm saying. I'm happy NI took the time to model the D's sound so accurately. I don't even care if it's polyphonic, but I think it's a shame to release any synth, even an emulation, in 2015 that doesn't have a complete MIDI implementation. Like I said, take a look at Diva for how that should work. "I hate that Diva let's me assign aftertouch and velosity to filter cuttoff!" said no one ever.
Of course, so long as adding things does not compromise the emulation of a particular synth. Even Oddity 1 had a velocity parameter the Odyssey didn't have and version 2 has full polyphony, TAL Bassline has full Polyphony and Monark can be modded to whatever you want so long as you have the full version of Reaktor. The XILS 4 can do just about everything conceivable, but I would still use it the way I would want to use a monophonic VCS3.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Hey guys, I'm going to attempt another post in this thread because my first one was ignored, and I'm emotionally devastated. :lol: :D :lol: :wink:

You're talking virtual analogue monosynths, and I mentioned Viking. I do have Reaktor but haven't got Monark yet...not to say I don't want it! But wouldn't it be cooler to get the Komplete bundle rather than buy individual products? Yeah, yeah I think it would be. So that's what I wanna do.

I just wanted to reiterate that Viking really is quite a lush, full sounding virtual machine, that's for sure. It has presence, it is thick, a smooth high quality sound. Solid punchy waves, liquid filter squelching into resonance. Some care was taken in it's design, I feel. And modulation options are not an issue...But it is monophonic. Combinator time!

Now, of course, it is Reason only, perhaps that turns some folks off, but I prefer a hybrid workflow, several DAW's, and when something is the dope, well I pay attention. Thanks for reading...not trying to derail the thread, just a synthesis lover!

The least painful path would probably be wait to crossgrade Reaktor to Komplete 11

Winstontaneous wrote:
Vectorman wrote:
@Vectorman - you're a dork after my own heart - I had the exact same thought reading the above post! Just missed a chance to see Rush on farewell tour two nights ago - doh!
LOL, didn't mean to start a tangent when I sneaked that zinger in. Fwiw, I didn't see them on this tour either (I haven't seen them live since 2002). I just got to where I felt going to concerts was such a PITA that I'd rather watch Youtube boots and wait for the DVD's. I thought maybe Ged would trade up to a Moog Sub37 for this tour, but nope, still Little Phatties. It would've been interesting if his fascination with retro basses had extended to keyboards and he'd wheeled back out something besides the usual Roland Fantom, like an OB-Xa or Jupiter 8. It's not like his keyboard tech hasn't dealt with them before. :wink:
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Kind of sad that Rush hasn't teamed up with Waves or some other dev, to share their mixing secrets via custom plugs

Numanoid wrote:Kind of sad that Rush hasn't teamed up with Waves or some other dev, to share their mixing secrets via custom plugs
Permanent Waves
Hemi-Omnisphere(s)
Test for EchoBoy
A Caress of Stillwell
Digital Signals Processing
Tom Lord-Alge Sawyer Signature Waves Edition
By-Toraverb
AAS Different Strings Studio
Jacob's Ladder Filter
Photosounder Moving Pictures Edition
Thinking Man's Heavy MetaSynth
NI Razor's Edge
:dog:

Back OT, have been using Monark on a project and it compares very well to a friend's Moog Voyager I played the other day. I especially like the options on the B page.

I dont understand your enthusiasm for the Monark sound which to me sounds like a cheap Casio you'd find under the Xmas tree in the 80s.

Kinh wrote:I dont understand your enthusiasm for the Monark sound which to me sounds like a cheap Casio you'd find under the Xmas tree in the 80s.
You could not be more wrong. NI even posted a detailed A/B with a Model D.
https://soundcloud.com/nativeinstrument ... comparison

Return to “Instruments”