What are your favorite non-Valhalla reverbs, and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

You summed it up pretty well.
Just my thoughts.

I just wished they used the reverb a bit more sparingly at least on few of the songs.
Clearly not all needed that special "80s treatment".

Winstontaneous wrote: Sean, curious, have you heard Beck's "Morning Phase" album...any idea about the reverb(s) used? There are some truly amazing atmospheres on there, it's almost like the 'verb is another band member.
I asked Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck's bassist) about the reverb over at TalkBass.com and he half-jokingly said it was a "trade secret."
I'm not sure what reverbs were used on that Beck album. Since the album was recorded in the Capitol recording studios, I would think that they made use of those amazing stereo reverb chambers that are under the parking lot.

Justin Medal-Johnson talks a bit about reverb usage in this Pensado's Place video (starting at 47:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H09YEN8uDeM#t=2842

Very interesting thread !

I have one favorite reverb experience in mind. I love the sound you can hear when you are in some large underground parking garages, in not crowded commercial marketplaces, with not too much cars. I can often hear very pure sounds, distant and not well defined echoes, any source sound being able to produce some kind of music or ambiance. I love these places for this atmosphere, a bit Shimmer-like.

I recently purchased MMultiBandConvolution on sale last week. It's my first convolution reverb and was interested in the idea after watching Reason 8.3 update video to R7000. I was intrigued both from emulating spaces as well as sound design opportunities.

After spending a bit of time with the Melda plugin layout I quickly fell in love with in downloading IRs from the web and trying them on my favorite drum loops, piano and synth plugins. I really enjoy setting wet/dry very high and using small impulses on a sound: it can make a piano sound like toy or act as a sort-of bandpass filter on all sorts of synth sounds. Sometimes it just colors the sound in a subtle and pleasing way. Conversely I also enjoy just grabbing a huge cathedral sound and adding a small amount to something I know already like a pipe organ sound.

I'll always have a place for algorithmic reverbs in my plugin folder but I think I'm starting to really see the appeal of convos too. :) Now I'm a bit hooked on IRs and want to buy a portable recorder (thinking about the Tascam DR-100MkII) to create IRs wherever I find interesting ones.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Being a relatively new, inexperienced producer, I think I'd have to say that B2 is my favorite reverb. I fell in love with it just from listening to the audio demos on the 2c audio site. It was all downhill from there...

The UAD EMT 140. It just sounds so damn good.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Wolfen666 wrote:Very interesting thread !

I have one favorite reverb experience in mind. I love the sound you can hear when you are in some large underground parking garages, in not crowded commercial marketplaces, with not too much cars. I can often hear very pure sounds, distant and not well defined echoes, any source sound being able to produce some kind of music or ambiance. I love these places for this atmosphere, a bit Shimmer-like.
I was in the parking garage of Swedish Hospital here in Seattle recently. INCREDIBLE reverb sound. No defined echoes, just a wash of reverb.

Certain concrete structures are able to produce beautiful reverb sounds. I've been in stairwells that sound great, and some amazing parking garages. Others are kinda meh. The best ones are like giant reverb chambers: fast onset of reverb, almost instant build of echo density, smooth exponential decay.

Sean Costello

The westlake studio impulses in Altiverb. They are really nice to make something slightly thicker without using a full reverb.

Anybody tried RevX that comes with a UR44?

valhallasound wrote:
Wolfen666 wrote:Very interesting thread !

I was in the parking garage of Swedish Hospital here in Seattle recently. INCREDIBLE reverb sound. No defined echoes, just a wash of reverb.

Certain concrete structures are able to produce beautiful reverb sounds. I've been in stairwells that sound great, and some amazing parking garages. Others are kinda meh. The best ones are like giant reverb chambers: fast onset of reverb, almost instant build of echo density, smooth exponential decay.

Sean Costello
In high school I played in a New York City Tuba Christmas.

Rehearsals were in the sub-basement parking garages beneath the NBC building/Rockefeller Center.
100s of low brass (tuba, euphonium, sousaphone, trombones) really activated the space...a phenomenal experience of natural resonance and reverberation!

valhallasound wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote: Sean, curious, have you heard Beck's "Morning Phase" album...any idea about the reverb(s) used? There are some truly amazing atmospheres on there, it's almost like the 'verb is another band member.
I asked Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck's bassist) about the reverb over at TalkBass.com and he half-jokingly said it was a "trade secret."
I'm not sure what reverbs were used on that Beck album. Since the album was recorded in the Capitol recording studios, I would think that they made use of those amazing stereo reverb chambers that are under the parking lot.

Justin Medal-Johnson talks a bit about reverb usage in this Pensado's Place video (starting at 47:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H09YEN8uDeM#t=2842
I found an interview with Tom Elmhirst, who says that the Digidesign D-Verb Mk I was the main artificial reverb on Morning Phase.

Very interesting and influencing topic to read.
Thanks
Murderous duck!

valhallasound wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJou_YPgbgI

EMT140. So. Good.
Make. One. Please.

valhallasound wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJou_YPgbgI

EMT140. So. Good.
Fabulous :party:

Return to “Effects”