ilok licenses on a dead hard drive?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a couple of freebies protected by the ilok license manager (not a physical ilok) on my old laptop. The HD died on that system so I was wondering about installing them on my new one. I can install the license manager and it shows the licenses attached to my old laptop but there's no way to deactivate them except from my old laptop (which is dead :)) The ilok support doesn't really mention this scenario though reading between the lines it could be I have to have them transfer them, maybe at a price?

Anyone know how things work in this situation?

cherrs.

U R screwed
No signature here!

Well yes but what about the ilok situation?

:hihi:

I feared this may be the outcome so if it is... only freebies but can see how people get worked up over payed licenses if this is the case.

GaryG wrote:Well yes but what about the ilok situation?

:hihi:

I feared this may be the outcome so if it is... only freebies but can see how people get worked up over payed licenses if this is the case.
Having iLOK software authorizations on your HD is not very smart (to put things nicely). The biggest advantage of iLOK is exactly the fact it is HD (system) independente. If you had your licenses in a key, you'd be up and running as soon as you reinstalled the system.

That said, you can always go though the process of asking new licenses from the vendors, and having them deposited in your iLOK account.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I picked up a iLok key recently for this very reason. It has less points of failure than a computer. Plus it let me use the Little MicroShift freebie I got ages ago from SoundToys.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything Pace can do with licences tied to dead hardware although you could try contacting the developers of the plugins, explain the situation and see if they can somehow reset your activations. There's a post at the end of my thread here that suggests it might be possible (if I'm reading it right).

GaryG wrote:I had a couple of freebies protected by the ilok license manager (not a physical ilok) on my old laptop. The HD died on that system so I was wondering about installing them on my new one. I can install the license manager and it shows the licenses attached to my old laptop but there's no way to deactivate them except from my old laptop (which is dead :)) The ilok support doesn't really mention this scenario though reading between the lines it could be I have to have them transfer them, maybe at a price?

Anyone know how things work in this situation?

cherrs.
Are you absolutely sure the hard drive is dead, ie have you tried it in another system, have you run diagnostics etc.

(Once or twice running Seagate's disk tools on allegedly failed hard drives that a PC wouldnt talk to/see has allowed me to revive them and recover data, y'see).
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

fmr wrote:Having iLOK software authorizations on your HD is not very smart (to put things nicely).
Seems that way. As I said, a couple of freebies, I just followed the instructions, never used ilok before so had no idea you could lose the licenses like this. Probably wouldn't have bought an ilok just for these... :shrug:
whyterabbyt wrote:Are you absolutely sure the hard drive is dead, ie have you tried it in another system, have you run diagnostics etc.
Oh absolutely, sounded like a maraca as I tossed it in the bin. :)

But yes, I did try it in another laptop, an external case, run seagates tools, put it in the fridge overnight etc etc but failed to respond everytime.

So, any want to recommended a decent Mellotron freebie? ;)

Was this an UVI mellotron ?

If yes, send me your ilok id in PM.
I could verify that you had one and send you a new one for replacement.
(unless you already contacted our support)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Looks like Olivier has come to the rescue, but for freebie Mellotrons I came across this set of sample packs for Ableton Live earlier. Haven't tried them yet but if you use Live they might be worth a look.

sprnva wrote:Looks like Olivier has come to the rescue, but for freebie Mellotrons I came across this set of sample packs for Ableton Live earlier. Haven't tried them yet but if you use Live they might be worth a look.
Yep, Olivier has sorted me out with a new license so all is well again. So, yay for UVI, support so efficient they come to you! :)

Those Live packs sound nice too, certainly worth keeping in reserve.

@thecontrolcentre: thanks for the suggestions, didn't realise the Tweakbench site was still up. I think they have been the first vsts I bought when I donated for the bundle, great array of stuff.

sprnva wrote:I picked up a iLok key recently for this very reason. It has less points of failure than a computer. Plus it let me use the Little MicroShift freebie I got ages ago from SoundToys.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything Pace can do with licences tied to dead hardware although you could try contacting the developers of the plugins, explain the situation and see if they can somehow reset your activations. There's a post at the end of my thread here that suggests it might be possible (if I'm reading it right).
And my I-lok key crashed after 2 month of use where it just was attached to my usb-port. I-loks keys are no safe investement. However I have only had 1 hard drive failure ever and that was from a Seagate internal drive purchased in 1999. And I think I have had 15 hard drives or more in that time. Never bought anything from them again (had a malfunction in the firmware).

Hans25 wrote:And my I-lok key crashed after 2 month of use where it just was attached to my usb-port. I-loks keys are no safe investement. However I have only had 1 hard drive failure ever and that was from a Seagate internal drive purchased in 1999. And I think I have had 15 hard drives or more in that time. Never bought anything from them again (had a malfunction in the firmware).
Then you're very much a statistical anomaly. Hard drives die, and the older they are, the more heavily used they are, the more frequently moved they are (cf laptop drives), the more likely that becomes. Ive got more than 15 hard drives connected right now. At least two, pulls from a retired old RAID array, have died in the last year; one just last week(*). Since 1999, professionally, Ive easily seen upwards of 100 failed hard drives in systems at work, from laptops to fancy £100K storage servers. Hard drives die.

(*) Since I know hard drives die, I only ever used pulled drives for non-critical files that can be restored from another source, or in a mirrored array so nothing was lost.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Then you're very much a statistical anomaly. Hard drives die, and the older they are, the more heavily used they are, the more frequently moved they are (cf laptop drives), the more likely that becomes. Ive got more than 15 hard drives connected right now. At least two, pulls from a retired old RAID array, have died in the last year; one just last week(*). Since 1999, professionally, Ive easily seen upwards of 100 failed hard drives in systems at work, from laptops to fancy £100K storage servers. Hard drives die.

(*) Since I know hard drives die, I only ever used pulled drives for non-critical files that can be restored from another source, or in a mirrored array so nothing was lost.
Of course hard drives die. I've never postulated that they didn't. And if you work with hard drives as a professional then you obviously statistically will have a lot of failures because of the numbers. What I do these days is to replace old hard drives with new ones as time goes on. Hard drives today are much more reliable than they were both solid state and regular hard drives.

My point is that if you think you are safe with the i-lok key then you are wrong. And where you can make a backup of a hard drive on another hard drive and thereby have your data safe you cannot do that with the I-lok. And that's a rather big disadvantage.

Scary times for the legit customer. Gotta love this sort of "protection".

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”