Advice on ergonomics when using devices like Push / NI Maschine/ elektron ..etc..

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

I recently acquired Ableton Push in their sale last month, and so far it's been a mostly positive experience. While my eyes are appreciating this, my neck / back isn't so happy! For screen viewing and computer use there's ton's of ergonomic info how to sit, position of arms to keyboard, screen position ..etc.. But when using Push when sitting down at the desk I find myself leaning over the device with my back arched and neck hung low, which doesn't feel great after a while and can't be too good for you.

Does anyone out there have some good advice for better ergonomics?

Thanks

Put it on something that holds it steady, but tilts it up a bit so you can see it without hunching over? Or put it where your computer keyboard would be?

I have my Maschine on a DJ laptop stand -- or at least, part of one -- which was much cheaper than the official Maschine stand. It sits on my desk at about a 45 degree angle so I can see everything. Unfortunately I've put my lap steel guitar in front of it so it's slightly awkward again, but my limited studio space is full of compromises.

I placed my Push of this http://www.ikea.com/pl/pl/catalog/produ ... #/60150176

Very comfortable angle and no space wasted.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks, both of you. Simple solution, will give it a go this evening.

It also got me thinking to try a standing solution. As push frees me from the computer screen / keyboard / mouse, in certain cases, there's no need to be seated while using it as these times.

I bought one of those three-jointed laptop stands for my moogerfooger collection yesterday and the results are pretty nice:

This one wasn't cheap at 70 bucks but it seems sturdy enough.

@dumbledog is that a picture of your actual setup? If so, looking good!

Good idea on the micro brute with standing that upright, I have the slightly bigger MiniBrute but will try something similar

I have my Maschine mk1 mounted to a snare stand. Works great!

Peace \/
chisel316

www.youtube.com/chisel316

There's a lot to be said for standing when using desktop modules imo

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”