iLok madness killing my workflow and ears! Why can't we authorize with just a computer?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it only one company that makes the iLok usb stick? Can't some company make the iLok usb key a small usb stick instead of the typical large stick? That's my main beef with it. If it's true that the usb stick is that much more secure, I can respect that from a developers view, but I think the developers should also consider us a little more and push for a small usb iLok stick. That way everyone, including the many using laptops, don't even have to remove the usb stick.

I've heard from developers that the USB iLok is much more secure than using your hard drive. But after hearing developers say that, I find it interesting that companies like Soundtoys and Softube are moving away from the usb iLok.

I would much prefer to be able to lock/attach your license to a hard drive than a stupid usb stick.

deft_bonz wrote:BTW: You can use a hub, instead of plug the iLok/eLicenser directly into the computer.

And second BTW: A lot of iLok (and I think eLicenser) offer you now to place the keys/licenses/whatever on your computer ;)

Third, last but not least BTW: I feel sorry for you, that you cannot solve this problem... ok, that was a little offensive :D

But don't I have to plug the USB hub into my computer in the USB port? Or are you talking about a bluetooth usb hub or something?

A lot iLok stuff I own only allow you to place the license on a usb stick. Lexicon, Audio Ease, Vengeance Sound, Exponetial Audio, Groove Agent 4, etc.

dsan@mail.com wrote:You lose the iLok, bye bye.... buy a new one ;)

But, your licenses are still protected. You just have to go through hoops to deactivate the previous iLok and transfer the licenses to the new iLok.

Cheers!
dsan
No it isn't. Your licenses are bloody lost forever unless you have ZDT AND TLC enabled ($30 yearly tax). You are completely at mercy of the developer if you lost the dongle without ZDT. Avid for example will replace it for $85 I believe, others may or may not replace your license at all.

The death trap of this is the new license on the computer hard drive thing is you cannot buy ZDT/TLC coverage for it. The saving grace is you usually have more than 1 activation for those licenses, but if your drive crashes, that activation is still gone forever. No recovery.

I just lost my ilok last week. Even with the ZDT/TLC tax, it is still a $50 fee to replace my licenses (with a free ilok replacement plus shipping). Doesn't make me any happier, but I travel so I don't consider it a choice unfortunately.

No one is willingly getting on board with this dongle thing, but if you want those software then you live with it. Be happy if you don't have to. It maybe good for developers, but as user it is freakin misery to have all these developers decide case by case whether they provide different amount of activations and/or allow harddrive activations.

no, you don't have to have ZDT to recover your licenses. you break your iLok, you buy a new one, and send the old one to PACE so that they can recover the licenses from it. the ZDT part means if your iLok breaks, you can activate temporary licenses right away, instead of waiting for PACE to recover your licenses and send you a new iLok. you still have to send your iLok to PACE even if you're on ZDT, it's just with ZDT you're not left with unusable software if you have a spare iLok.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:no, you don't have to have ZDT to recover your licenses. you break your iLok, you buy a new one, and send the old one to PACE so that they can recover the licenses from it. the ZDT part means if your iLok breaks, you can activate temporary licenses right away, instead of waiting for PACE to recover your licenses and send you a new iLok. you still have to send your iLok to PACE even if you're on ZDT, it's just with ZDT you're not left with unusable software if you have a spare iLok.
I'm referring to lost ilok, not a broken one (got nothing to send in). ZDT/TLC is the only thing that will recover those licenses.

ah, well, yes, that's different. apologies for misunderstanding.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I don't think all companies support ZDT(east west)

bill45 wrote:I don't think all companies support ZDT(east west)
Is this really depending on the developer? How do you know that?

It doesn't say anything like that here: https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Instruments”