Cubase or Logic ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13 Logic Pro

djeos546 wrote:Hi everyone !
I've been trying to test cubase for a little while now (I said trying to because of the heat...), and I've got a little question for those who use it.
Is there a way to organize VSTs the way you want ? I mean I'd like my favorite plugins in one folder, so that I can use them very quickly, and other plugins sorted by manufacturer. I'd like to do this with Cubase plugins, VST2 and VST3 plugins...
Audio Unit is actually a lot easier to use : all the plugins are stored in the same folder, and they are sorted by manufacturer in the DAW. Moreover you can create extra folders (favorites), etc without moving any file on the HDD.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58976

perhaps joining the forums will be a good bet :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
I've been trying to test cubase for a little while now (I said trying to because of the heat...), and I've got a little question for those who use it.
Is there a way to organize VSTs the way you want ? I mean I'd like my favorite plugins in one folder, so that I can use them very quickly, and other plugins sorted by manufacturer. I'd like to do this with Cubase plugins, VST2 and VST3 plugins...
Audio Unit is actually a lot easier to use : all the plugins are stored in the same folder, and they are sorted by manufacturer in the DAW. Moreover you can create extra folders (favorites), etc without moving any file on the HDD.

I'd already looked on the cubase forums before asking here. Didn't find anything for VST3 and Cubase plugins.

Yes you can do that in Cubase 8

Devices/Plugin Manager

djeos546 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

I'd already looked on the cubase forums before asking here. Didn't find anything for VST3 and Cubase plugins.
and yet even as a non-cubase user i gleaned enough info from that thread to know exactly what to ask next

my point is that you are going to have a higher concentration of available users over there.

Cubase's artifical limitation on sends and Fx is really odd and I expect them to get away from it in the near future.

It makes no real sense (with modern daws anyway) to be restricted to 12 sends (8 aux and 4 studio sends, unless that's changed) and 8 inserts, two of which are post-fader. It's a purely artificial design limitation that needs to go away and it's quite contrary to some of the other great stuff in Cubase.

LawrenceF wrote:Cubase's artifical limitation on sends and Fx is really odd and I expect them to get away from it in the near future.

It makes no real sense (with modern daws anyway) to be restricted to 12 sends (8 aux and 4 studio sends, unless that's changed) and 8 inserts, two of which are post-fader. It's a purely artificial design limitation that needs to go away and it's quite contrary to some of the other great stuff in Cubase.
I agree, this is nonsense ! But it is way more stable than Logic, and that's why I am gonna switch. I'll use less effects, or more FX channels...

The question on which is better of the different DAWs appears from time to time in forums. Many times a post is generated due to the OP's frustration.

Following the different forums over time there seem to be no difference in stability between Cubase and Logic. That is also my personal experience. In my machine (a MAC Pro 2010) they are both very stable. However there are a lot of different factors that comes into play OTHER than the DAW itself. What kind of OS version, prosessor, disc management, 3 .party pluggs, use of FX and so on. This gives litterarly thousands of different configurations out there of which many will give problems and many won't. It is impossibe to predict how it will behave on your computer.

Score between Logic and Cubase in this respect is 1:1.

32 bit is much better managed on the MAC. Period. Especially if you use "32 bit lives". 32 bit pluggs in 64 bit projects in Cubase is a BIG hazzle. Score Logic 1, Cubase 0.

The FX. What is "best" here is matter of taste, and which FX we are talking about. I would say Logic has the most modern interface, however for sound I find them quite even. However there are 3 party pluggs with better sound, but they will cost you more than the DAW itself. Score 0:0. 3. party score 100.

The Instruments. Same as above. In the Logic 9 days I would say that Cubase had an edge over Logic and that it constantly seem to move in the favour of Cubase. The new release of Logic with Alchemy kinda closes the gap a little bit. Still I would give Cubase the "victory". But here also the 3. party pluggs are far "better". Plugs from Native Instruments, Toontrack and Spectrasonics are my "go to" instruments. But your genre will determine how much difference you really will experience. Score Cubase 1, Logic 0. 3. party score 100.

Cubase has the VST standard, Logic AU (Components). There are by far more VST pluggs and instruments out there, however the difference is mostly on PC and not MAC as there are far more VST for PC than for MAC, especially on the "free" side.

So it's kind of even between Logic and Cubase in most respect. Personally I prefer Cubase due to how automation, and piano roll management, especially velocity, is set up.

In addition to ProTools, Cubase and Logic are the major DAWs. I would not look at another DAW. I have 5-6 alternatives installed on my machine and for sometime I was rewiring Reaper into Cubase as it could handle older 32 bit pluggs better than Cubase. I have however left that solution and link an older PC to my mac and run the older VST pluggs on the PC in an older version of Cubase. Apple and Steinberg are huge companies with large resources. Guess you will be seeing them around when others need to close the doors.
Mac Pro 3,2Ghz - 10TB - 20GB, Cubase 10 + 8 + 7 + 5 + 4, Logic X, Yamaha 01v96, Hammerfall RAYDAT.

Cubase 4.5, taught me to see Cubase as much LESS stable (actually crash-prone) on Mac (no such problem on Windows). That, along with hating the GUI layout (not the visual look) of Cubase, predisposed me to choose Logic when I decided to abandon Windows. Steinberg lost me way back.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

djeos546 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:Studio One could fit you more than Cubase going from Logic :tu: or not, I always felt S1 kinda looks like Logic in some way and kinda is Cubase deep down...
What makes S1 like Logic ?
As I said I tend to believe that an old DAW will have more functions, but I might try on of the recent ones...

studio one is not a replacement for logic for those with 300 tracks a project, who rely on an efficient DAW.

Studio one 2 (never tried 3) gets about 25% of the plugin count of logic before freezing/bouncing is required.

djeos546 wrote: Of course cubase isn't optimised for macs as well as logic. But when Logic crashes, it doesn't even use half of my CPU...
well it's obviously some bad AU's - Have had 500 tracks in Logic without a single crash and all 8 cores loaded to the max (not less than half like you).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”