ReValver 4 - New products released at the Amp Store

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know what? You're absolutely right, and I'm an idiot. You can split a mono input into stereo all day long, but it will not take a stereo input. Turns out that that mono button on the input is just for if you're feeding it a stereo signal, and one of the channels is silent. That's kind of lame. Again, it doesn't affect my workflow, but I can see how you would be annoyed.

Here's a tiny bit of good news, though. You said that copying an instance to new channels doesn't retain the settings, and is empty. That must be a limitation of the demo, because I just did it several times in Reaper and everything copied over.

Sorry for inadvertently stirring the pot, as it were.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

ok, just my 2 cents. I've had enough time to demo the subject. Not gonna bash that much but still...here we go.
Tonewise it's all subjective of course and if it sounds good for you then have at it but my experince with R4 was not so sucessful but it doesn't necessarily mean you can't get good tones out of it or it's not capable of such things, just my personal opinion comes the opposite. I might be doing something wrong to it but I used to go the same route with ampsims for years now. I like fancy looks of Revalver but any ampsim is first and foremost about sound. In version 4 we have a more limited workflow compared to 3/3.5. Now there's no separate pre/poweramps to intermingle, I haven't been able to find the tonestack section under the hood of internals to swap, less options for tubes (I'm really confused with all the stuff here this time unlike with RIII/3.5), no drag'n'drop support,man, it's 2015, isn't it?? there's some compression/limiting thing going on at the end of the signal chain. It happens all the time, doesn't matter if you're in the safe green zone or clipping the levels, and for me it just kills the dynamics if any. Try it for yourselves, bypass everything or just don't insert a single item in the chain, it's pretty much noticeable. In terms of sound R4 is not THAT much superior to 3.5 imho. (I still remember someone from the R4 beta-testing team recommending Kemper/Axe to beware of then approaching R4 release date - a bit ridiculous for me now). It's said the new engine is built on SPICE and such, but to me it sounds like an EQed 3.5, nothing very special, unfortunately, as at times I raved about III/3.5. Overtime those started to feel outdated to me as I had something to compare them to. There's something lacking. I know, it's just a sim, but today such things sound pretty convincing, take free stuff for example, Emissary by Ignite Amps, it simply slays R4, yeah, it's not an all-in-one suite, but one actually needs little to achieve desired tone finally (as with Igniters there are some pedals, preamps, a poweramp, all-tube amp/bass amp sims, a console EQ vst, a zero latency IR loader, a pack of free IRs (Sperimental) and it's no ad though it may seem as such, I don't work for any company software/hardware related), check LePou's stuff which is now 5-6 years old and doesn't start to sound obsolete at all, many other developers as well with many more appearing in this realm to push the boundaries forward, far and beyond. If it were not for the freeware developers, we would still have commercials a couple version numbers back. I like the RIR2 cabs in R4, the VST loader (which keeps crashing often enough tbh), really, but it doesn't justify the whole thing to me. Amp Builder, you say? R4 was officialy announced at winter NAMM 2014 to be released within a few months and it actually took them 7 months after that (and 6 years after the RIII release) to get it out into the wild. The support team was not silent, but not vivid at all and nothing specific as for the development was shared in public. Just TOO little info. Remember RIII support? I think you all do, I won't go into that once more. It's been almost a year now and they've had some 5-6 updates for the amp store, mostly just some items once in 2-3 months. Don't forget that R4 had no new amps added to it upon the release and only 1(!) guitar amp was later added (Powerball 2). Seems like they are more into ACT stuff these days, eh? Then again the ACT Amp Profiler was announced at winter NAMM 2015 so when are we supposed to expect it released? Amplitube has lately run into the same issues but they are hard at work (?) ironing out the way for version 4 release afaik. Well, there's now more things to play with for bassists in R4, good, I don't mind.
Peavey has its officially certified amp models in R4, but I honestly believe Nick Crow, TSE and Kazrog have all done better job emulating those amps.
And the iLok kind of thing is friggin' annoying to say the least. Is it so difficlut to have a separate FREE version of R4 not tied to any account and/or device? No, I mean, really. This is plain awful to have all those locked models show up in the menu etc. Make a fully functional demo also available but leave the FREE version separate and FREE of all that register BS.
All in all, decide for yourselves, guys, but to me it is currently a no-go deal. The producer pack price seems fine, but it's not about the price. I really hoped for R4 but...as I said, just my 2 cents. Never meant to make anyone feel offended with this post and my apologies for it being so long.
P.S.: I think if Peavey ever release that Amp Builder it's not gonna happen in the nearest 2-3 years.

just goes to show how all these things are subjective. while i mentioned multiple times that i think all models in Revalver sound kinda samey when approaching high-gain territory, i love Revalver's Budda amps, and oddly enough i use the free Peavey heads for most everything else. i do also like the Vox and Marshall models (not the JCM900, the other one).

regarding Emissary, i never managed to coax a sound out of it that i find pleasing. the tonestack is really weird on that one.

that said, overall R4 sure comes as a disappointment to what it could have been (amp builder, more gear appearing more often, more flexibility, less bugs), but it sure as hell justifies the price i paid for it for me (i didn't buy the producer pack - i went for single gear items and extensively demoed them before buying). i ended up spending just over $40, as i think that free gear is versatile enough to not warrant purchasing other stuff from the shop. you don't have to buy the producer pack, you know - the a-la carte is there for a reason. you like one amp out of twenty - fine, buy that one, and don't touch the others! you don't have to own all of it.

one thing i really wish Revalver 4 had is ability to hide gear i don't own. been asking for this since day one, and i sure am not alone in this, but Peavey has ignored this request so far.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

R4 is my current favorite. It might be "easier" to get a subjectively good tone out of some other modelers, but as someone who has owned and used tube amps for a long time, I think R4 is the most realistic in the box right now. It can sound great, and it can sound crappy, just like a real amp. YMMV.

Also, I did get the Producer Pack, but I had a Revalver HP license that I got free with something and never even installed, so the upgrade was cheap.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

bill45 wrote:Thanks, I asume we can demo these?
The demo will be allowed when we release the new installer.
José Luiz Paiz Junior
Peavey ReValver Support
http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/

RafaelMorgan wrote:How about the "amp builder" addon, Jacare?

Do you have any idea about when it will be available?

Revalver's tweaking capabilities are already awesome, but if we could indeed build our own amps and pedals from scratch within its environment, oh man, it would be a dream-come-true to all pedal and amp builders out there.

Cheers,

Raf.
All our efforts now are on finishing the reACT modules and releasing them. We have been testing them... extensively. I have no news on the Amp Builder :).
José Luiz Paiz Junior
Peavey ReValver Support

Jacare wrote:
RafaelMorgan wrote:How about the "amp builder" addon, Jacare?

Do you have any idea about when it will be available?

Revalver's tweaking capabilities are already awesome, but if we could indeed build our own amps and pedals from scratch within its environment, oh man, it would be a dream-come-true to all pedal and amp builders out there.

Cheers,

Raf.
All our efforts now are on finishing the reACT modules and releasing them. We have been testing them... extensively. I have no news on the Amp Builder :).
Cool. Thanks for the reply, Jacaré.

Anyway, do you mind if I give you a piece of advice?

If you're not going to release the amp building module, at least release a pedal building one.

There's a HUGE pedal building community out there, and I'm sure such kind of feature would draw A LOT of new customers.

Cheers,

Rafa.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll pass it on to the boss ;)
José Luiz Paiz Junior
Peavey ReValver Support

bill45 wrote:Is there a new update? Do we have to install it to run the new gear?
We have made an update available and now you can demo the latest releases :).
José Luiz Paiz Junior
Peavey ReValver Support

Return to “Effects”