UVI Complete toy museum or alternatives?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Acoustic Toy Museum Complete Toy Museum Electric Toy Museum

Ok, so what I'm missing from my arsenal of sounds is something simple and lofi, and I'm quite interested in UVI's Complete toy museum, as I've been offered it at a good price (new).

There's very little info on the web in terms of reviews and walkthroughs.
I'd like to hear what people think of it?
Is it a case of a lot of virtually identical instruments? Or is there just a ton of variety?

I've looked high and low for alternatives, and they just don't exist.
I've bought Puremagnetik's Toybox and for $12 it's not bad, but it only has 14 instruments. Complete toy museum has 300, so it's not even remotely comparable.

I've also got ToyBoy from Pluggotec which is great for the price. But again it contains what would be equivilant to maybe 2 of CTM's 300 instruments. It's a bit like having a solo violin compared to a whole orchestra in terms of content.

So, does anyone have it and what do you think of it?

I ... like it, I guess. I also bought it on a good sale several years ago, and the sounds are of the quality one would hope / expect from UVI, so I don't really have any complaints. And I do use it on occasion, so I don't want to sell it. I suppose it's just not as useful or inspirational to me, personally, as I thought it would be. I really just bought it in a fit of GAS. If I had it to do over, I'd think long and hard about spending the money. But if you're comfortable that you actually need it, Toy Museum is a perfectly fine collection.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, it's a lot of money for something quite niche. I'd be happy if there was a 'lite' version with 1/3 of the content for 1/3 of the price, but that's not an option unfortunately. Do you find a that a lot of the instruments are very similar or is there a good variety?

Armadillo wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, it's a lot of money for something quite niche. I'd be happy if there was a 'lite' version with 1/3 of the content for 1/3 of the price, but that's not an option unfortunately. Do you find a that a lot of the instruments are very similar or is there a good variety?
I got for for I think it was $116 $166.99 last Black Friday at the sweet Uncle. It didn't inspire me a lot though. I found the teasers from UVI more inspiring but I guess that's the most important :D.

I think many of the instruments are simular or not inspiring at all. I like UVI stuff normally.
Last edited by Hans25 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armadillo wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Many instruments are variations on a theme (either variations of the exact same instrument or closely-related ones). Even so, there is pretty good variety, and I haven't found anything to be missing. It's just that I haven't found it that essential either.

That being said, if I saw it on sale for the $116 that Hans25 mentions, I'd consider that a very fair deal.

Hans25: I can't believe you got it for $116 - I've never seen it for under $250. Lucky bastard :D

I don't have any UVI stuff, other than Digital synsasions which I got when it was free. That one was quite a disappointment, but apart from that I don't know exactly where UVI is at it terms of quality.

If you guys have any tracks you want to share that uses CTM feel free, as there's hardly anything on the web apart from the handful of demos on UVI's site.

Armadillo wrote:Hans25: I can't believe you got it for $116 - I've never seen it for under $250. Lucky bastard :D

I don't have any UVI stuff, other than Digital synsasions which I got when it was free. That one was quite a disappointment, but apart from that I don't know exactly where UVI is at it terms of quality.

If you guys have any tracks you want to share that uses CTM feel free, as there's hardly anything on the web apart from the handful of demos on UVI's site.
Yes I'm a lucky bastard :D. I might sell it - or trade it let me think about it 8). I don't have any tracks with the CTM but I supposed I could make a demo and go through the sounds. My time is just a little spare at the moment. But maybe I can manage to do it sooner than later.

In general I don't think UVI has bad products. You just have to accept that it's a sofisticated rompler and not a synth. There are many ways to sculp the presets and there are a lot of presets mostly. I think that they do a tremendous job in getting high quality sounds straight out of the box. I like Digital synsations but maybe it's because I don't know the original synth they are sampled from.

Their effect Sparkverb is also great.

I have Acousticsamples Sunbird which runs in the UVI player, but that's about it.

Don't worry about the demo - it was just in case you had something lying around.

I don't think you are allowed to sell it though. Not many sample libraries allow resale actually. Bit of a bummer.
Otherwise I'd probably be interested.

There's three 'toy museum' products ..... Acoustic Toys, Electronic Toys, and the Complete collection.

are you sure you got the Complete collection for $116 ?

because if memory serves me correctly, the black friday sale price for ~$116 was only for either the acoustic or electronic, not the complete collection.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this though.

Daags wrote:There's three 'toy museum' products ..... Acoustic Toys, Electronic Toys, and the Complete collection.

are you sure you got the Complete collection for $116 ?

because if memory serves me correctly, the black friday sale price for ~$116 was only for either the acoustic or electronic, not the complete collection.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this though.
Sorry I didn't remember correctly. It was $166.99 for CTM but still a good deal and it WAS Complete Toy Museum. Image

Armadillo wrote:I have Acousticsamples Sunbird which runs in the UVI player, but that's about it.

Don't worry about the demo - it was just in case you had something lying around.

I don't think you are allowed to sell it though. Not many sample libraries allow resale actually. Bit of a bummer.
Hmm I thought UVI allowed it? Haven't tried though. I know that Acoustic Samples doesn't.

Hans25 wrote:
Armadillo wrote:I have Acousticsamples Sunbird which runs in the UVI player, but that's about it.

Hmm I thought UVI allowed it? Haven't tried though. I know that Acoustic Samples doesn't.
I couldn't find any info on website about licence transfer. :?

Anyway, if you decide to sell it, and get confirmation from UVI, I'll happily pay $166 :)

Armadillo wrote:
Hans25 wrote:

I couldn't find any info on website about licence transfer. :?

Anyway, if you decide to sell it, and get confirmation from UVI, I'll happily pay $166 :)
Ok... Well I can't find anything either than that they haven't considered it if you look at this thread. UVI wouldn't allow people to resell their old collection when upgrading to Vintage Vault:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&start=45
A few words for a quick summary on the Vintage Vault (VV) upgrade offer :...

...2. I have to admit that basically, we haven't really thought about customers reselling their original products.
We feel it is not super fair as you had a special discount because of these single titles.

Well, that was a different case I guess, as it was about an upgrade.

I found this thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5626876

with this quote:
They are re-sellable. I've done it a couple of times. Unless something has changed in the last few months, you simply have to transfer it via iLok. Next write UVI to manually notify iLok. Not a big deal. Hope this helps.
Best to check with them directly I think, if you want to sell it.

Armadillo wrote:Well, that was a different case I guess, as it was about an upgrade.

I found this thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5626876

with this quote:
They are re-sellable. I've done it a couple of times. Unless something has changed in the last few months, you simply have to transfer it via iLok. Next write UVI to manually notify iLok. Not a big deal. Hope this helps.
Best to check with them directly I think, if you want to sell it.
Ah ok. They should state the license policy on their website.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”