Are the competitors scared of Studio One now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

no

I don't think they are scared, but they couldn't be indifferent neither.

Regardless "smart" comments, S1 does represent an alternative to older DAWs and a very appealing one for many users. That translates in most cases in losses for competitors, so they'd be stupid not to care. They care and that's why some already included several features that Studio One innovated in it's first two versions. The latest update could indicate they are indeed serious about addressing problems but also about adding new stuff that can make S1 even more appealing.

Anyway, do not worry, like Lawrence said before, there's room for everybody under the sun. Whoever does not feel productive with something can try something else. Plenty of options.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

They're so scared there are like four v3's for sale in the classifieds in the first two pages at the moment (including mine).

No.

:?
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

They shouldn't be scared - they should be motivated (as all good competition should do).

Ran across this video showing some of the workflow differences between Logic, Cubase, and S1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaulV_dUpg

Most DAWs can accomplish pretty much the same things now and often have similar functionality / features. However, the implementation and workflow of those features is what separates them. I think S1 has the other DAWs beat in many of those cases - but falls short in others. It all depends on which of those cases you need in your music making.

No.
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Probably not. Most of us are dumb enough to buy multiple hosts :D

Seriously though, I used S1 for awhile. Reminded me slightly of Cubase. Then I started to notice things here and there that were missing from S1 that were present in Cubase. And... I missed Cubase as I know how to use Cubase already. I don't care to elaborate but Cubase feels like home to me and S1 felt like a odd other dimensional home... in a bad way...

I don't use Logic or PT for midi so can't comment on any of that but some of the comments about S1 in that video are incorrect and he completely left out that all of those midi edit dialog functions can be setup to attack the midi in actions, with fully assignable parameters.

That's one reason, if I were actually looking at multiple hosts, I'd be not so inclined to give these kinds of videos too much value because they're always dependent on the video producer actually being fully up to speed on the functions of each host, which is rarely the case.

LawrenceF wrote:I don't use Logic or PT for midi so can't comment on any of that but some of the comments about S1 in that video are incorrect and he completely left out that all of those midi edit dialog functions can be setup to attack the midi in actions, with fully assignable parameters.
I think it is probably hard to know every single feature of every single host - and some hosts have features that are self-evident, while others you have to hunt for.

What do you mean by "midi edit dialog functions can be setup to attack the midi in actions"? What was incorrect about the video?

LawrenceF wrote:
Q: Are the competitors scared of Studio One now?
Silly question really, sorry. There's enough market space for everybody and any idea that any workstation company is "scared" of another is based on pure immature completely made up Internet fantasy daw war nonsense.

It's seems some daw users aren't truly happy unless there's a battle going on, so they just create them. :shrug:

Why would any company be "scared" when it's clear that most people here own like 4-5 (or all) of them? A sale is a sale. :hihi:
well said Lawrence and much better than my thoughts, I'm thinking this is one of the most ********* threads I have seen in quite a while here at KvR.

The landscape is constantly changing, it is not motivated by fear at all. Magix just slashed their prices by epic amounts, I am not going to sit here and believe that it's because they are afraid. It's because they are competitive and working to keep up with other companies. They need to serve their customer base and at the same time keep bringing in new customers. Like I said it isn't fear, it's a bold move and perhaps an example of them hearing what customers want and also keeping a sharp eye on the market. I am sure the same holds true for every other company out there, not just DAWs, not just in the music industry but in the general market place. You gotta go with the flow if you want to compete with all the companies...not just S1 (please keep in mind that though I use Samplitude I use a Presonus 26/26 Firestudio and a Presonus Firestudio project so I am surely not a hater when it comes to Presonus) :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I’m a little scared.

5Lives wrote:What do you mean by "midi edit dialog functions can be setup to attack the midi in actions"? What was incorrect about the video?
I meant that some of the things you can accomplish with macros (for midi editing) aren't really obvious. Some actions have "arguments", meaning that you can make a macro step to do midi thing X, open the dialog for midi thing X and set it a certain way, and every time you fire that action it does that thing.

Lot of modern daws have macros and edit actions that can be put in macros, that's pretty common now. Very few (in my experience anyway) have action steps with arguments you can directly set to make an action do any one of multiple different things.

If you look through Studio One's actions in the macro editor you'll see lots of actions with "..." after them, those are the ones with editable arguments. Those actions don't just do one thing, they'll do anything you can set their dialog's to do...

When you double click on the argument column for one of those, you get the dialog, to set it to do whatever you want....

... so you can see how easy it might be to do something that's not just sitting on a menu from the factory, which might not be that obvious to some users.

And one incorrect thing in the video was the guy saying the midi compression function doesn't work, it does, although the setup might not be all that intuitive (try 1:3 or something, it's kinda backwards :)) and there's no velocity threshold so it's not the best midi compression thing I've seen.

Can't sleep at night

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”