possible solution needed! how to mix without studio monitor?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rich producers please step aside :)

not going to into the history of music is my passion its my love bla bla bla etc . lets get to the point.
im producing edm over 2 years and ive made some tracks on normal speakers ( microlab tmn 4.1). thing is i got four satelite speakers and one subwoofer (because included one is not that good) and settled or configured the speakers the way that they sound best (and using xenyx usb mixer which is not that good either its just for micrphone). by playing lots of tracks i came up to a level for low mid hi where it sounds best or moderate (yes still its not purely accurate speakers but its hearable and sounds just fine for 320k mp3s or waves) .

so whenever im producing on these speakers im comparing my mix with these pro-mixed tracks and try my best to come up as close as possible because i dont know any other ways around.and played my tracks in cars,other headphones hi fi systems etc and it didn't flash that secret that it wasnt mixed in studio monitor !! it did well basically.
maybe it didnt had that width or warmth but it did well and nobody actually complained about the sound quality .( i guess since people are more focused on the melody ,kicks etc and dosnt care that much about sound quality .. i mean if its sounds loud and fat well its good to go for 'em ) bascally how i master is - initially mix everything with around -6db headroom thn start to eq to cut off some freq out the whole mix thn compress the signal thn perhaps some makup gain etc and export (depends on how i want it to sound).

however i cant simply limit myself to that and on the other hand i cant afford monitors either :( . im still a 22 years old guy studys in sun and bedroom producer in dark.

it would be nice if someone provides some advice on what else could be done on the mix based on this case.
iv seen lot of people with this issue they got the talent but in lack of some buk to afford the gear.
thanks. ( i tried to minimize my description compact so comment under for further infos)

Well, if you are broke, than that's it, there's not much left than heavy referencing/learning what you got, really :tu:

I seriously doubt you can't afford some decent second hand monitors doing some summer job in most countries on the planet, sorry I just don't, we aren't talking here about getting Genelecs, but maybe some second hand Yamaha HS 5 or JBL 305, you can even save up for new pair :tu:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-LSR305-5-2- ... 1230846722

If you can't afford monitors, then, like Passing Bye writes, you're stuck with what you have.

However, it sounds like you're doing ok with what you have.

So, if you're not happy with the results you're getting then you should realize try something different. Try different EQ settings, gain settings, different FX, etc.

You're right in that most listeners want something fat and loud. An audiophile of course wants something different....frequencies, subleties, nuances, etc.

Your experience should tell you that you do not have to have the best of everything to be able to get where you want to go. Beethoven couldn't even hear and look what he accomplished :tu: (may not be the right example for you but you get my meaning.)

It sounds like, from your post, that you have set goals. It also sounds like you're not willing to follow those to get to the finish. (That is, if you now want to add to your studio equipment.)

Re-evaluate your goals; set reasonable goals; follow through.

If your sound is not what you want then re-mix until it is what you want. Then master for final result. (Although it sounds like you're already there :tu:)

This is obtainable even on limited and low cost equipment. You have already proved that.

When you listen on some other speakers (car, home stereo, ipod or other MP3 player, etc.) and it's not sounding right to you then the solution is to mix again - listen again (again and again) until you have what you're looking for.

Once you can get real studio monitors the learning starts all over again.

Having a premium set of studio monitors is not the Holy Grail. They are not the do all end all. The results are not automatic and guaranteed just because you have studio monitors.

Sure, they help tremendously, but as you have stated, you're getting reasonable results with what you have.

Above all, be happy with what you have worked for and gotten. There's no such thing as perfection in this hobby ;) It's an endless money pit :hihi:

HTH

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Clarity of sounds within the mix is important, if you crowd certain frequencies,
flood the mix with effects, or deploy enough bass to make cats fly,
you'll not like the results. Six clear parts, well composed/performed,
are better than twenty that defeat each other. You want your music
to sound good on common devices lacking eq controls. Owners of
more expensive setups leaning towards audiophile, can always eq to taste,
if the fundamentals exist. You also want uniformity, so that such adjusments,
if desired, are done once, not song by song. Grandma won't like getting up
out of the rocker to twiddle the Marantz bass and treble every five minutes. :wink:

For another useful aspect, feed this to google:

studio monitors "room size"

Lots of discussions by people who have dealt with similar issues.
Cheers

Actually there are some solutions possbile from VST's to some hardware.
I bought the VRM Box used for 50 euros so if you can afford that that's my recommendation. Keep in mind though it requires S/pdif if you want full ease of use (I don't have that on my AI) or otherwise you'd have to select it as your AI when mixing (not that big of a deal really)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/a ... vrmbox.htm
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/
https://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/v ... tudio.html
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”