New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

I personally would rather read something at my own pace -- usually far faster than tutorial videos tend to get around to spitting out the same information, and without the several minutes of logo, irrelevant music, awkward introduction, and begging to subscribe to their channel or whatever.

I once searched for information about doing something in Maschine which could be fully explained in 8 words -- and all I found was a 6-minute long video. Which of course can't be indexed in search engines so it was that much more difficult to find. It's a waste.

Tutorial videos have their place, but I think they're overused. Ditto for TED Talks and the like -- I would so much rather skim an article than sit through 45 minutes of somebody blathering.

Manuals or videos, yet nothing can replace this tutorial: brew some coffee & dive into it all the way. Be proactive & self-taught a bit, it's not quantum mechanics or nuclear physics. Dig, explore and experiment yourself.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark wrote:I personally would rather read something at my own pace -- usually far faster than tutorial videos tend to get around to spitting out the same information, and without the several minutes of logo, irrelevant music, awkward introduction, and begging to subscribe to their channel or whatever.

I once searched for information about doing something in Maschine which could be fully explained in 8 words -- and all I found was a 6-minute long video. Which of course can't be indexed in search engines so it was that much more difficult to find. It's a waste.

Tutorial videos have their place, but I think they're overused. Ditto for TED Talks and the like -- I would so much rather skim an article than sit through 45 minutes of somebody blathering.
Sometimes words aren't enough. Would you really want to read a book on how to swing a golf club correctly or would you rather watch somebody demonstrate the proper stance, etc.?

Some tutorial videos (especially for very complicated synths) were life savers for me, and that was AFTER reading the manual and feeling more confused than before I read it. Sometimes you just need to see somebody do something.

But that's just me. I guess everybody is different.

More options to learn is always best. A person can choose the best method he/she prefers.

rockbottom wrote:why would you tutorials? isn't the text self-explanatory?
well, it's also worth noting that the developer is already in the business of producing and publishing tutorials, as can be seen here on his site:
http://sound-guru.com/tutorials/

so why not produce some ('free') ones for his commercial plugin...

anyway, what I'm really interested in is a PDF of the manual (online manuals are not my preference)
did I overlook the link for the PDF or does it not exist ?

cheers

foosnark wrote:usually far faster than tutorial videos tend to get around to spitting out the same information, and without the several minutes of logo, irrelevant music, awkward introduction, and begging to subscribe to their channel or whatever.
Haha... ouch! Well, when you put it *that* way... :hihi:

I will probably think of this post and chuckle every time I click on one of the cheezier tutorial videos on youtube... which like most of us is unfortunately pretty often. Too bad in a way, because I do appreciate the effort no matter what the quality for the most part but yes, well written manuals are definitely often more useful than even well done videos - especially if you're after a specific piece info. :tu:

Can always save the online one as a PDF....

wagtunes wrote:Sometimes words aren't enough. Would you really want to read a book on how to swing a golf club correctly or would you rather watch somebody demonstrate the proper stance, etc.?
I can't stand golf, I am terrible at it, and was a disappointment to my grandfather when he tried to teach me :lol: But I get what you mean, and I did say tutorial videos do have their place. (Though in a lot of cases like that, an actual teacher who can tell you what you're doing wrong is irreplaceable even by a video.)

Maschine though, comes with a fantastic tutorial PDF that walks you step by step through creating two projects, teaching you 90% of the functionality, both from the hardware controller and from mouse/keyboard. And there's a pretty good manual, easily searchable, that can get you through the couple of minor bits the tutorial forgot. Yet there are a thousand Maschine tutorials out there, some behind subscription paywalls, that teach you how to do basic things. That's just weird to me.

But then, I'm a software developer, used to reading documentation and code to learn things. Tutorial videos are pretty much useless compared to easily searchable written instructions and descriptions.

foosnark wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Sometimes words aren't enough. Would you really want to read a book on how to swing a golf club correctly or would you rather watch somebody demonstrate the proper stance, etc.?
I can't stand golf, I am terrible at it, and was a disappointment to my grandfather when he tried to teach me :lol: But I get what you mean, and I did say tutorial videos do have their place. (Though in a lot of cases like that, an actual teacher who can tell you what you're doing wrong is irreplaceable even by a video.)

Maschine though, comes with a fantastic tutorial PDF that walks you step by step through creating two projects, teaching you 90% of the functionality, both from the hardware controller and from mouse/keyboard. And there's a pretty good manual, easily searchable, that can get you through the couple of minor bits the tutorial forgot. Yet there are a thousand Maschine tutorials out there, some behind subscription paywalls, that teach you how to do basic things. That's just weird to me.

But then, I'm a software developer, used to reading documentation and code to learn things. Tutorial videos are pretty much useless compared to easily searchable written instructions and descriptions.
I would love to have somebody sit down with me and teach me how to use the more complex synths, like Cycle which drives me nuts. But I don't have the kind of money it would cost to hire that person.

Now a really great Cycle video. I'd pay for that.

Is this plugin dead? I've contacted the owner because I find some bugs & suggestion in the demo. Never get a response, and I don't know if it will be officially released or not.

I need to decide if buy it or not, but I'd like to know if it could be "improved" :)
Any idea?

He was active a couple of weeks ago...

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:26 pm
widdershins wrote:Hello all, there was a UI crash still present in the recent release - redownload from the same link in the update email to get a fixed version.

Nowhk wrote:Is this plugin dead? I've contacted the owner because I find some bugs & suggestion in the demo. Never get a response, and I don't know if it will be officially released or not.

I need to decide if buy it or not, but I'd like to know if it could be "improved" :)
Any idea?
The Mangle is alive and well but the developer is a self confessed terrible communicator as he has written to me many times with his apologies for taking so long to respond.

I am currently waiting for him to get back to me in regard to 50 patches I've created for the "factory" library when it's released. It will probably be another 2 weeks or so before I hear back. That's just the way it is.

But I can assure you, he's working on this. It's active and has seen a lot of improvements since its initial release including embedded audio so that patches save with the audio files, thus eliminating the need to bundle them up when creating sound libraries.

Nice! I've already buyed it ;)
I'm on Windows 7 Professional, FL Studio 12.

Bugs:

- Once I change the steps in the sequencer, to get the effective changes of the modulated parameter I need to play the scene 1 or more additional time, else it gets the old steps configuration (try with slow rate/many ms and position marker, you will immediatly notice this). Seems it needs to end/trigger to -INF the previous sound before apply the new edits from the step sequencer modulator.

Suggestions:

- Have a fixed seed for random modulator. In a way that movement are random, but always the same "random". Else, everytime I play a pattern, it plays "different"; change the seed will change the "fixed random";
- Get a "randomize" button on Sequencers? So we don't need to draw every steps every time; one click will draw random steps
- Rename Grain ENV as A(ttack) H(old) D(ecay), not ASR, since they are not really sustain and release (it always follow that envelope; there isn't a "release" stage on grain). It could make confusion learning it ;)
- Graphs feedback in Windows when edit Grain ENV for example is quite frozen: I've seen the video on OSX
version on youtube, and the graphs reacts very fast and quickly;
- "Choke" for grains. I don't mean the already existing "number of grain per voice". But when a new Grain start, it cut/cut by previous one. Would be fantastic for Drums. At the moment happens that grains play over
previous ones, making huge space in the spectrum.
- Some kind or shortcuts for playing the sample (in a fixed position, for preview) using Mouse Click. For example, when I need to create new markers/locks I'd like to hear the preview from the position where I click without any modulation. i.e. Right mouse click on the Waveform might play the the sample on that position without modulation (and maybe without affecting the vertical/volume value).

What do you think? Will make this plugin a very beast!
Last edited by Nowhk on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nowhk wrote: - Have a fixed seed for random modulator. In a way that movement are random, but always the same "random". Else, everytime I play a pattern, it plays "different"; change the seed will change the "fixed random";
- Get a "randomize" button on Sequencers? So we don't need to draw every steps every time; one click will draw random steps
Good thoughts, +1.
Also would be good add to step modulator random play mode (together with other standard modes - back, forth and back).

foosnark wrote:I personally would rather read something at my own pace -- usually far faster than tutorial videos tend to get around to spitting out the same information, and without the several minutes of logo, irrelevant music, awkward introduction, and begging to subscribe to their channel or whatever.

Well, I think you're confusing the purpose of tutorials. They're meant as more of a overview. I like to first go through the tutorials and then read through the manual. It's like watching a lecture and then going home to read the text.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”