Orbital Synthesis - "A New Breed of Instrument"

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, this sounds really beautiful! Could help a lot while making soundtracks.
What about an average CPU usage of Orbit? (I'm on 32 bit)

Depends on the patch, how many effects are enabled, and how high you play on the keyboard (because the higher you play, the harder interpolation has to work to resample).

EvilDragon wrote:Depends on the patch, how many effects are enabled, and how high you play on the keyboard (because the higher you play, the harder interpolation has to work to resample).
Yes, thank you EvilDragon, I thought these would be the things to evaluate.
I was just wondering if on a 32 bit system I can experience an average RAM/CPU stress or not, as with Signal, Gravity or other similar instruments (that I cannot buy) that recommend more than 4Gb Ram and a very fast CPU (mine is 3Ghz): Wide Blue Sounds does not specify these parameters on the product page.

32/64 bit doesn't really come into play here, at all, as far as CPU performance is concerned. Orbit takes about a 100 MB of RAM or so, per patch, I think. Samples themselves don't take up a lot of space, but IR, graphics, modulators and effects used add up to that.

You should be fine with a 3 GHz CPU.

That said, you should probably move onwards to a fully 64-bit system. XP is dead, and you can't even install the version of Kontakt needed for Orbit on it, either (needs some DLLs not available for XP since Kontakt is compiled in VC2013 since version 5.3.0 IIRC - and Orbit needs Kontakt 5.5). W7 is really a great OS at this point - never had a crash with it, and it improved upon XP in pretty much every regard.

EvilDragon wrote:32/64 bit doesn't really come into play here, at all, as far as CPU performance is concerned. Orbit takes about a 100 MB of RAM or so, per patch, I think. Samples themselves don't take up a lot of space, but IR, graphics, modulators and effects used add up to that.

You should be fine with a 3 GHz CPU.

That said, you should probably move onwards to a fully 64-bit system. XP is dead, and you can't even install the version of Kontakt needed for Orbit on it, either (needs some DLLs not available for XP since Kontakt is compiled in VC2013 since version 5.3.0 IIRC - and Orbit needs Kontakt 5.5). W7 is really a great OS at this point - never had a crash with it, and it improved upon XP in pretty much every regard.
Thank you once again EvilDragon. So, I just got Orbit and it works smooth and fine on win7 32 bit.
I really love this kind of sound design, it's perfect for my work, and Orbit is made with great taste (IMO).
This will also encourage me to dive deeper into new aspects of kontakt (as I always wish to learn more).

Ah so you ARE on W7. Why 32-bit then? It's not as if RAM is that expensive... you can easily have 16 gigs now, if your motherboard supports it (it usually does). What's the exact CPU you have?

Thanks for your comments on Orbit, though - glad you're enjoying it :)

EvilDragon wrote:Ah so you ARE on W7. Why 32-bit then? It's not as if RAM is that expensive... you can easily have 16 gigs now, if your motherboard supports it (it usually does). What's the exact CPU you have?

Thanks for your comments on Orbit, though - glad you're enjoying it :)
At the time I bought the laptop, win7 32 bit (CPU is i7 M640, 2,8 Ghz turbo boost 3,5) was my choice because many old plugins did not have 64 bit support yet. It'd be great to upgrade, but... I buy licenses, I HATE CRACKS, and so this machine must live on, with all the licenses I cannot move.

Orbit is giving me so many musical ideas that I cannot write them all down (in one day....). Of course, there's some improvements I'd love to see (e.g. modulating the single parameters on each of the 4 orbit slots, and some more), but I am sure there's a lot to do with it until there will be an update. I'm not in a hurry at all.
Again, all my compliments!!

What are the licenses you cannot move?

Cubase 6.5 and Komplete 7 (it's my 3rd installation... and I'm still depending on Kore 2 and all the *.ksd based synths).

To have limits with cpu/ram is not entirely bad yet. I tend to explore much more in depth what I have, instead of buying new stuff all the time. My goal is to design my own sounds, more than just rely on ready to go libs. So, it's all right with me, at the moment. ;-)
Orbit is a very good learning tool too...

There is definitely no problem with Komplete 7. You can do as many installations as you want with the same serial number. The statement is that you shouldn't have it installed on more than 3 computers at the same time. But, a single computer, you can just do it on and on and on, no matter how many times you reinstall the OS.

As for Cubase, well, get an eLicenser and move your license to it, then you can update your OS to 64-bit and bring the licence back to your HD if you want. Off you go into the 64-bit world!

EvilDragon wrote:There is definitely no problem with Komplete 7. You can do as many installations as you want with the same serial number. The statement is that you shouldn't have it installed on more than 3 computers at the same time. But, a single computer, you can just do it on and on and on, no matter how many times you reinstall the OS.

As for Cubase, well, get an eLicenser and move your license to it, then you can update your OS to 64-bit and bring the licence back to your HD if you want. Off you go into the 64-bit world!
THANK YOU!! These are great news for me. Where have I been before?!?

In 32-bit world :P

ZildjianAVC wrote:Most fun of all, ORBIT is on SALE for $150! Use the code DEFY_GRAVITY at checkout. This is only for a short time so act now - there's never been a better time to jump into ORBIT!
Oh phooey, this discount is over apparently... :'(
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Looking at the demo and man, this thing sounds massive! I'm impressed, for soundtrack work it looks like an excellent library. The interface is nice too. I'll put money aside for this library as I plan to produce soundtrack music in the future.

Good work! :tu:

Bought this on the Black Friday Sale for $139 and I am super impressed. Sounds huge. I'm all about ambience/drones which add depth and mystery, and this delivers. I have typically created all my ambience from processing my own guitar recordings, but this will help add weight to anything (note: I don't do soundtracks but I love instrumental music: "postrock", ambient, triphop, lofi etc). This thing is beautiful in the sounds and looks departments. I love the simplicity - the randomise button is a godsend. It's not all ethereal pads and sequences (although they are its forte) - you can even create smooth, droney bass synths pretty quickly.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”