One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

z.prime wrote:
ere2learn wrote:Charlatan is a beast, :o :D :ud: :love:
Yep, great little synth! And deceptively capable of a lot of sounds. Already got a better kick than I've had in the past many OSCs it seems. ;)
How'd u do it?!? :hyper:

bjporter wrote:
z.prime wrote:
ere2learn wrote:Charlatan is a beast, :o :D :ud: :love:
Yep, great little synth! And deceptively capable of a lot of sounds. Already got a better kick than I've had in the past many OSCs it seems. ;)
How'd u do it?!? :hyper:
Filters. And unicorns. Filtered unicorns. You see, I'm going for a new style that needs a huge kick... so I hired some unicorns.

Seriously, though. It's all in the filter + mod env for this one. Nothing new.

For the first time in months I am interested again in a OSC. I really like charlatan, it has a perfect balance of simplicity and usability. Only synth I ever made a whole bank of patches, nay, even two for and had actually fun practicing drum synthesis. If anyone is interested, they are in the KVR download section:
http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=2828

I hope I can participate in this, but for that this f€&@!?ing heat has to stop. No way I'm firing up my computer at 35 degrees here and heating up my apartment even more...
I hate summer.

This thing can produce nice kicks. I have 50 of them to share soon --probably tomorrow :D I need to tweak them a bit.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

50 kicks???? Seriously?? I got bored after 6 or 7. Do you have Kick OCD? ;)

fese wrote:50 kicks???? Seriously?? I got bored after 6 or 7. Do you have Kick OCD? ;)
Yeah, I think I do, hehe. I just save a patch once it sounds good to preserve it, then tweak and continue the process. Took about 45 minutes. It's up to 65 now :hihi: I'll narrow this down though when I share. Also, don't disregard the bp filter for kicks-- it can produce nick clicking sound this way... Cheers
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:
fese wrote:50 kicks???? Seriously?? I got bored after 6 or 7. Do you have Kick OCD? ;)
Yeah, I think I do, hehe. I just save a patch once it sounds good to preserve it, then tweak and continue the process. Took about 45 minutes. It's up to 65 now :hihi: I'll narrow this down though when I share. Also, don't disregard the bp filter for kicks-- it can produce nick clicking sound this way... Cheers
Going for the instance record using just kicks, eh? :)

A suggestion for getting a good kick: rather than the brute force method and sifting through a bunch of stuff afterwards, A/B with a kick sample/track that you are going for. This will inevitably lead to better results as you have a specific target to achieve and something to compare against. Of course for your own track, there may be some tweaking needed... but usually that can be done fairly easily once a solid kick is achieved. I usually end up with 2 or 3 kicks in a track, each made from scratch & continually tweaked before I settle on the one I like most... but they're comprised of multiple layers & eq'd together for best results sometimes, so saving single patches doesn't do a lot of good.

Anyway, cheers... can't wait to hear what you come up with... but please set an 8 minute limit this time! :)

z.prime wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:
Going for the instance record using just kicks, eh? :)

A suggestion for getting a good kick: rather than the brute force method and sifting through a bunch of stuff afterwards, A/B with a kick sample/track that you are going for. This will inevitably lead to better results as you have a specific target to achieve and something to compare against. Of course for your own track, there may be some tweaking needed... but usually that can be done fairly easily once a solid kick is achieved. I usually end up with 2 or 3 kicks in a track, each made from scratch & continually tweaked before I settle on the one I like most... but they're comprised of multiple layers & eq'd together for best results sometimes, so saving single patches doesn't do a lot of good.

Anyway, cheers... can't wait to hear what you come up with... but please set an 8 minute limit this time! :)
Yes, I agree with your method and have used it in past osc's. It works well especially when you also have a bass line going to also tweak against. Tweaking endlessly on solo kicks isn't really effective-- it can sound good on its own, but when mixing with a bass it is completely useless. It should actually be common sense really, but overlooked it this time for an hour or two. I'll try to upload the kicks tomorrow if I have time, if not I'll just throw the lot here without sorting them or quality control (in case they are wanted) if I'm lacking time.

I'm definetely going to enter this osc, but I'll probably only start in a week or two after I finish the current song I'm working on. I have in mind a downtempo psybient track for this one, to change things up a bit. About the track length, I'll be sure to do that-- a super long track is basically the same as a forfeit really :hihi:

TTU Youtube

Just added my track to the Soundcloud group, waiting for approval:
https://soundcloud.com/krisl/osc77

DAW used: Bitwig 1.18
15 Instances of Charlatan
Mainly Bitwig FX used (EQ, compression, delay, reverb), also one instance of FerricTDS on the drums and Voxengo Span on the master.

Reefius wrote:Just added my track to the Soundcloud group, waiting for approval:
https://soundcloud.com/krisl/osc77

DAW used: Bitwig 1.18
15 Instances of Charlatan
Mainly Bitwig FX used (EQ, compression, delay, reverb), also one instance of FerricTDS on the drums and Voxengo Span on the master.
Great stuff. :tu:

Attached are a 101 trance style kicks. Find a good bass then sort till you find a kick that matches it. There's plenty there :hihi: Alternatively, you could use them as a jumping off point. I didn't have any time to shorten the list. Range is from C3-C2 to get best results with 1/16th and 1/8th notes. Arrange the files by date modified to check out the latest ones (which might be best). Cheers
Majestic Dawn Charlatan Kicks.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TTU Youtube

"@Parduz:

You see those 3 icons on Fruity Wrapper (the green one and the other two)? Click on the middle one:"

For FL Studio 12 you can import a patch into a vst by just dragging a fxp file onto the top section of the wrapper too.

Jim

Here is my entry, i'll probably work a bit more on it during the month, so i won't list all the vsts i use just yet. I must admit i may have over processed some of the sounds here? I use compression, limiting, reverb, delay, exiters/enhancers... :roll:

https://soundcloud.com/thebellows/thebe ... dler-osc77

this synth is a lot better, only weird thing is the detune, no matter how much detune you add there is a part, where its over phasing and the wave is canceling out. maybe its the waveform combination i have used.
no sine wave is really poor for a synth. :(

its inspired by applying the Gauß intergral formula to a 2-dim. sphere and step by visualizing what happends.

anyway there it is

https://soundcloud.com/ameyah/differential-form

Ameyah Audio wrote: no sine wave is really poor for a synth. :(
True, but in many VAs, Charlatan included, you can get some semblance of a sine by sending the filter into self-oscillation and turning off the OSCs. I haven't put the result under a scope to see how accurate a sine it is, but it's often good enough (e.g. for kicks)

Return to “Instruments”