Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

benheman wrote:CA dead..... in a few more days!
CA was dead when they made the announcement. All we're waiting for now is the funeral.

FYI for new users who like video tuts, Groove3 still has Alchemy tuts ($15/mo stream) & so does the CA YouTube, you might want to download & save those CA tuts.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

benheman wrote:CA dead..... in a few more days!
Does anyone know if this means we'll be permanently cutoff from the current download location?

I just went through an extensive back and forth with CA support this week with regards to problems securing a complete archive of my Alchemy libs that the installer would recognize as complete - i.e.: as with others the installer doesn't consider the downloads complete for some select libs, even though they are.

Anyway I suppose as long as we have an integral and complete archive of our personal libs, we should be ok. But the other iPad lib archives now in our personal profiles are a bit of a mystery; technically we can't really install those manually - that has to be managed by the Alchemy App. So I don't get what they're doing there at all or how we're supposed to manage them; I DLed them anyway for safe keeping. I inquired about this, but CA support hasn't commented.

Yes we will be permanently cutoff from our account. Mobile (iTunes) accounts continue after 7July, but free mobile libraries that came with the desktop versions will not be updated via iTunes. Read the FAQs on backing up those mobile libraries to your computer and to new devices. They are quite detailed and involve using third party file manager software to move Alchemy files to/from your iPad.

For others who may not know, you can manually download your desktop and iPad mobile libraries from your CA account. Just click the [+] next to each library in your account. The FAQs describe where to put manually downloaded files so the installer sees them, and recommends using a download manager to avoid corruption if download is interrupted. You also need to download the installer and plugins, and be sure to download the latest presets.

Also, you can download small (~15MB) mp4 videos of the 12 Alchemy tutorials from the Tuts section.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:1.55 did not affect performance, only the browser:
Faster preset loading
Faster scan for new presets
Improved handling of preset comment text
Improved handling of AAZ files
Improved compatibility with the biolabs skin
Presets to buy now hidden by default
Improved Windows set up routines
Enabling remote control now prompts user to download Bonjour if not installed
... And enabed users to hide personal data on launch.

thanks Michael for the confirmation!

If you have purchased any products from them, such as Alchemy, CamelPhat or CamelSpace, make sure you have everything you can possibly download safely in reach, as no support is expected from Apple after July 7, 2015.
So does that mean Apple might update LPX that day (or close to that)?

I'm hoping we will hear something to that effect, rather exciting actually.

Michael L wrote:Yes we will be permanently cutoff from our account. Mobile (iTunes) accounts continue after 7July, but free mobile libraries that came with the desktop versions will not be updated via iTunes. Read the FAQs on backing up those mobile libraries to your computer and to new devices. They are quite detailed and involve using third party file manager software to move Alchemy files to/from your iPad.

For others who may not know, you can manually download your desktop and iPad mobile libraries from your CA account. Just click the [+] next to each library in your account. The FAQs describe where to put manually downloaded files so the installer sees them, and recommends using a download manager to avoid corruption if download is interrupted. You also need to download the installer and plugins, and be sure to download the latest presets.

Also, you can download small (~15MB) mp4 videos of the 12 Alchemy tutorials from the Tuts section.
A very big thank you! I didn't realize I could download the mobile libraries from the website. I had thought that would be the one thing I couldn't bring forward past the 7/7 date, since my current iPad is maxed on space.

:tu:

aMUSEd wrote:I'm hoping we will hear something to that effect, rather exciting actually.
Would be nice indeed. I ordered Logic Pro X a few weeks ago and it's on "back order".

Fleer wrote:Would be nice indeed. I ordered Logic Pro X a few weeks ago and it's on "back order".
??

LPX is a download from the AppStore, there is no "back order" or wait time, it's click and download...

aMUSEd wrote:I'm hoping we will hear something to that effect, rather exciting actually.
I am pretty sure the date of the 7th of July is about providing a legally acceptable amount of support to people who purchased the software just before apple bought them. There is not a specific amount defined in law so companies need to decide what is reasonable. So Camel may have said exactly 6 months after the company was purchased.

It is apple's plaything now, so while I wouldn't be surprised if it was in logic 11 (they haven't added any instruments of note in a while) I would be pleasantly surprised if the 7th of July had any kind of announcement
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:
I am pretty sure the date of the 7th of July is about providing a legally acceptable amount of support to people who purchased the software just before apple bought them. There is not a specific amount defined in law so companies need to decide what is reasonable. So Camel may have said exactly 6 months after the company was purchased.

It is apple's plaything now, so while I wouldn't be surprised if it was in logic 11 (they haven't added any instruments of note in a while) I would be pleasantly surprised if the 7th of July had any kind of announcement
Yeah I'm not necessarily expecting something on the day but maybe soon after?

I suspect that alchemy may end up being an update of exs24, which is seriously long in the tooth. I was just looking to see how cheaply I could get a mac that would be able to run it

A mac mini and mainstage would get me the instruments for under £500 - which is OK, without being great
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

MacMini runs Alchemy fine - that's what I did too.

ericj23 wrote:A mac mini and mainstage would get me the instruments for under £500 - which is OK, without being great
a little more money gets you logic x. a whole logic system for the price that logic 7 used to sell for :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”