Heavy Game - (DELETED)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(DELETED)
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow! Dense, energetic, funk/jazz fusion. Is this just one person or a band?

Impressive and exhausting. :)

Frantz wrote:Wow! Dense, energetic, funk/jazz fusion. Is this just one person or a band?

Impressive and exhausting. :)
It's just me and my PC. I was aiming at a "live band in a club" feel. I almost added applause at various points, but that was just too narcissistic. :D

Fabulous track, so much energy. Brass is great! Mind you so is the rest of it!
Enjoying the organ too! Is that sequenced? It sounds pretty live to me. Well done. :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I`m not getting the 'live' impression like some others above.
Heard you say it`s ITB, but my 1st thoughts were that it was sequenced in a multi-timbral hardware synth workstation. Sounds like Yamaha DX/FM? It`s those horn samples I guess that really say DX. :)
The whole thing sounds dated.Heavy sequencing with old style samples/synthesis.
Lot of work went in to this, I commend you on the work, well done.
It would have made an excellent synth demo.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:I`m not getting the 'live' impression like some others above.
Heard you say it`s ITB, but my 1st thoughts were that it was sequenced in a multi-timbral hardware synth workstation. Sounds like Yamaha DX/FM? It`s those horn samples I guess that really say DX. :)
The whole thing sounds <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">dated.Heavy</span> sequencing with old style samples/synthesis.
Lot of work went in to this, I commend you on the work, well done.
It would have made an excellent synth demo.
Allomerus wrote:Fabulous track, so much energy. Brass is great! Mind you so is the rest of it!
Enjoying the organ too! Is that sequenced? It sounds pretty live to me. Well done. :)
Glad you like the piece. I've a few more like this in the attic - none as frenetic as this one though - I'll upload them in the coming weeks.

Notes:
1) It's 100% in the box. The drums are sounds are Jamstix, but the beats are mine. All the rest is HALion 5 - the brass, organs, upright bass, guitars, the lot. And all lovingly input into Cubase with my trusty mouse.
2) Since Steinberg are owned by Yamaha, maybe the DX link is not far off the mark!
3) I listen a lot to brass sections in bands, like early Chicago, or some of Billy Cobham's work, and organists like Brian Auger, and I try to emulate their sound/style.
4) A lot of people say HALion's brass is weak, but I run them through BX's Satuarator saturator to liven them up.

Thanks again for listening!
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That must be it then;
- From Steinberg / Halion site;
The HALion Sonic 2 and HALion 5 sound libraries feature 2,500 new programs, 15 GB of custom-recorded samples. And the quality can only be described as opulent: created in cooperation with the team behind Yamaha’s MOTIF workstations
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

For nerds or just plain curious...
The project window and a couple of mixer views. As you can see, an awful lot of analog emulations on the inserts - I just like the crunchiness of it all. :love:
All those limiters/eqs etc on the outputs aren't doing very much individually, in case you're wondering, it's all cumulative. :)
(Screenshots are full-sized.)

Project Window

Mixer Window - Instruments

Mixer Window - Groups/Stereo Out

Very enjoyable. I liked the the "retro" sounds on here, particularly the horns, which reminded me of "The Purple Lagoon/Approximate" from Zappa's Live in New York album.

Good work :)

Thanks, seismic1!

If you like Billie Ray Martin's voice, you can hear my original version here, (Heavy Game - BRM vocal version (plug, plug)), where I make use of her sample pack.

Return to “Music Cafe”