One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

OK, finally installed Charlatan (been on my watch list a while now...). Seems almost as nice as it's rumored so far :)
As has become the usual start, made my first kick. Struggled to understand Reaper's patch export logic...

So, we'll see if I have time to make something this month and, in that case, if my computer can survive the heat :P

Thanks guys, just found that on this machine (Win7-64 with FL11) the 64bit version of Charlatan does'nt load the banks (or: the wrapper does'nt show the presets) while the 32bit one works like your pictures.
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Daru925 wrote:Creating some drums right now...
https://instaud.io/8JU
Good! Thank you :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

z.prime wrote:Glad I checked on this... I love Charlatan! Sorry to hear about any troubles; v1 was absolutely rock solid during the OSC. I might have to dust off the old windows box for this.

I think... maybe... that the charlatan OSC had the record for most instances of a synth used (something like 82+?) by Ninjamode. And v2 is supposed to be more efficient. I might see if I can break that record... ;)
Bring it on! :P I'll try to get as many as possible here

bjporter wrote:
z.prime wrote:Glad I checked on this... I love Charlatan! Sorry to hear about any troubles; v1 was absolutely rock solid during the OSC. I might have to dust off the old windows box for this.

I think... maybe... that the charlatan OSC had the record for most instances of a synth used (something like 82+?) by Ninjamode. And v2 is supposed to be more efficient. I might see if I can break that record... ;)
Bring it on! :P I'll try to get as many as possible here
Count me in on this action too :) Going for 100!!! :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Parduz wrote:Thanks guys, just found that on this machine (Win7-64 with FL11) the 64bit version of Charlatan does'nt load the banks (or: the wrapper does'nt show the presets) while the 32bit one works like your pictures.
This is the Windows version i'm using too, only with Renoise, having a few problems myself. When it works it seems to work without any problem though, so it's fortunately still usable. There are no presets by default as i can see, but i can load external presets. Some presets don't work for some weird reason though, i can't make any sense out of it, it's just silent whatever i do with it, but when i switch to another preset it's suddenly fine again. I'm not shure which version i use, because it doesn't say if it's 32 bit or 64 bit and only one shows up in Renoise even though i installed both.

TheBellows wrote: I'm not shure which version i use, because it doesn't say if it's 32 bit or 64 bit and only one shows up in Renoise even though i installed both.
I'm on Reaper so might not apply in your case, but I had to rename one of the dll:s in order to have both versions show up.

mehum wrote:
TheBellows wrote: I'm not shure which version i use, because it doesn't say if it's 32 bit or 64 bit and only one shows up in Renoise even though i installed both.
I'm on Reaper so might not apply in your case, but I had to rename one of the dll:s in order to have both versions show up.
That'll probably work i guess, i'll try that, maybe that solves the other problems too perhaps?

Just a quick question: Am i allowed to use the native convolution DSP? I mean strictly for reverb purposes of course.
The other native reverbs in Renoise doesn't do it for me, so i hope this is acceptable. :scared:

If it comes bundled with Renoise you can use it or if its free some where,

Whats does DCO stand for and do under the global section in Charlatan?

edit - search is my friend
karrikuh wrote:I thought I'd clarify a bit the workings of that magical DCO switch. What has been stated above is mostly correct, but only half the truth. In fact, DCO has several effects:
  • * DCO off in poly mode: free running oscillators. Further more, voices are randomly detuned slightly against each other so that when playing octaves, there is a slight beating.
    * DCO on in poly mode: phase locking of voices to a virtual master oscillator. Voices have perfect tuning relative to each other.
    * DCO on in mono/legato mode: if a note is triggered after the synth was silent, phases of osc1 and 2 are reset at note start (so this is similar to retrigger option in other synths)
    * DCO on (all modes): perfect relative tuning of osc1 and 2. Thus, if the oscs are tuned exactly 0,1 or 2 octaves relative to each other, no beating will occur. Very important to achieve certain effects (e.g. a phase-locked sub osc, or creating new waveforms via e.g. ring mod)
    * DCO off (all modes): slight pitch drift between osc1 and 2
Finally, note that a global pitch drift happens regardless of the DCO settings.
Last edited by ere2learn on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

So maybe I'm gonna enter the OSC. First time.
This is just a quick draft of what will become the main 'theme'.

Using Ardour4.1 on KXStudio (yes that's linux) just some reverb and compression here and there.
I wanna make some BIG sounds, I guess I'll need to layer a lot of sounds with this synth to make this happen :-)

https://soundcloud.com/rghvdberg/rghvdberg-quack-doctor

Reefius wrote:Already started on a track, this time something completely different (no trance or acid) :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/krisl/osc77

Not yet ready to submit it to the OSC Soundcloud group, but it's a start. I kinda like the vibe in it :phones:

So far I have 10 instances of Charlatan, running in Bitwig 1.8.

All feedback is welcome :D

Once again proof that even the simplist tools in the right hands produces beautiful results. Your challenge my friend is to now somehow improve this without distroying it.......good luck. I have thoroughly enjoyed your tracks.

Peace

ere2learn wrote:If it comes bundled with Renoise you can use it or if its free some where,

Whats does DCO stand for and do under the global section in Charlatan?

edit - search is my friend
karrikuh wrote:I thought I'd clarify a bit the workings of that magical DCO switch. What has been stated above is mostly correct, but only half the truth. In fact, DCO has several effects:
  • * DCO off in poly mode: free running oscillators. Further more, voices are randomly detuned slightly against each other so that when playing octaves, there is a slight beating.
    * DCO on in poly mode: phase locking of voices to a virtual master oscillator. Voices have perfect tuning relative to each other.
    * DCO on in mono/legato mode: if a note is triggered after the synth was silent, phases of osc1 and 2 are reset at note start (so this is similar to retrigger option in other synths)
    * DCO on (all modes): perfect relative tuning of osc1 and 2. Thus, if the oscs are tuned exactly 0,1 or 2 octaves relative to each other, no beating will occur. Very important to achieve certain effects (e.g. a phase-locked sub osc, or creating new waveforms via e.g. ring mod)
    * DCO off (all modes): slight pitch drift between osc1 and 2
Finally, note that a global pitch drift happens regardless of the DCO settings.
Oh cool. And i thought Charlatan has only free running oscillators. Thanks for the tip. :tu:

i will definitely participate this time. :tu:

Charlatan is a beast, :o :D :ud: :love:

ere2learn wrote:Charlatan is a beast, :o :D :ud: :love:
Yep, great little synth! And deceptively capable of a lot of sounds. Already got a better kick than I've had in the past many OSCs it seems. ;)

Return to “Instruments”