Akai Advance VIP Software my first thoughts Not so good and heres why!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear AKAI and creators of VIP software > 1+1=2 The wheel has been invented. It works,stop fighting it. please read to understand

1. My biggest beef with this VIP software is the browser.. why though?
Results are in the left column but tags on the right? What in the world we're you thinking Akai? If you start left you end right, if you start right you end left. In the case of a browser, it never makes sense to start one way, to only go backwards to find the result.. So if we can get this understanding, It's a natural progression left to right, why wouldn't you just put the results at the right? Like all other software that works great with a good browser? Wait till you play it to see for yourself. 1+1=2 do you notice how the end result is at the end of the equation? Fix this, if you want a better workflow. NI does browsing correctly, Akai it's simple, please fix this! I'm assuming this was never an issue for m-audio users with the original VIP software with the odd trigger finger v2 users lol, but it really is!!

2. No support for qwerty keyboards, again, no offense, just not thinking when they coded this I guess. Users migrating from NI will want this,as well as any Omni users that are used to moving thru a large amount of sounds via qwerty, well it's not there. I bring up that NI thing, as you seem to pimp their products more then your own.
Use the qwerty keyboard arrows as an option to browse, any dev creating synths/samplers with browsers with a ton of sounds should know this, 101 imo..besides the fact, options are better then none.

3. MULTI's well what can i say, I bought the advance about 75% reason being I want to layer sounds, like Kore 2, and I can load sounds to create MULTI's fine from the Akai advance hardware, works good, but if I try n load slot one with a patch in the VIP Software,at first it works fine, but then if I try and load another sound from the software in slot two, GUESS what happens to the slot one sound? Adios yep, it disappears, so what will we call this, aggravate the customer who doesn't like the idea of being forced to fiddle with the hardware.
To properly layer, one needs to be able to demo other sounds,mix and blend them, NOT GUESS what will work. Tone2 electraX dev's also did this, and i sold it off as soon as I saw V2 not fix the issue. It really doesn't make sense. In the VIP case, it works from hardware as it should, but not from the software. NOT COOL! Is there a fix for this??

Sorry for the rant, other then that it's built well, I'm not in love with the keybed, but at the time of this writing, i loaded up the latest firmware, and the board responds better to velocity, so it proves Akai is listening.. I hope you HEAR this one as well.

Truth is, I was dying to demo this board, as a Komplete Kontrol user, but hated the fact i was limited to one sound and couldn't layer sounds in KK software. All the while, NI will eventually get their end right, I figured I'd get the board home to see if it could work for me. Fix these above issues, and yes all day, wouldn't care about the bells and whistles only the core workflow issues I named above.

Thanks for reading ;)
Last edited by trusampler on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

trusampler wrote:Thanks for reading ;)
Thanks for ranting :lol:

chili beans wrote:
trusampler wrote:Thanks for reading ;)
Thanks for ranting :lol:
:hihi: rarely happens,but always a pleasure.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ

8)

The above is true but what really bugs me is Omnisphere 2 makes VIP blow up if you try to open the gui...bad Akai

I can feel for Akai, they took on what is a major project here in the audio world. They are going head to head with N.I. and for that I give them all the props and respect in the world,despite how my issues with this software may appear. I too own the Akai Mpc Ren and love what they've accomplished with it vs. Maschine which I own it as well. Not picking sides,they both do things I love,but if I had to choose between the two, I'd keep my Mpc. For now..

I have no doubt in my mind, they will obtain a better sense of the direction and workflow, real everyday daw users and plugin junkies use in a few short months,once these boards make it in the hands of more users,and customers make their thoughts known. The guys developing for the Mpc are on fire lately creating a lot of nice features and smarter workflows for slicing features etc.

Good news, I've heard Omni 2 is high on their list of plugin maps to be updated. I've still got a lot of ground to cover with importing my own sounds and learning the exact behavior and feature set of VIP,but I think Akai can and will make this as good of a product as it can be with some hardwork. Perhaps Akai should open the door on how these maps are made, and users can help out with some of these tasks for plugin maps? I know tonight I'll be looking at custom tags, that should help me understand more about the design.

Big Tick coded it, based on Zen I understand
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Your right,similar, there's also HUGE hints of Arsenal the software that came with the M-audio Trigger Finger V2 which is essentially v1 of VIP, it wasn't a big hit at all, with Maschine and the MPC making all the news, they obviously came together and created a new idea,most of which I think will remain. No clue if Tick created the software Arsenal for M-Audio ?

Either way it has a lot of potential I'm pulling for them,just hoping they can deliver updates that can make this one a real lasting option. My gripes will surely pass,as it's wearing on me already and I can adapt, but I wanted to point out a few issues I felt we're right out the box,strange.

The moment I loaded Spire along with a Sylenth patch, and started turning some knobs, in a Multi I had alot of better vibes for it.
Off to try some custom patches,and see what the import of these other banks will be like.

One feature that would completely turn this software around is this.

1. Load a Synth/Instrument
2. Now the only tags you see on the UI tagging system,are the ones that fit that particular synth has to offer. Right now they are greyed out,but there's still tons of them.Removing them for the few moments one needs to sort, would mean the world.

This way it'd make for a cleaner search while viewing. This would probably be a very simple fix. I do love the fact they offer you a way to customize your vsti's with our own tags. Very smart. :tu:

For a 1.0 I've got to admit, I'm becoming very pleased. I just discovered theres a way to Auto Import not only patches, but Banks yep, they killed it here.. Good one Akai! this is a true time saver, and this is working with me, vs. against me ;)

Return to “Instruments”