How to Process Bass for Progressive House

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wasn't sure whether this should go under instruments or effects, sorry first post. First off, I use FL Studio 11. When I make progressive house I use a simple Sylenth Saw for the top bass and a Nexus Sub bass for the Low end. I EQ the Sub bass to not clash with the kick, and I separate both basses to about 10 o'clock on the stereo separation knob. I use a bit of compression and Sausage Fattener, but I still can't get the "perfect sound". I'm trying to match the classic Alesso & Nicky Romero prog house bass. Any suggestions??

Thank you in advance, all help is appreciated!!

crucetopher wrote:Wasn't sure whether this should go under instruments or effects
Probably under "production techniques".

Why are you panning your sub bass?
I'm trying to match the classic Alesso & Nicky Romero prog house bass.
Please post that examples :idea:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Mono
Saturation
Resonant HP filter/eq
Compression
ImageImageImageImage

Yeah, multiband distortion (something like Ohmicide, Trash, Saturn...) and chorus too on that saw layer, watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtkr1tRS30
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

[/quote]
Please post that examples :idea:[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snVhi74Q3vk
Drop @ 3:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyPUEWZxGw
Drop @ 1:30

Sound sort of different, but they are both incredibly well mixed and processed.

Make the perfect track,then you'll have the "perfect"sound.seriously,everybody here dishing out advice is gonna be pretty useless without a context.just keep producing tracks and eventually you'll reach a point where you kinda just know what your tracks need.it doesn't matter if your 1st few tracks have shitty bottom end or your transients aren't to your liking or whatever.eventually,it all just becomes second nature

Have no idea why you feel that you need to eq the sub out of the way of the kick.if this is bigroom we are talking about (it is this is not progressive house:see jon hopkins,james holden and Groj for reference)the kick is the sub.you're only making your life more difficult by trying to fit a sub in under the bass when the kick hits.you can have sub notes on the offbeats of the kick,but you'll eventually end up chasing your tail rectifying things that don't need rectifying if you also have them on the kicks aswell,and if loudness is your desired goal,you're severely hurting your chances of getting decent perceived loudness by doing that.so,swerve the sub playing on the kick and just opt to have some slightly higher 2nd,3rd order harmonics (if your kick is just a fundamental and a click that is.otherwise,it might be difficult trying to squeeze that in depending on what's going on in your arrangement)enveloped to fit around the kick.
I

Return to “Production Techniques”