Synth appearance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:The new Xils synth looks appealing to me, albeit a bit boring, but it is rather
I like it as well... Simple, clean and they have a large interface option as well. Pretty faithful of the original. Xils make some of the best synths on the planet imo. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

rod_zero wrote: I guess for some the best is the best of both worlds: aesthetical pleasing but functional, as for example: Hive, Diva, Serum, Spire, Massive, etc.
I guess it's not THAT subjective at all then, because those are examples i would mention too if someone asked for pleasing but functional GUI's. And it just confirms my perception that there are dev's who have a feeling for function and operation, and there are some who don't.

An extreme example:

Typical for open source/Linux software btw. Often seems to me like they hacked into the console for too long. 8)

I don't think ergonomics are a big mystery anyway. It's well known what is functional and what is not. If you take different computer OS's for example, their approach is mostly similar. Of course also has to do with what the people are used to, bue revolutionize the workflow, and people will be put off. Especially when, as it is in most cases, the revolution is in many ways not obvious or logical.

chk071 wrote:
rod_zero wrote: I guess for some the best is the best of both worlds: aesthetical pleasing but functional, as for example: Hive, Diva, Serum, Spire, Massive, etc.
I guess it's not THAT subjective at all then, because those are examples i would mention too if someone asked for pleasing but functional GUI's. And it just confirms my perception that there are dev's who have a feeling for function and operation, and there are some who don't.

An extreme example:

Typical for open source/Linux software btw. Often seems to me like they hacked into the console for too long. 8)

I don't think ergonomics are a big mystery anyway. It's well known what is functional and what is not. If you take different computer OS's for example, their approach is mostly similar. Of course also has to do with what the people are used to, bue revolutionize the workflow, and people will be put off. Especially when, as it is in most cases, the revolution is in many ways not obvious or logical.
IMO, Zyn is the biggest train wreck ever made in the history of soft synths. A total disaster.

The GUI is, absolutely. The synth itself isn't bad actually. But i just can't be arsed at all to spend time with such a bullcr** GUI. There's no thought that even has been going in making it easy for the user. The synth is absolutely useless with that GUI.

Call me weird, but this is a beautiful GUI!

So lovely underground aesthetics!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote:The GUI is, absolutely. The synth itself isn't bad actually. But i just can't be arsed at all to spend time with such a bullcr** GUI. There's no thought that even has been going in making it easy for the user. The synth is absolutely useless with that GUI.
Totally agree.... This so unfriendly that it'd be far too much hassle to use.

But I've seen a few interfaces like this over the years. What really surprises me tho', is the lack of will to improve it for the costumer (in a lot of cases). Surely this will do a disservice for the synth and affect it's popularity negatively. :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

It's open source.

Get off your butt and improve it yourself, or hire someone to and stop your complaining!

"OH MY GOSH! I was given this for FREE, but it isn't PERFECT in EVERY WAY!"

I'm 100% serious, not just trying to be an ass here. Start a fund for it on kickstarter, "ZynAddSubFX GUI fund" or something. Do anything, but please stop complaining about a gift. Even just start a thread "GUI layouts for ZynAddSubFX ideas/volunteers?"

What it equates to is: f**k you guys and f**k your gifts, we're better off without it!

No, it is exactly that.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

That thing is ancient, probably started under W95 8) So I am not really surprised it looks the way it does...

aciddose wrote:It's open source.

Get off your butt and improve it yourself, or hire someone to and stop your complaining!
Gift horse bonus? I thought open source and Linux tries to be an alternative to Windows MacOS and payware? No? Ok, if that isn't the case then my point of view will change, and i will take it as it is. And that's inferior.

I can't program btw, and that won't change in the near future. So how the hell am i supposed to improve it? And why the hell would i start a kickstarter for something i can just leave aside. And for what purpose? To hire some amateurs to improve something which sucks?

Sorry but you asked for it.

aciddose wrote:It's open source.

"OH MY GOSH! I was given this for FREE, but it isn't PERFECT in EVERY WAY!"

I'm 100% serious, not just trying to be an ass here. Start a fund for it on kickstarter, "ZynAddSubFX GUI fund" or something. Do anything, but please stop complaining about a gift. Even just start a thread "GUI layouts for ZynAddSubFX ideas/volunteers?"

What it equates to is: f**k you guys and f**k your gifts, we're better off without it!

No, it is exactly that.
I'm sorry but that's a cop out. That's like me putting together a piece of crap and saying to the community, "Here! You want something better? Fix it yourself."

I don't care if it's free or a million dollars. When you create something for the rest of the world, you do your best work. If you can't, or don't give a crap that it's garbage, then get somebody to fix it or expect the community you've given it to, to make their displeasure known.

No, it's not a cop out.

Your analogy is flawed.

It's like looking in the mirror in the morning and complaining your face should have been more attractive whilst frowning.

This is not your own fault, how?

"Dear? Don't you think the city should paint that god-awful looking fence out front of the house. They really ought to do something!"

"Isn't that our fence?"
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I think it is absolutely ok to point out when something - including freeware - is not good. But of course it is absurd to ask for improvements...

Devs should make all products totally skinable.

There are really good free progs for making skins/knobs/images

Everyones a winner.

aciddose wrote:No, it's not a cop out.

Your analogy is flawed.

It's like looking in the mirror in the morning and complaining your face should have been more attractive whilst frowning.

This is not your own fault, how?

"Dear? Don't you think the city should paint that god-awful looking fence out front of the house. They really ought to do something!"

"Isn't that our fence?"
Wah? It's not my program. It's his. He made it for a purpose, and that's other people using it. Otherwise he wouldn't have released it but would only use it himself.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think it is absolutely ok to point out when something - including freeware - is not good. But of course it is absurd to ask for improvements...
Its not absurd to ask. You might not get the improvements, but if done in a nice manner, its worth asking.

Return to “Instruments”