Kick vs. Big Kick vs. Bazzism ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you already own Kick (SonicAcademy) then I wouldn't bother with BigKick.
Not because its not as good, but just becasue they are so similar. I own both and switch between using the two, its really hard to pick one over the other really. They both do a simple job well I think.

I also own Rob Papen's Punch BD, although I haven't spent enough time with it yet to give a decent opinion on it. The main reason is my other two kick synths are doing a fine job as it is. :)

I'd really like to try Metrum as I've heard excellent things about it, but just can't justify paying that much right now, especially as I'm trying to cut down on compulsively buying every vst that comes along :hihi:

Suloo wrote:would be interesting to know why you did choose KickR over Bazzism, since you state you are obsessed with precision and KickR doesn't have an envelope.

don't wanna say anything bad about KickR seriously, just would like to know how you compensate this.
no envelopes no problems :)
KickR is the first kick synth that convinced me immediately but I do not mean that others are not good :)
regard to the editor snap function is a my personal obsession It regards any synth in general
and about Bazzism nothing to say , it's just a matter of taste and for the rest I do with Curve,Bong and the free Bigroomkixsynth,regarding TR kicks I have a devastated TR 909 as an ornament and a collection of samples that I have never used except tr 707 that I love.
davidguda wrote:The envelope in KickR is in practice a 1-pole lowpass filter and the frequence response could be seen as an impulse response but controlling frequency instead of amplitude. Makes sense? :) "pitch speed" is basicly just cut off setting for that filter. It is probably one of the least complex part of KickR, most time spent there were tweaking values that made sense. After programming synths and stuff for a while everything becomes a filter ;)

About making full drum rack synth, I have thought about it but I'm not sure how I would go about making cymbals and hihats. I don't know a way of synthesizing that to sound good. I have a couple of ideas that as far as I know never have been tested but having an idea and take the time to actually try it out is not the same thing :)

So far KickR is not finished yet, I have more up the sleeve for upcoming versions. A lot of code is already in place for it in 1.2 already but just not shown in the GUI.
thanks for the clarification :)
is nice to know that the surprises are not over for KickR and about a possible drum synth please not abandon the idea :pray:
for the cymbals and hihats an initial solution and nice function it could be a noise generator mixed with the ability to load custom sample. 8)

sorry if I went off topic.

noise generator for hats and cymbals would not quite be good enough. Not on itself at least. But i have some ideas I want to test out though. A semi sampled idea with granular synthesis to build a body-sound for the hats/cymbal and then evelope that etc..
David Guda gudaaudio.com

I wrote the first thing that crossed my mind :oops:

Not an exact replica of the kick in the track but def same style good kick. A good starting point for you.
Sim.Sky wrote:
Taifunk wrote:do you have any reference track , I'm more classic house oriented but if you post an example maybe we can help you,I do not speak English well I prefer to use the universal language of sounds :hihi:
However if you already have the basic tool you add some reverb eq saturation/clipper and above the compressor depending on what you want to achieve.
yeah, sure - didn't think of that :oops: this would be pretty much the sound i'm looking for - right from the beginning of the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzM_rMB8bw
Aloysius wrote:Try Kicklab XL

Analog style kick drum designer. Useful in many styles of electronic music.

http://www.amvst.com/

Google: Free Kick Drum VST
using logic x, so win/vst is not an option unfortunately :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

the Schmitt Trigger Oscillator for hihats
can be very convincing and dynamic
takes a bit of optimising not to sound crap
combining that with a granular oscillator or even sampling parts of the Schmitt Trigger...
have to think about that ;)

dave

bazzism, its the cleanest from all.

metrum sucks because dongle powered.

davidguda wrote:Not an exact replica of the kick in the track but def same style good kick. A good starting point for you.
Sim.Sky wrote:
Taifunk wrote:do you have any reference track , I'm more classic house oriented but if you post an example maybe we can help you,I do not speak English well I prefer to use the universal language of sounds :hihi:
However if you already have the basic tool you add some reverb eq saturation/clipper and above the compressor depending on what you want to achieve.
yeah, sure - didn't think of that :oops: this would be pretty much the sound i'm looking for - right from the beginning of the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzM_rMB8bw
Aloysius wrote:Try Kicklab XL

Analog style kick drum designer. Useful in many styles of electronic music.

http://www.amvst.com/

Google: Free Kick Drum VST
using logic x, so win/vst is not an option unfortunately :?
many thanks for your help david, you're awesome :tu:

I use an Oatmeal Box.

Are you using the JUCE framework? If yes, would it be possible to make the interface re-sizable?

what i don't understand is why dev. don't put a phase offset slider for the sine part, it's so important for layering, only big kick have it....and a lot of synth...,
i like to make kicks with spire , zebra2 or omnisphere for exemple

The "click" knob in KickR is a phase offset knob. click at 0 starts the sine at, the click at full makes it half way to a co-sine.
Don't really know if big kick always has a fade-in time on the sine part or something otherwise shifting phase would make that click as well.
Now shifting phase 180 degrees is always safe from click (same thing as invert a sine).

xx JPRacer xx: you mean me? Yes KickR is made with JUCE framework. I suppose in theory it could be made resizeable and I have thought about it but it is not just flipping a setting on/off, it would require some work and so far it just have not been prioritized.

My next VST will be physical modeling oatmeat box ;)
David Guda gudaaudio.com

When I demoed Metrum I was disappointed only because I didn't have the cash to hand over. I had tons of 909 and 808 kicks as well as anything else I might use for the electronic genre but I knew I would eventually have to buy it and so I did. Took a year or so but I did not regret spending that money. You can always get it later down the road and you'll be glad you did.

kokotte wrote:what i don't understand is why dev. don't put a phase offset slider for the sine part, it's so important for layering, only big kick have it....and a lot of synth...,
i like to make kicks with spire , zebra2 or omnisphere for exemple
what i don't understand is why dev. don't put a phase reset/offset/inverter control for anything that generates a sound
and also a snap to grid function on anything that has an editor and why not a function to insert the correct value and the mouse wheel support :x
I think these functions are useful :)

snap to grid? How many grids do you usually find on synths?
I think quite a few synths have mouse-wheel support. At least if made with JUCE that comes for free I think.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Return to “Instruments”