How many cores do you have in your computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

How many cores do you have in your computer?

1 core (I hope nobody will check this one anymore :D )
4%
2 cores -> 4 threads (core2, i3, i5, i7, various amd...)
15%
4 cores -> 8 threads (probably just i7, xeon, amd...)
49%
6 cores -> 12 threads (probably just i7, xeon, amd...)
16%
8 cores -> 16 threads (probably just xeon, amd)
8%
Even more cores... (probably just xeon)
5%
Neither of the options
4%

Total votes: 111

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Keith99 wrote:No I have an i5 as well and it does not have hyper threading - makes it tricky to know which of your choices to vote for as it is 4 cores but ot 8 hyper threads
That's me, too.

I guess the "i5 crowd" should have been represented in the choices, if you want a relatively accurate of who uses what. ;)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

MeldaProduction wrote:
pljones wrote:8 cores, 8 threads -> AMD 8 core with no hyperthreading.
Aaaha, interesting, then I'd say vote for "4 core -> 8 threads"
Might have been easier to have a "cores" section and a "hyperthreading" yes/no extra... though I don't know if the voting would allow that in a single vote, which it would need to be...

camsr: Just checking, I of course have my reasons :), you know me, thinking several steps ahead :D.

nocturnal909: Yeah, hyperthreading actually isn't ideal for audio processing, because technically the processors (at least the worse ones) don't have enough actual computational units, so despite they have 2 threads per core, the threads are waiting for each other. But also Logic isn't exactly ideal when it comes to multitasking (but not bad either).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I voted 'neither options' because of the threads being tied to cores, which I'm not sure about.

I use 4-core Intel's in each of my machines, core 2 quad Q9650 & core 2 quad Q9300).

4core/4threads, Lynnfield i5 750. Still rocks after so many years....
...I had to vote "none of the above" though....

i7-5820k, love it.

4 Cores, 8 Threads (Intel i7-4790S, good speed @ good power consumption)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”