KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC11 June 2015 - winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3ee wrote:Hey Davias,

-was referring to the clap volume.
-pretty much the whole "verse" bass (not the break drone nor the kick hit)
-main part, after break yes
Thank you ! Will work on that ASAP :)

I don't think I will have a chance to do a second round until the new dead line. I'm bogged down with work. Wasn't really counting on a second round either. Is this usually the case? A second round of mixing?

Anyhow, just letting you know in advance. If I happen to get an hour or so free in the studio today then I'll try to do some fixes of the issues that were highlighted.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:I don't think I will have a chance to do a second round until the new dead line. I'm bogged down with work. Wasn't really counting on a second round either. Is this usually the case? A second round of mixing?
Sorry to hear that...
As far as the 2nd round comment/questions.... I guess you're just annoyed you don't have some free time to do the mix revision.... when working with new clients, almost always they will ask for -at least- a 2nd mix revision, it's very hard to get it right the 1st time when you're not used what they really want...

Here is my revised mix:
mp3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyamljcq2k0d4 ... v.mp3?dl=0

wave:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lenikc2a9gtws ... v.wav?dl=0

Most changes were subtle to keep the mix intact.
The claps are a bit less filtered now and I reduced the volume of the fills.
I reduced the highs on the wood percs with a high shelf to push them back in the mix and slightly boosted the mids on the hihats.
The sturdy synth is now higher in volume and the bass has less stereo width in the lower mids and a bit less lower mids in general.

3ee wrote:
bmanic wrote:I don't think I will have a chance to do a second round until the new dead line. I'm bogged down with work. Wasn't really counting on a second round either. Is this usually the case? A second round of mixing?
Sorry to hear that...
As far as the 2nd round comment/questions.... I guess you're just annoyed you don't have some free time to do the mix revision.... when working with new clients, almost always they will ask for -at least- a 2nd mix revision, it's very hard to get it right the 1st time when you're not used what they really want...
I've mixed way more than 100 tracks for various clients "in the real world" so of course I know there are always tons of mixes. I was more referring to the KvR mix challenge. Earlier last month before I even submitted the mix I asked if I could revise my mix later and post a temporary WIP mix but was told that only one mix was to be submitted. Hence my surprise that there now is a 2nd round.

.. and yeah, I am annoyed that I am at work constantly and have no time to enjoy summer vacation nor doing extra KvR challenges. :)

Not only am I here to remind the remaining mix participants to get their submission in for Round 2 (you have a bit over 15 hours left), but also clear some confusion for bmanic.

Actually, the "2nd round system" is part of the KVR Mix Challenge since MC04. We had a lot of outbursts that a hidden voting system is not working out, so we experimented with a more "real life" oriented system: a client evaluation system.

As part of this, we also had to set a couple of rules. One being: only one submission (with enough time to think about it, we even made that a mandatory thing with "don't post within the first 24 hours"), then the client listens to all the tracks. If he/she's happy and doesn't want changes, then the challenge ends. If the client feels that something needs a fix (he/she is a virtual client after all), he/she gives feedback, then declares roughtly 6 participants and then starts Mix Round 2.

This is all declared in the rules/guidelines thread. You can even see how many challenge went by this route with this particular post. And since MC04, we had one challenge that did not go into Mix Round 2, and another one (MC09) that sadly got somewhat abandoned (still working on it - I'm doing a one-man-army job currently).

So in defense of the challenge, this has been going on since September last year, and the rules are constantly mentioned in the first two posts.

Regarding time constraints:
Trust me, I can more than relate - I have a couple of MC's started on my HDD, but could never finish myself due to reasons beyond my control. If you have 1-2 hours left over... maybe try to get your track in anyway.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Here is my mix for Round 2:

Mp3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ocw ... 2.mp3?dl=0

Wave: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/cmp ... 2.wav?dl=0

Revision done according to instructions.

Thanks 3ee and KVR

Compyfox wrote:Not only am I here to remind the remaining mix participants to get their submission in for Round 2 (you have a bit over 15 hours left), but also clear some confusion for bmanic.

Actually, the "2nd round system" is part of the KVR Mix Challenge since MC04. We had a lot of outbursts that a hidden voting system is not working out, so we experimented with a more "real life" oriented system: a client evaluation system.

As part of this, we also had to set a couple of rules. One being: only one submission (with enough time to think about it, we even made that a mandatory thing with "don't post within the first 24 hours"), then the client listens to all the tracks. If he/she's happy and doesn't want changes, then the challenge ends. If the client feels that something needs a fix (he/she is a virtual client after all), he/she gives feedback, then declares roughtly 6 participants and then starts Mix Round 2.

This is all declared in the rules/guidelines thread. You can even see how many challenge went by this route with this particular post. And since MC04, we had one challenge that did not go into Mix Round 2, and another one (MC09) that sadly got somewhat abandoned (still working on it - I'm doing a one-man-army job currently).

So in defense of the challenge, this has been going on since September last year, and the rules are constantly mentioned in the first two posts.

Regarding time constraints:
Trust me, I can more than relate - I have a couple of MC's started on my HDD, but could never finish myself due to reasons beyond my control. If you have 1-2 hours left over... maybe try to get your track in anyway.
Ah okay, I did read the rules (many times in fact) but this I didn't grok. Anyways, I wont make it for a 2nd round.. I've just finished up here at work and am pretty damn tired (yet another 13 hour workday sorting out web gremlins and other irrelevant silly stuff) so I'll have to abstain. There's still a bit of nice sunset outside so I'm going home. :)

Argh is it still opened ?? I've read 6 july, not 3 july, will upload asap my (unfinished) rework, hope I make it in time :(

Edit : uploading right now...

Edit 2 : Here is the mp3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5ikdfiza90eo ... 7.mp3?dl=0

FLAC still uploading.

What did I changed ? I unprocessed a bit the clap (indeed it was processed :p ) and lower its volume.

I made a cut in the low-mid range of the bass, as well as a slight boost in the bass region (not sub).

I lowered the fills and the congas volumes.

I eq out a high freq in the woodpercs, drastic cut high high shelf, and adjust the volume

I changed the mid sid eqs for the sturdy synth for a more consistent (and narrower) result, then I expanded the image to have a bigger stereo feel in the main part. I also ran it into a tape to soften the harshness.

I putted a dark and long reverb on the stab, as well as enhancing the attack transients.

Forgot to put a buss console emu on the mix buss again, but too late for change I guess...

Also I didn't normalized the tracks, it is possible they are a bit louder, but the auto normalization of KVR MC should fix that I hope. The mp3 was created from the FLAC 24 bits, I hope the dithering is ok (usually I create it from a 16bit dithered wav file but no time here I guess, damned time zone :p ).

Argh is it still opened ?? I've read 6 july, not 3 july, will upload asap my (unfinished) rework, hope I make it in time :(

Edit : uploading right now...

Edit 2 : Here is the mp3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5ikdfiza90eo ... 7.mp3?dl=0

Edit 3 :
FLAC https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l6qfb8l15dyg ... .flac?dl=0

What did I changed ? I unprocessed a bit the clap (indeed it was processed :p ) and lower its volume.

I made a cut in the low-mid range of the bass, as well as a slight boost in the bass region (not sub).

I lowered the fills and the congas volumes.

I eq out a high freq in the woodpercs, drastic cut high high shelf, and adjust the volume

I changed the mid sid eqs for the sturdy synth for a more consistent (and narrower) result, then I expanded the image to have a bigger stereo feel in the main part. I also ran it into a tape to soften the harshness.

I putted a dark and long reverb on the stab, as well as enhancing the attack transients.

Forgot to put a buss console emu on the mix buss again, but too late for change I guess...

Also I didn't normalized the tracks, it is possible they are a bit louder, but the auto normalization of KVR MC should fix that I hope. The mp3 was created from the FLAC 24 bits, I hope the dithering is ok (usually I create it from a 16bit dithered wav file but no time here I guess, damned time zone :p ).

What I would have done more if I had the time : Adding console bus emu on the master mix buss, putting the mp3 on a usb stick and listen in my car and other places to check if I'm happy with every volume and every EQ, normalizing the tracks to 15 db rms...

Good luck to everyone ! ;)

I'm a little bit late, but I'm here to announce that with this post, that the second mix round of MC11 is officially over.

We're now switching back to evaluation.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Downloaded the round2 mixes, will examine them thoroughly... please give me a few days for that! :)

Never thought picking mixes was so difficult...

Congratulations! :clap:

1st place: Kolyev

The best mix, feels solid without being squashed, not really my favorite overall tone (it's more deep than "full" ) but I find it to be the best mix in this competition. Level of the sturdy synth is still too low but whatever...

2nd place: nineofkings

not as solid (maybe tasty buss compression would help in the future? ) as I wished but all the elements seem well balanced, good overall tone and image too.

3rd place: Davias

Although mix was squashed, seems like there's plenty of good groove'n'stuff happenin' in this mix. If mix would have had more life and stereo image balance it would probably have been placed higher.

All mixes had good and bad sides to them IMO, the trick was to pick in general. Tried as much as possible to pick objectively but in the end subjectivity helped to finally make a decision!

Thank you all and good luck in the next KVR MC! :tu:

Wow ! 1st time I made it into the top 3 ! :D Thanks 3ee.

And bravo to Kolyev and nineofkings.

When you say the mix was squashed, wich parts are you talking about (coz I didn't put a compressor on the mix buss) ? I guess it is the beat but not sure :p About stereo balance, was it too much on left, or right ? Thank you for precision ^^ I try to improve for next MC :)

For the prize I guess I'd like a IK Multimedia T-Racks British Channel if possible ^^

Thank you KVR for this great contest !

Return to “Production Techniques”