StudioWeapon release "UNDERSCORE" for Kontakt 5

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Underscore

VstBuzz rocks :tu:
Love it when such hidden diamonds are brought to the surface at a price anyone can afford.

Hello, I just grabbed it via vstbuzz deal. For the price of €19.90 is a nice one.

I went through all patches, and found some interesting ones, but not more... It lacks in samples/patches originality (it's a matter of taste and I simply say my point of view).
So, it misses that "something" to make it stand out from similar products with it's own personality.

Sorry for my criticism, I was initially only trying to find out the very cool and positive side of this instrument.

I did not get (yet) to know how to build my own layers (with my own samples, if possible) which would probably be the very hot point of the interface.
The videos of _underscore_ in action while building patches are "private" and all the rest are only showing the other (very intuitive) features on the GUI, or it may be that I missed the "hot point" showcased somewhere else (and this would be my fault only).

All my "good luck" whishes to the developer.
Last edited by matteogk on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers Matteo.
Interested to know what others think :phones:

I wrote to the developer to see if we can get a look at the "private" videos.

This looks like a great deal. The video at VSTBuzz is pretty cool anyway. :)

UPDATE: Got a reply from Stuart.

All up to date videos are available at:

https://vimeo.com/studioweapon

The ''Private'' Videos were shot for v1 so they're out of date and not 100% applicable for the current deal, which is for v1.5.
... I'll be doing more of the "Video Blog" stuff this week, and if there's anything you'd like me to cover or any questions you have, please let me know and I'll work it in. I plan also to do a "Live Broadcast" where people can ask me questions directly. I always find that helpful for me as an end-user, because I like to ask a lot of follow-up questions. ;-)

Anyway ... more videos coming. In the meantime, enjoy Underscore!
I've given him the address of this thread so he can provide accurate information directly to the community if he chooses. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Wow - this is a great deal.

Hey guys ... feel free to ask questions here and I'll go over them in a blog video. :tu:

MacQ wrote:Hey guys ... feel free to ask questions here and I'll go over them in a blog video. :tu:
How easy is it to use your own samples?

Using your own samples is very simple. I laid it out simply on purpose: 5 sample groups = 5 layers. That's it. If you know how to load samples into a Kontakt instrument, you're 99% of the way there! I'll be doing a video on exactly this process in a couple of hours. And you'll see just how easy it is. 8)

MacQ wrote:Using your own samples is very simple. I laid it out simply on purpose: 5 sample groups = 5 layers. That's it. If you know how to load samples into a Kontakt instrument, you're 99% of the way there! I'll be doing a video on exactly this process in a couple of hours. And you'll see just how easy it is. 8)
That sounds good. And thanks. 8)

Hans25 wrote:
MacQ wrote:Using your own samples is very simple. I laid it out simply on purpose: 5 sample groups = 5 layers. That's it. If you know how to load samples into a Kontakt instrument, you're 99% of the way there! I'll be doing a video on exactly this process in a couple of hours. And you'll see just how easy it is. 8)
That sounds good. And thanks. 8)
Yes, that would be the start of something! :wink:
Please, MacQ, show us the "how to" of the whole process for the 5 layers, since I don't know how the script behaves (all scripts have "their own" way, I suppose).
I would like to know if each layer can use different looping settings (fwd, bck/fwd, and similar).
I see it is possible to save also arp/modulation settings: is it possible to save them in a "user" folder?

Script has nothing to do with sample looping modes. You can set that individually for each sample you map into the instrument.

On vstbuzz.com a user "Tim (verified owner) – July 2, 2015 writes:
"Underscore load patterns doesn’t work properly under Windows x64 for some reason. No dialog shows up/no file list shows up."

Anybody else with this problem?

EvilDragon wrote:Script has nothing to do with sample looping modes. You can set that individually for each sample you map into the instrument.
Thank you, but... I can simply do it straight away in The Shell (you know better than me that little jewel), but spent half an hour trying to do it in Underscore without success. I understand this is a way more structured script, but... where's the trick? ;-)

I see also that enabling envelopes on the GUI (no matter which of the ADSHR controls I tweak afterward) makes the sample sound at a very low volume.

So, at the end of a long long hour I had to give up, and move to another interface to complete my work... I simply need to get a sound, I'm just a user working in a studio.

Maybe a detailed video could help a lot, to get the right sequence of "things to do" for us mortal beings... ;-)

A quick note for those having trouble loading patterns.

1. Delete the the "Data" folder in the Underscore install folder.
2. Load the "(LOAD THIS PATCH FIRST).NKI" in the install folder (this only needs to be done ONCE).
3. Close that patch and load any other patch you want.

The "(LOAD THIS PATCH FIRST).NKI" initializes the root-path to the patterns folder. If you don't load it first, Kontakt will create the wrong root path and you'll get an all-black loading screen. The v1.5 manual and a new video blog episode are coming today that cover some of these frequently asked questions and demonstrates my actual process in making sounds.

~Stu

From $ 1000 to €20, very interesting marketing practice :) Anyway, for that price it's definitely worth it.
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”