Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
dwozzle wrote:aMUSEd, are you looking in Vstplugins.settings? That's what I know of for v2, assume it still applies ot v3 but I don't know. Thread here has info: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... 306#p20306, says this:

When S1 is closed you can blacklist any plugin directly by opening Vstplugins.settings with a text editor and set the smiley attribute to sad for the plugs you want to blacklist.
here for me: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 2\x64\
<!-- Blacklist VST -->
smiley=":("
<!-- Whitelist VST -->
smiley=";)"
OK thanks - but it looks like VST3 settings are in a different file Plugins-en.settings - and it doesn't have the smiley face thing - I need to add it to VstBlacklist.settings - just not sure what the string would be, if anyone has this with some plugins in it can you check the syntax please?
I checked in my PC and found VstBlackList and Vstplugins files. If you notice they have the same beginning tags, but the Vstplugins file has all the VST plugins listed. Maybe if you copy from the Vstplugins file a whole <section> [vstplugins information]</section> that related to the synth you want to blacklisted and paste it into VstBlackList?
If that doesn't work, then it means there is a special tag for it. Sorry, I didn't try it. It is just an idea.
That doesn't work, I assume it's a simpler list but it can't be just the plugin name because how would that tell it to blacklist the VST3 but not the AU? can someone please open up your blacklist to see how these are listed?

I wonder if they can add the gain reduction metering to third party plugins, it's cool, but a shame that it only works with the stock compressor.

Also always found it irritating that each instance of FabFilter plugins gets numbered. I like to keep everything as uncluttered as possible so seeing FabFilter Pro-Q 2 4 drives me a little crazy.

I like the general direction they're taking the interface but I think it needs a lot of refinement. The mute and solo buttons in the mixer look terrible, and the lack of any gradients often makes it hard to identify what you're looking for. Cubase 8 gets a lot of flak but I think its UI is great. It looks nice (although some will disagree) and everything is easy to identify at a glance. I think part of the problem is the one size fits all approach Presonus took, just giving everyone a touch interface, regardless of whether they use touch devices or not. Hopefully they'll improve this in .x updates.

So after completing a full song in S1 3:

Dislikes:

- The mixer still gets quite messy. Very much so.

- The way multi-channel instruments are handled is quite messy, especially messy when you use things like multichannel articulations (like for a guitar or bass library), with a midi channel for different articulations. In Cubase, Sonar, and REAPER at least, you can set a midi track to "ANY" in the channel section and have one track for everything.

I'm thinking that instrument layering could take care of this but I haven't tried that yet.

- This ESPECIALLY gets **messy** when converting those tracks to audio. This also seem to cause a minor (and fixable) issue with one of my other VSTi's in the project.

- The lack of a bit bridge kind of irks me, but I understand why there's not one.

- I really like that I don't have to manually mute the current take when I decide to record another take after the current take has already been recorded. This was the case in v2 as well. In Sonar and Cubase, I have to manually mute the current take, which I sometimes forget to do.

- I ESPECIALLY liked the extended VST chainer. This made using mono plugins on stereo tracks a dream.

- I really like the idea of the scratch pad. If I decide to upgrade, I can see myself using this a lot.

- The entire freeze system is kind of weird, and feels off to me compared to how Sonar and Cubase handle this.

- The midi functions are great, but Cubase is still the king (or queen or whatever) in this department.

I have some reasons to upgrade use it as a second daw (don't ask lol). I absolutely love Cubase for my midi work (and just about everything else), but S1 is packin' some neat features like the scratch pad and extended vst chainer. The multichannel midi thing kind of turns me off in a major way. While I like Sonar's mixer, but the fact that it's not all that MIDI friendly kind of turns me off.

Donationware: Download 1.0.1.3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWE1n6nm1D8
[1.0.1.3 added color toolbar w/ mouse wheel track navigation]

Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Lawrence you rule!ImageImage
resistance is futile. Check my latest mix: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=532758

billcarroll wrote:
Studio One Free has been re-named Studio One Prime, and will be available in June.
http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/2015 ... -here-faq/
Last date of June, and still Studio One Prime isn't available yet ? :(

the prime version is the demo version when you have finished the trial time.

Prime may be available now with the 3.0.1 update released today, not sure. Download 3.0.1 and try to switch it to Prime in the activation screen.

hivkorn wrote:the prime version is the demo version when you have finished the trial time.
It is not!

Not in my case anyway. The demo just did not work anymore, did not convert to limited free version. Was your own experience different?
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

It is.

Like I suggested earlier, it probably didn't do it for you with v3 because Prime (the v3 free version) maybe hadn't been released for use yet. But version 2 does the same thing, reverts to "Free" when the demo expires. v3 should do the same whenever they make the free version active.

No idea why it wasn't active when v3 released but it might be now, no clue. But no, it can't revert to a version that they haven't turned loose yet.

I remember v2 doing it. But definitely v3 did not. Not a big deal, I don't really need Prime anyway, I've already decided I like v3. :)
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Yeah. It probably didn't because (as far as the public is concerned anyway) Prime doesn't / didn't exist yet. It was supposed to be available in June so maybe it's availble now with 3.0.1.

If so, if you own Aritst or Pro, you can cycle in and out of it (free / prime) directly via the activation screen. For someone booting with an expired demo license that would be the only activation choice, Prime / Free, other than buying it that is.

Studio One has been updated to 3.0.1.
Studio One 3 – Version History and Release Notes
Version 3.0.1 Release Notes (Jun 30, 2015):

This document lists all Studio One 3 maintenance updates and their included fixes and improvements.

New features and improvements:

• Italian localization added
• Updated reference manual with improved layout and navigation
• New teaser Sound Set “Prime Selection Loops and Sounds” for all versions
• USB installation support for optional USB thumb drive

• Multi-touch support for 3rd party plug-ins
• Multi-touch support for context menus
• Multi-touch vertical zooming improvements
• Improved multi-touch performance
• Change: TUIO support now disabled by default
• Improved visibility of selected events
• Improved toolbar button alignment (optimized for smaller screens)
• Improved automation curve handling
• Support for Studio One Remote and PreSonus CS18ai moving fader controller
(UCNET remote)

The following issues have been fixed:

• Mixer fader size changes when adding tracks
• Fader height jumps when double-clicking main output channel in mix console
• Mix console fader size not saved in expanded view
• Mix console output tabs not keeping size when showing/hiding

• [OSX, Windows 8.1] Crash on quit
• [OS X] Magic Trackpad issues when zooming
• Studio One 3 professional not opening (stuck on startup)

• [Mai Tai] Recurring audio engine lock-up when auditioning presets
• [Presence XT] Disk streaming lost in certain conditions
• [Presence XT] Presets not showing after Sound Set installation
• [Multi Instrument] Missing files dialog not opening
• [Multi Instrument] plug-in delay compensation and sync problems
• [Multi Instrument] Crash on using mouse wheel on Macro Control knob

• [Browser] Search sometimes omits characters
• [Browser] Double-click in search result doesn’t start preview playback

• [Project Page] no track selected when opening project
• Deselecting songs on Project Page disables zoom options
• Crash with CD burning engine
• [Multi Touch] Double-tapping screen in Music Editor can create ghost notes

• Ampire XT sometimes crashes when switching between mono and stereo
• Crash with Waves side-chain plug-in and Splitter in Extended FX Chains
• Redraw issues with Waves plug-ins
• Windows HiDPI issues with Fab Filter Pro-Q2
• Text input not working with Native Instruments VST2 plug-in
• Several plug-in UI label issues
• Bitcrusher missing in Studio One 3 Artist
• Compressor auto-speed option causes audio distortion
• Side-chain compression lost when rendering Instrument Tracks

• “Replace FX Chain” dialog not updated after replacing preset
• Extended FX Chains can cause unwanted phasing
• Tape-style monitoring not working properly with zero latency monitoring
• Reference manual viewer not restored properly when minimized

• Arranger Track not copying time signature
• Editing automation curves sometimes jumpy
• Automation not following when dragging event to Scratch Pad
• Automation points and lines sometimes disappearing randomly

• Macro Toolbar icons size reduced when opening
• Tooltip tracking broken in song I/O setup matrix
• Activation “Refresh” button not working with touch screen
• Sending timecode with active Scratch Pad causes application to freeze
• élastique PRO Solo mode causes track bounce to stall
• Wrong focus track in editor
• Certain MIDI files truncated on import
Source: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... a8806157fc

All of the bugs that I have encountered have been fixed :tu:

What about MIDI recording intermittently starting 2 bars late and/or getting truncated? I thought that was a well known bug :?

I just installed the new update and I have been testing it for a few hours. So far it doesn't fix any bugs for me. V3 is nothing but a buggy mess on my computer. I like Studio one for everything else except for two things: High CPU usage and huge instability problems.

I am sorry to say this but that midi thing is not fixed. For me it doesn't record midi notes for the first beat at all.
It usually don't even play the first midi note if I have put it there in piano roll.

When I try to export a large amount of drum files through drag and drop S1 will Crash. Only way to get around this is to split that work into parts, but it takes more time and energy (which I really don't have).

Many plugins have weird behavior, some of them suddenly stop working and some of them might sound be different after rendering.
S1 crashes a lot even if I don't use any third party plugins. I've had so many problems with this thing that I can't even possibly remember them all.

Sometimes when I try to bounce events that are quantized with audiobend, nothing happens. The meter just stays frozen no matter how long I wait, and I am talking about very short loops. Sometimes when it bounches the quantize audio, the result might be different than it was before (eg NOT entirely quantized).

Sometimes I have to restart S1 because the sound will stop when I work on a project. Nothing else will help except restarting S1. On a few occasions I also had to restart my USB audio interface (RME UCX) which is working perfectly on Reaper. Sometimes when I work on S1 it will change settings on RME totalmix software - like pan the master channel to fully right or left (I have all midi control disabled from RME totalmix.) How is it possible that S1 adjust RME totalmix by itself?

It's quite often that S1 crashes on exit (even after the update). No, the update didn't fix this problem.
Sometimes it forgets that I have set the process precision to 64-bit and it switches it back to 32-bit.

One of the first bugs was when I saved a project multiple times and when I reopened it, I realized it was not saved.
So I did the same work again and again, each time I found out the same thing: project was not saved, even though S1 told it was (save text was greyed out from the file menu after I press ctrl+s or saved it from the menu) I wasted so much time with this and some creative work was lost permanently.

Even though I was initially very excited about the V3, I have to be honest and say that the S1 bugs are starting to really get into my nerves. Studio one has crashed more on my pc in one week than what Reaper has crashed in 8 years.

S1v3 is the buggiest piece of audio software I have ever used. I really should have waited longer before I bought the update. Well, my friend tried to warn me but I didn't listen. Oh how I wish that I had stayed with V2. I can't trust this new version even for my humble home studio projects.

I hope that we see more bugfixes from presonus... and make it fast!
If not, maybe I will try Bitwig next?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”