Do I need Komplete?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, as the title says do I need Komplete? I'll start by saying that I have U-he's Hive and Bazille, and I am planning on buying Zebra and Serum. I have Komplete 8, but I was wondering if I should sell it. I mean there's is Kontakt Player, which I could use for libraries. Komplete Ultimate could have been and option, but it seems like it is more for film scoring (Effects and stuff), unlike ProjectSAM's stuff like the Symphobia series. I mean, I probably wouldn't get too much money for it, but I feel like I don't need it at all, and can use it on something else.
What do you think?

Do YOU think you need Komplete?

It sounds like not since you consider selling it. I think you have answered your own question by what you say in closing "I don't need it at all".

I think if you used it you will likely get more from it than by selling it for little return.

Komplete does have a lot to offer. But does it compliment your music style?

In the end, it's all in what YOU need and want.

Good luck with your decision :tu:

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Yeah, I kind of did already answear it. xD
Well anyways, thank for the reply!

No. You don't need Komplete. At all. Frankly, if you don't have a good DAW, audio interface, studio monitors, at least one good mic (if you do recording), and a good set of headphones, Komplete is a waste of money.
Check out my YouTube channel for vocal effects tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/Shaloxeroligon1

Yes. You need to "Komplete" your tracks...

Komplete not necessary. But it is a nice little (big) inspiration bundle. One can find "other" ways to become... inspired... should one wish. Mwa ha ha ha and so on.

Since we're in the beginner's section, no you def. do not need Komplete. In fact I would say nobody should get such a huge bundle of software until they have learned the stuff that came with their DAW.

Yesterday I get some "spam" about 50% offer for crossgrading Kontakt to Komplette. I've read about the features included. Tons of virtual instruments, mostly the rehash of some more virtual instruments, for a cheap price. But what shall I do with tons of virtual instruments: Every single instruments spends a lifetime for exploring the features, so I decided that Komplette is an overkill for me. And I'm not a beginner. But I want to make music and not only explore hundreds of thousand presets.

A good song only need a piano and a voice.
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

I believe the advantage of Komplete is that it gives you a lot of bang for your buck, the included software when bought separately costs much more than the price of the Komplete bundle. I had Komplete 10 and did the crossgrade to Ultimate for half price recently, simply because I wanted a couple of the bass guitars and the Alicia Keys piano, those instruments alone cost more than the crossgrade price.

crowdx44 wrote:I believe the advantage of Komplete is that it gives you a lot of bang for your buck, the included software when bought separately costs much more than the price of the Komplete bundle. I had Komplete 10 and did the crossgrade to Ultimate for half price recently, simply because I wanted a couple of the bass guitars and the Alicia Keys piano, those instruments alone cost more than the crossgrade price.
But their biggest disadvantage is that they distract beginner producers from the important stuff (i.e. learning how to use a compressor), because they think that they can get better results "if they only had the right gear."
Check out my YouTube channel for vocal effects tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/Shaloxeroligon1

Kimuchuu wrote:I mean there's is Kontakt Player, which I could use for libraries.
The majority of libraries require the full version of Kontakt. Any library which isn't compatible with Kontakt Player will only be playable in Kontakt Player for 15 minutes.

Komplete isn't for everyone. And it sounds to me like you've already made up your mind anyway.
Opax

Even considering the OP is a beginner, let's think for a moment in what Komplete has:
It has Reaktor, IMO one of the best ways to learn what synthesis is and what is a synth from inside out.
It has Kontakt, which is now the "de facto" standard in what concerns sampling.
It has Absynth, a synth in a category of it's own, and not easily replaceable (if at all).
It has FM8, certainly one of the best FM synths available (although you have alternatives in this field)
It has Massive, a very capable and versatile synth, although, for some reason, it never really did much for me.
It has very good soft synths based in Reaktor, which, if we take the time to check, can teach us a lot too
It has a quite good sampling library (although, for some reason, I see sometimes people dislinking it - anyway, it's KVR :roll: )

So, the OP will let Komplete go for a couple of bucks (selling second had means quite a loss) to earn what? Buying Zebra and Serum? Do you think THESE are advisable for a beginner? Better stay with Reaktor for modularity, IMO, and Massive can introduce him to wavetable scanning (not that I think Zebra and Serum are worthless, they are among the best in their respective categories, but both are very complex and full featured synths)

That said, I agree he needs a good DAW to work with, maybe Reaper can be an option, since it's so cheap, although I would probably go for something else like Cubase Elements, just because of the upgrade path.
Fernando (FMR)

Hey

i'm not trying to hijack this thread but as i'm currently in a similar position i thought why not post here.
I'm not a complete music beginner as i worked with Reaper (which i know quite well, including the plugins that came with it) for about a year now with only freeware plugins. Now i recently started a project where i want to make a live-performance looping and effects setup with a few loopers, effects, synths, etc. Now while looking for effects and especially multi-fx i always stumble over Komplete sooner or later and i have to say the effects sound amazing compared to my freeware ones. Also there are some really nice multi-fx ones that would make my setup much easier and i couldn't find anything comparable in the freeware market.
So I looked more into Komplete and as i play the guitar and piano (well e-piano/formerly keyboard but then transitioned to e-piano) guitar rig and also the nice sounding piano sampler look really quite interesting to me.

As i would still count me to a beginner and still have to learn a lot about synthesis, mixing, mastering etc. i am not sure if Komplete wouldn't be overkill. The problem also being that while you could say most synthesis courses/tutorials/... can be done with any synth, i'm always having huge problems following them with my freeware synths loaded up. On the other hand after a quick search i found massive amounts of tutorials for the included synths like e.g. Massive (pun intended).

Also i started kinda hating the search for specific freeware plugins (like e.g. a good stutter/glitch effect recently) when you need something new so it would be nice having a complete package.

So what whould you say: Do I need Komplete? Would it be overkill or would i get a a nice "complete" package of plugins for a relatively low price?

Also not meaning to hijack the thread, but how do you like Reaper?

Lump wrote:Yesterday I get some "spam" about 50% offer for crossgrading Kontakt to Komplette. I've read about the features included. Tons of virtual instruments, mostly the rehash of some more virtual instruments, for a cheap price. But what shall I do with tons of virtual instruments: Every single instruments spends a lifetime for exploring the features, so I decided that Komplette is an overkill for me. And I'm not a beginner. But I want to make music and not only explore hundreds of thousand presets.

A good song only need a piano and a voice.
For a beginner choosing what's right for him from the Komplete list can be difficult. But for someone who
dealt with NI stuff for years and knows their products and also his working needs this can't be an overkill. With their Summer Sale I was able to get Komplete for a very cheap price but I only installed less than a third of its 39 products. Yet the amount of money I would spend getting these installed plugs/sounds separately far exceeds the price I paid for the Komplete bundle.

Total no-brainer.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”