Live 9.2 is out now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

aMUSEd wrote:
Aloysius wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I don't remember installing Java but Max is running? How can I tell if it's on my system or uptodate?
http://www.java.com/en/download/

LINK: Do I have Java?
Thanks but the Java detection app won't run - says it's missing a plugin (Java) lol

Ironically perhaps that confirms I don't have it?
It rather confirms that you don't have the browser Java plugin, which is optional to install when you install Java. You can check in the Add/remove programs list in the system preferences under Windowsif you have it installed. Should read something like "Java 8 Update 45". I don't know how you can check on a Mac.

Nothing like that on Mac - also if it needs Java 6 I presume Java 8 won't do anyway?

aMUSEd wrote:...

Thanks but the Java detection app won't run - says it's missing a plugin (Java) lol..
:lol: Sorry about that. At least we got a laugh out of it.

chk071 (above ^) seems to have the right info'.

BTW If you use fireFox, I think Java is turned off by default (for security reasons).
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

aMUSEd wrote:Nothing like that on Mac - also if it needs Java 6 I presume Java 8 won't do anyway?
It's usually backwards compatible. I figure it says Java 6 because at the date of release that was the current version, and it should rather read like "at least version 6".

Btw, you can see how you can check if you have Java installed here: https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/ja ... l#havejava

chk071 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Nothing like that on Mac - also if it needs Java 6 I presume Java 8 won't do anyway?
It's usually backwards compatible. I figure it says Java 6 because at the date of release that was the current version, and it should rather read like "at least version 6".

Btw, you can see how you can check if you have Java installed here: https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/ja ... l#havejava
Thanks - yeah I found that but this says:
If you have Java 7 or later versions, you will see a Java icon under System Preferences.
Java versions 6 and below are listed in the Java Preferences.app located in the Applications > Utilities folder on your Mac.
I have neither of those things but Max is still running. Maybe Max 7 no longer requires it?

Here is something i found when i googled: https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/java ... ax-4-live/
MFL, aka Max, has support for externals written in Java via the mxj and mxj~ objects.

Java is not used for anything critical in the running of MFL. It is not used in MFL at all unless a device contains a Java external. So you may be fine without it.

Cheers

-Andrew

PDC fix is a big deal
can't wait to try it hard :tu:

apologies if this has been covered already,
but there's something I don't quite fully understand about the update notes...where it says Max 7 is now included.

What does this mean ? That standard Live 9 now includes Max For Live ? ...or that Max For Live owners now also get to run the stand-alone Max 7 app through their Max for Live license ? .... or that Max For Live was previously based on Max 6, but is now based on Max 7 ?

The latter. Your previous M4L (Max V6) has been updated to M4L (Max V7). It's the same as before, but with a different version number.

Daags wrote:apologies if this has been covered already,
but there's something I don't quite fully understand about the update notes...where it says Max 7 is now included.

What does this mean ? That standard Live 9 now includes Max For Live ? ...or that Max For Live owners now also get to run the stand-alone Max 7 app through their Max for Live license ? .... or that Max For Live was previously based on Max 6, but is now based on Max 7 ?
This was posted by somebody from Ableton on their forum:

"As soon as a Max version is officially supported by Live, you don't need to own a full Max license to use it as your M4L editor.

When Max 6 came out, Live was still v8. M4L users who didn't own a full Max license had to stick to Max5, but the ones who also had a full Max6 license were already able to use it as their M4L editor.
Live 9 came out and with official Max 6 compatibly for every M4L users; and now Live 9.2 does the same for Max 7."

chk071 wrote:Here is something i found when i googled: https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/java ... ax-4-live/
MFL, aka Max, has support for externals written in Java via the mxj and mxj~ objects.

Java is not used for anything critical in the running of MFL. It is not used in MFL at all unless a device contains a Java external. So you may be fine without it.

Cheers

-Andrew
OK thanks - they must have taken out the warning then too

BDeep wrote:The latter. Your previous M4L (Max V6) has been updated to M4L (Max V7). It's the same as before, but with a different version number.
----
lnikj wrote:
Daags wrote:apologies if this has been covered already,

This was posted by somebody from Ableton on their forum:

"As soon as a Max version is officially supported by Live, you don't need to own a full Max license to use it as your M4L editor.

When Max 6 came out, Live was still v8. M4L users who didn't own a full Max license had to stick to Max5, but the ones who also had a full Max6 license were already able to use it as their M4L editor.
Live 9 came out and with official Max 6 compatibly for every M4L users; and now Live 9.2 does the same for Max 7."

Gotcha.
Thank you both for the clarification.

Dead0k wrote:PDC fix is a big deal
can't wait to try it hard :tu:
Got to try it last night. Was really good.

aMUSEd wrote:
No I think it's just because Max 7 has a different path, so people need to manually point to the new path, I had to do that too (on Mac). Everything working fine otherwise.
thanks aMUSEd, I had already done that but I think what the issue is, is that there are links in the Help View window that I was attempting to load devices from that are pointing to folders that are no longer there.

This error messages shows its looking for something in Instruments/Max Instrument/... and that folder no longer exists in 9.2.

"Failed to resolve the link to BrowseLibraryPresets:/Instruments/Max Instrument/Classic Synths by Katsuhiro Chiba"
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 7.26.50 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double post
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”