Synth appearance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, Reaktor is not a synth. :clown:

This topic should really be had at Pete and Bernie's philosophical steakhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTlDaiaXAs
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I'm actually so pro and free from bias that I run all plug in synths with Live's generic interface instead of the synths' GUIs.

That's just nasty. GUIs exist for a reason.

And yet there are so many un-reasonable GUIs.

2ZrgE wrote:And yet there are so many un-reasonable GUIs.
Such as? Just out of curiosity...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
The list is actually very long, but mostly for free synths. I have found, with the exceptions I posted earlier, that most paid for synths have competent GUIs. They're not all great. But they're usable, functional, not a total eye soar, etc.

Funny that a few understand aciddose, I found what he sates pretty clear, logical and supported, and some get offended. LOL.

I didn't know it was that hard to accept such simple facts about our perception bias, something that is quite stablished not only in marketing but also in other fields.
dedication to flying

wagtunes wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
The list is actually very long, but mostly for free synths. I have found, with the exceptions I posted earlier, that most paid for synths have competent GUIs. They're not all great. But they're usable, functional, not a total eye soar, etc.
Yeah, I'd agree... Most free stuff tends to be pretty poor. Generally, what puts me of free stuff is the quality or a GUI with poor functionality. And I usually have a better third party product as well. I'm sure there are some exceptions out there tho'.

rod_zero wrote:I didn't know it was that hard to accept such simple facts about our perception bias, something that is quite stablished not only in marketing but also in other fields.
I'll have to stop you there... We all understand cognitive bias. No one (well I'm not) is disputing that fact per se'.

But please note, I'm talking about a 'subset' of consumers. IE - People who buy musical plugins. I still maintain that the 'majority' will buy on sound quality and elegance (not to be mistaken with pure aesthetics here) over a 'pretty' GUI where the plugin sounds crap or not very good.

OP has not shown me anything tangible in 'this specific' context except his own personal experience. Which is unverifiable... As my experience is to him.

If there's tangible evidence to prove me wrong 'in this particular context' I'll happy to accept it, no problem...

Robmobius wrote:
Some are already mentioned: Arturia, Sytrus, Helix for a start.

2ZrgE wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Some are already mentioned: Arturia, Sytrus, Helix for a start.
I like Helix as a synth, but I'd agree, it's tough going. I've never used Sytrus - it's FL? Not to keen on many of the Arturia stuff sound and looks. But I like the SEM V. Good sound (not as good as the HW) and easy GUI.

I'm not so mad on the Brainworx stuff. Sound wise they are class. But I find the GUIs cluttered as hell. But I use them all the same, because they are so damn good. :)

Robmobius wrote:

the list is endless...and then you have all the free stuff, but you get what you pay for...

Thanks for posting those headache-generating synth GUIs above.

I came up with what I call the "20 Knob Rule" a couple of years ago. Now, I'm not fascist about it, so it doesn't exactly mean, 'synth must have 20 knobs or less', but it truly is along those lines.

Devs and others have lost sight about what is functional, helpful, inspiring and practical when they go off the deep end with such silly, control-&-knob-over-populated monstrosities.

It got real stupid on guitars back in the late '70s: I recall chaps with those custom guitars that suddenly came with more than a dozen knobs and switches -- they spent all their times adjusting and flipping switches, just to try for one or two decent sounds ... and it really detracted ... even ruined at times their 'cool solo'.

Musicians: some of you are forgetting what it's really all about. Don't let the shiny things, false promises of complexity and related BS fool you like this!

All the GUIs above look "reasonable" to me though, which demonstrates the subjective nature of this issue.

The only thing we can be certain of is the fact that these GUIs will influence whether or not we would be interested in the plugin, and very likely influence our perception of the sound/functionality of the plugins.

I'd be the very first to deny this applies to me, but I know that isn't true. No matter how hard I try my behavior and perception is influenced by the aesthetics!

Of course my definition of "reasonable" may differ from yours. Looking at a glance I can see feature-wise and usability wise these are all a nightmare.

Meanwhile, I find Xhip's current GUI quite satisfying although not entirely my preference.

The older GUI I found entirely my preference although imperfect of course, while many if not most users found it absolutely horrific!

So "reasonable" from my perspective I'd rather interpret as being relative to the success and popularity of the plugin in general with its target market. The plugins with the GUIs in the above post may seem horrific to some of us, but it is without a doubt that the authors intended to satisfy their target demographic.

I quite like syn'x, although I'd change a few things the basic layout is spot on. The features/synth however don't look appealing to me.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Instruments”