Live 9.2 is out now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

Appears some Max folders no longer show up in Live's browser so Live can't find the devices.

Installed ive 9.2 and MAx 4 Live 7 yesterday. There indeed seemed to be a problem with Max.

The file path at Live 9.2 was still set to the folder for Max 6.1. In the Live preferences I manually changed the path to the folder for Max 7 and then it worked.

Maybe this was due to using the Live 9.2 installer in update mode and not installing it new from scratch.

FWIW my OS is Windows 7 64-bit (will maybe do the free Windows 10 upgrade when available...).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Installed ive 9.2 and MAx 4 Live 7 yesterday. There indeed seemed to be a problem with Max.

The file path at Live 9.2 was still set to the folder for Max 6.1. In the Live preferences I manually changed the path to the folder for Max 7 and then it worked.

Maybe this was due to using the Live 9.2 installer in update mode and not installing it new from scratch.

FWIW my OS is Windows 7 64-bit (will maybe do the free Windows 10 upgrade when available...).
No I think it's just because Max 7 has a different path, so people need to manually point to the new path, I had to do that too (on Mac). Everything working fine otherwise.

Igor Amos wrote:thanks thecontrolcentre,

I followed the fresh install instructions from the link you sent, removed everything max, restarted my computer, copied Max 7 that I downloaded from my Ableton account (Max 7.04) to Applications (Mac OSX), started Live, changed path to Max 7 app and I still get this error:

"Failed to resolve the link to BrowseLibraryPresets:/Instruments/Max Instrument/...."
I can't help but think you still haven't pointed it to the right path, I tested the classic synths, granulator and several others and no paths or folders have been removed, they all work provided Live knows where Max 7 is.

Why Cycling74 won't just bundle java runtime engine with the product (which is totally possible, not terribly hard to do and will actually solve many of their problems). Why oh why do they force Mac users to install a bag of shit that never worked well, was always full of security holes and because of that is not even maintained anymore for years already. They force Mac users to install software that actually puts them at very serious risk (it's different on Windows). This is insane.

I own Suite, but I will not install Max and I would recommend those that care about security to do the same.

hyperscientist wrote:Why Cycling74 won't just bundle java runtime engine with the product (which is totally possible, not terribly hard to do and will actually solve many of their problems). Why oh why do they force Mac users to install a bag of shit that never worked well, was always full of security holes and because of that is not even maintained anymore for years already. They force Mac users to install software that actually puts them at very serious risk (it's different on Windows). This is insane.

I own Suite, but I will not install Max and I would recommend those that care about security to do the same.
Can you explain a bit more?

[I'm not being facetious! Max 7.0.4 is crashing Live for me on 10.8.5 and I wonder if Java has anything to with it.]

I don't remember installing Java but Max is running? How can I tell if it's on my system or uptodate?

lnikj wrote:
hyperscientist wrote:Why Cycling74 won't just bundle java runtime engine with the product (which is totally possible, not terribly hard to do and will actually solve many of their problems). Why oh why do they force Mac users to install a bag of shit that never worked well, was always full of security holes and because of that is not even maintained anymore for years already. They force Mac users to install software that actually puts them at very serious risk (it's different on Windows). This is insane.

Can you explain a bit more?[/quote]

Its a paranoid, ill-informed conflation of silly.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

aMUSEd wrote:I don't remember installing Java but Max is running? How can I tell if it's on my system or uptodate?
http://www.java.com/en/download/

LINK: Do I have Java?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

whyterabbyt wrote: Its a paranoid, ill-informed conflation of silly.
My favourite phrase for the day :hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Aloysius wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I don't remember installing Java but Max is running? How can I tell if it's on my system or uptodate?
http://www.java.com/en/download/

LINK: Do I have Java?
Thanks but the Java detection app won't run - says it's missing a plugin (Java) lol

Ironically perhaps that confirms I don't have it?

Should I (Max seems to be running without it)?

Having now done a bit of research, I understand that Max requires the Java 6 runtime, which is on your system on OS X 10.8 or less. On 10.9 or 10.10 it needs to be separately installed. It can coexist alongside the current version - 8.45.

If you don't have it installed then Max will ask for it, so if Max doesn't do that, and runs, then you have it.

That's just it, Max does run and isn't asking for it, but I don't have any other signs of having Java on my system - no java prefs folder in Utilities for example, or Java panel in prefs, plus the aforementioned Java plugin is absent.

Also weird is that Max standalone doesn't say it's running in demo mode or anything (I thought it was iLok protected?) - and it seems to be running as a 32 bit app but I def downloaded the 64 bit version and only have 64 bit Live on my system anyway (and M4L is running fine in that). Is it still just 32 bit in standalone?

That's what it did on install for me. Command-I and you will see the 'Run as 32' is ticked, which you can untick for 64.

All seems a bit half-assed by Ableton to me.

aMUSEd wrote:Also weird is that Max standalone doesn't say it's running in demo mode or anything (I thought it was iLok protected?)
Its not iLok any more, its tied to a user account. .

https://cycling74.com/support/faq_authorization/
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”