Magix Samplitude - Just jumped ship from Cubase 8

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Samplitude Pro X

8) Anyone else using Samplitude?

I trialled it a few years back at v8.0 - liked it but had a few things that kept me away.

Recent sos review spurred me to give the latest pro X2 a go.

I've been trialling it extensively for around 60 days via the pro x2 standard and suite trials.

So pleased was I with how it worked for me that i pulled the trigger on Wednesday and Cubase now up for sale.

Plus points were
-Object based editing advantages
-VERY very good sounding stock fx - it's 'ecox' delay plugin replaced my waves h-delay overnight.
-I personally seemed to believe it translated it's auditory output more inline with what I perceived to be "nicer sounding" than that of Cubase. And I intentionally worded that carefully and I am well aware of null testing and 1+1=2 and default pan laws.
-Seems nicer on the cpu now I've set the buffer and cores up better.
-It loads up almost instantly.
-It's bit of an underdog
-it's slightly more stable for me

It's still got some big quirks kicking around and it's not all roses but I found myself working slightly differently and for me more creatively and after a good time spent with it i was loading up Cubase less and less over the period.

The last 5 days I've been working exclusively in samp and haven't touched Cubase since.

There's not a huge user base for it out there so would love to hear from anyone else using it or tried it and how you're finding it

When apple bought emagic, I had to find another DAW and bought Samplitude Pro 8 (I stayed on Logic 5 for some time, but the new functions in the competition became too tempting, and the audio stuff seemed outdated in L5).

I liked it a lot (object editing is great, layout was very pleasant, very stable, ...) but at the time it had no score editor (or at least 'view').
I realized quickly I couldn't do without that so I bought Cubase 5 and learned my way with it (I generally improvise stuff to get started. Looking at it days or weeks later (when I forgot what I did) on a piano-roll doesn't mean anything to me. Looking at the score I can get 'into it' again fast & go on with the project) .

I'm now on C8Pro and have no intention to change anymore (there was a recent offer for a 249€ upgrade to Pro X2 Suite that was very generous as far as Samp goes, but I'm happy with C8. I almost put the deal on the 'MarketPlace' to see if anybody wanted that deal, but Samp doesn't seem to sell that well here so I passed)

I think there are many great DAWs these days, and Samplitude sure is in the top list.
You can't go wrong with any of them, as long as it suits your workflow.
I believe the official Samplitude & Sequoia forums are quite active if you want company.

Samplitude Pro X is pretty remarkable really. The reason people don't know how powerful it can be is because the entry level Magix line that seems focused more on cheap marketing and lazy programming is all over the place. I myself never took the "Pro" line seriously because the Magix name itself was borderline laughable for years. What I didn't realize is that these two product lines could not be more disconnected quality wise. When I finally jumped on Samplitude Pro X after hearing some great stuff from people I respected, I was blown away by powerful this program is. You'll hear this over and over again but it can not be understated, but the stock effects in Pro X are brilliant. They look deceptively simple, but I find myself not using some of the expensive "industry standard" third party plugins in favor of some of these stock effects in Samplitude! Audio editing wise, its a monster and the flexibility in workflow is pretty hard to top. My current setup is Reaper and Reason 8 for recording and tracking and then Pro X2 for mixing, editing, and mastering. You wont find a lot of feedback here at KVR on Pro X, but the few that use it here can attest to its strength and quality. Have fun man :tu:
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Thanks man.

You've echoed everything I've been feeling about it. Especially the stock plugs.

I've just offloaded half my waves plug in folder onto the marketplace here as samplitues plug in have wowed me so much.

I've been using Samp since 2007 (9 Pro), the flexibility of it is amazing. People talk about object based but it's to tough convey how powerful it is with just words. Object editors can also be a very powerful channel strips. You have automation in objects, you can freeze objects, you can use fx and dp in objects, you can snip, glue, make loops or what you wand to do with keystrokes and/or a click of the mouse.

Freezing is another overlooked benefit when using Samp, the whole hybrid engine thing can help weaker systems and many are using machines powerful enough that freezing is really not needed so as a result it is overlooked. Freezing in Samp is the best bounce midi to audio and even better it bounces in place. You can freeze a track, you can freeze an object and my favorite is that you can freeze a VSTi. This comes in very handy with multi-out VSTi's like Jamstix especially if you're like me and would rather mix down all audio tracks.

Also Comparisonics (which is not Magix, but comes with Samp), changing audio tracks to color representation of pitch is very handy for editing and quick locating of where to cut or of course where to position of punch points. Multi-point autopunch can also be handy now that it's fixed.

The revolver tracks are very good and I use them all the time however they are used in conjunction with the take manager and comping. Comping still needs work imo but it could be a case of me just trying to get my head around it. However comping is not really my thing.

I have no desire to look elsewhere for a host, Samp has all my needs well covered :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Samplitude is still my main DAW since V7 / mid-90's.

I've used many other DAWs over the years - mainly for projects that required using a particular DAW for the production (Live, Protools, Logic, etc.), but always used Samp in the background because of it's fast audio editing and mastering features, and found most DAWs to be comparatively limited in handling audio. And Object-editing is awesome!

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

I used samp from v7-v9 or so (went mac at that point), and just tried the x2 demo a short while ago, being back in pc land.
It's still amazing as always for audio editing. The bundled fx are also very VERY good.
I just wish i liked the midi side of the house better.
Either way, a solid choice.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Love samplitude but I was silly and sold it a while back. I have studio one v3 pro if anyone wants to swap

It arrived today!

Can finally get off the trial period.

And a hardback, fully illustrated 350 page paper manual. Impressed!

Well done. Did it come with the disks for independence?

crashedthecar wrote:Well done. Did it come with the disks for independence?
It did yes.

Welcome on board Coxy :tu:
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Yes, welcome to the little dark corner of the party where all the nerds hang out while all the cool kids get drunk and make fools of themselves.. :)

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

and now you've met most of the gang here at KvR :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Does Samplitude Pro x2 have a built-in bit bridge? How's midi functionality?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”