Klanghelm's New Compressor - coming soon!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoeCat wrote:The GUI doesn't look as "vintage" as the other Klanghelm products. Will this affect the sound? :hihi:
I've actually gone back to post one to look at the GUI teaser a number of times, looks great!

Reminds me of Image

Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

so........
There ya have it...

Ultrasonic wrote:so........
I can assure you Tony is taking this to the next level. Well worth the wait.

Hence the long time it takes to get it done right.

Just havent heard any noise in a while and it was supposed to be out in...i forget.
There ya have it...

Ultrasonic wrote:Just havent heard any noise in a while and it was supposed to be out in...i forget.
I get it man. ;)

Plans have changed a bit, for the better.

kj.metissage wrote:
Ultrasonic wrote:Just havent heard any noise in a while and it was supposed to be out in...i forget.
I get it man. ;)

Plans have changed a bit, for the better.
Yes no doubt about the result which will be amazing.
Still it would be great to have some news about the project...

Well, I got a bit back to the drawing board with this one. :oops: Thanks to the relaxed beta, there was a lot of room for new ideas this time. So I've built two additional models (all based on the variable-mu type), each with its own dedicated GUI and with a slightly different control set. Also, I've implemented new usability-stuff like A-B-ing. I still have to do the free version, but I am hopeful, that it won't take longer than 4-5 weeks.

Tony

@tonhelm:
Speaking of different models of vari-mu, wouldn't it be better to give the user the option (via several controls, I presume) to dial in his own settings as preferred, thus eliminating the need of having several "set-in-stone" models? I mean, how many variables are there when it comes to such a thing? What are the ranges of each? How many possible combinations of these? Something along the lines of Presswerk or Compassion, but for vari-mu?

Or maybe you think a fine-tuned model made by a pro would always be better than random settings dialed by an amateur? Hmmm.....

And BTW, aren't you getting just a bit carried away by all this fine-tuning and last-minute additions? Whole new models? Increased ranges? etc? It certainly looks that way.

I'd prefer predefined models, as it helps to get things done. I never find myself using Dc8C much and welcome the new views in u-he's presswerk, which is a rare example of a compressor where I use presets. Too many options are never good. Unless you are a compulsive tweaker, of course ;)

What I am not so sure about is the usefulness of A/B comparisons in a plugin. Does anyone really use those? Too often I find myself tweaking settings way too long while mixing and more often than not the result isn't worth the effort, so spending even more time setting up different settings and start comparing them again and again doesn't seem too fruitful to me. That time might be better invested in doing some more automation, which of course isn't as much fun as PWP (playing with plugins). :D

Please keep it really simple as originally intended!

Single-handedly developing a plugin in several formats for several DAW's on several OS platforms must be a pain. Some of those DAW's are real dogs too.
Studio One Professional 5.4.1 • Win 11 • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 • Radeon RX 5700 • MSI B450 Mortar Max • 16 GB RAM • Audient iD22 + iD14

I suppose it'd be as intuitive as SDRR, rather than deep as DC8C2 Expert mode?
Can't wait to give it a try!
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Keeping it simple is still one of the mail goal, since I absolutely don't intend it to be a swiss-army-knife compressor like DC8C.
The vari-mu-models are much more complex than DC8C, as every model has its own specific signal path and compression behavior. It's definitely NOT just compression. Making all this available as separate controls would mean something like 100+ knobs. I guess it would look like modular synth then with patch cables and stuff :)
A lot of the work of the past two months went into making it even easier and faster to dial in a great sound. The different model are kind of a time travel through variable mu compression.

I don't think I got carried away with this. I am just a perfectionist. And getting things perfect AND keeping it simple can be very time consuming.

A-B-ing is a popular feature request. So having that in a plugin can't hurt.

Nice one Tony, can't wait to buy it and try it!

That's great to hear Tony. I, for one, am not a huge fan of complex plugins with billions of knobs. I've gravitated towards plugins with simple designs, limited choice options, but yet still have versatility. Compression plugins like Massey's CT5 (with its 9 total possible combinations of attack and release and one compression knob that has both threshold and ratio rolled into one parameter) and EQs like Sonimus SonEQ Pro (with 4 bands, only a few Q options and detented high frequency knob) are both perfect examples of this. They are a perfect blend of keeping it dead simple, while giving you versatility. I think this would be hard. A developer could easily fall into a trap of making it so simple that you could only use it in one select situation.. Or, on the other hand, so versatile that it's overly-complex. It's the perfect balance of these two that excite me.

When I first heard of this plugin, I was stoked because it seemed like it was going to be made with this philosophy in mind. I own DC8C, but honestly don't use it much, this compressor seems like it would fit the bill perfectly. So even though it's worth absolutely nothing, my vote is, don't add too much tweak-ability. Keep it simple. I'll be honest, I liked the idea of only having it be one compressor, but youre the man in charge. :)
Last edited by joe_04_04 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”