Carpenters Vs. Zappa

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harry_HH wrote:
rp314 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: The video example of the Zappa is not the most representative to demonstrate his multi-skills.
But that's what's so great about good music, no? If for whatever reasons someone wants to denigrate or diminish some artist or work by picking at the weak elements (not necessarily referring to anyone in this thread, of course), that generally doesn't seem to fare too well in keeping others from finding the jewels.

In the end we all have our preferences but especially for those who make music the question of liking something is never as important IMHO as that of trying to seek out the wonderful stuff that's in there. And if some great composer for whatever reasons just never quite appeals to us that doesn't mean we won't receive their greatness via the works of others who somehow got it and ran with it. :wink:
You have obviously talent to write even a Ph.D dissertation - this was so complicated, I think not even the author knows what its supposed to mean. (Or maybe this was the whole idea).
Summary of the points made for easy reading:
1) Not every artist is good at everything; people can choose to pick on their weaknesses or celebrate their strengths
2) With this in mind, it doesn't matter if you like an artists' music or not, because there's always something to gain from looking at what they do right. Your distaste shouldn't totally blind you from appreciating what's good about a certain song.
3) So, by trying to find wisdom even in art we don't like, there's a lot to be learned.

Not too complicated, just delivered a little ramblingly.

what if frank zappa had played guitar for the carpenters?

what if karen carpenter had been a singer/drummer for zappa?

Acid Mitch wrote:
sqigls wrote:what?
Zappa died of prostate cancer yeah?
self-enflicted as in he drank a lot of coffee?
The cigarettes probably played a bigger part than the coffee.
Pheeft, the warnings they print on the packages are just a ploy made up by the Brain Police, innit? :?

Xiangqi wrote:what if frank zappa had played guitar for the carpenters?

i thinks they all (especially Zappa) would have dug it.

Xiangqi wrote:what if frank zappa had played guitar for the carpenters?

ruth underwood F.T.W. ...

a mate of mine is a carpenter who likes frank zappa

true story :ud:

I also expect there'll be a lot of people this summer listening to Carpenters while barbecuing ball park franks too :D

Acid Mitch wrote:
Agreed. Back in the day Frank would sometimes come up to this area (perhaps to take a break from life in Tinsel Town) and participate in various cultural activities. Like spinning records at KPFA, for example. The times I got a chance to see him in person or on television, he pretty much always had a cigarette in his hand. The laws were much more lax back then as no doubt some around here can recall. In the end, who knows, maybe it was something else, but as with others from that era I think the one drug he did allow himself to do probably played a role.

I got a conspiracy theory about that though.

You see what happens to dissidents in Russia now right.

So there could have been black ops doing similar stuff to Zappa.

He was getting involved in politics, cutting deals with Havel...

rp314 wrote:
Acid Mitch wrote:
Agreed. Back in the day Frank would sometimes come up to this area (perhaps to take a break from life in Tinsel Town) and participate in various cultural activities. Like spinning records at KPFA, for example. The times I got a chance to see him in person or on television, he pretty much always had a cigarette in his hand. The laws were much more lax back then as no doubt some around here can recall. In the end, who knows, maybe it was something else, but as with others from that era I think the one drug he did allow himself to do probably played a role.
Pictures?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

While Frank listened to band members solo, he always had a ciggie in his hand. And one was stuck between the strings even while he played. He said they were "food" to him.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Cointelpro

Gonga wrote:While Frank listened to band members solo, he always had a ciggie in his hand. And one was stuck between the strings even while he played. He said they were "food" to him.
Like the stuff one consumes at the dinner table?

How quickly we forget... :hihi:

Never heard this (version) before, thought I share it here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5vb56of-Y

rp314 wrote:Like the stuff one consumes at the dinner table?
He was too fond of those burnt weeny sandwiches.

Burnt toast, it's not good for you!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”