VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PPG WaveMapper 2 For Mac And PC

Hi,

Wolfgang Palm just published two additional soundbanks for PPG Wavemapper 2:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/new-products/pp ... oundbanks/

Those are based on the factory bank of PPG Wavegenerator and the factory bank of the Wavemapper iPad version which were edited by Uli Ringhausen to be used in Wavemapper 2...

The converted Wavegenerator factory bank also includes some additional wavetables.

UPDATE:
Added this to a new thread in the Wolfgang Palm KVR forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424745

-----------------------------------------------------------

Those who are interested in additional wavetables could also have a look at my own thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p5925719

Hopefully will post more there soon.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

thanks for that Ingo.

I bought the bundle today and I have a question regarding the TCS/Analysis. I find some samples load but others just get ignored. They are all my own samples so they are 24bit and about the same length.

Any ideas?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote:thanks for that Ingo.

I bought the bundle today and I have a question regarding the TCS/Analysis. I find some samples load but others just get ignored. They are all my own samples so they are 24bit and about the same length.

Any ideas?
I found that 16-bit should usually work while 24-bit could be a problem indeed.

I converted some 24-bit samples that caused problems using the automatic batch conversion in Wavelab Elements 7 (which is one of my major tools concerning waveform/sample editing).
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

ok thanks. I seem to have found a bigger problem and I can't really believe I'm struggling with something so basic.

After trying to save something and being told the bank was already full I created a new empty bank. It would then allow me to save when I set that up as the target bank.

Unfortunately when I've gone and checked with another instance of WaveMapper, hit "browse" and then change the active sound bank on the left it tells me the bank is empty.

It's now crashed (again) and it seems I've lost everything except the wavetable I created so at least I have that.

I really didn't think save would be so fraught.

ChamomileShark wrote:ok thanks. I seem to have found a bigger problem and I can't really believe I'm struggling with something so basic.

After trying to save something and being told the bank was already full I created a new empty bank. It would then allow me to save when I set that up as the target bank.

Unfortunately when I've gone and checked with another instance of WaveMapper, hit "browse" and then change the active sound bank on the left it tells me the bank is empty.

It's now crashed (again) and it seems I've lost everything except the wavetable I created so at least I have that.

I really didn't think save would be so fraught.
I don't think i had similar problems while saving my own patches yet. My guess is that at one step you did something wrong. Was the bank that was noted as "full" your own bank or a factory bank?

If you want to save your own patches you have to select your bank as an "Active Bank" at the left, Not as a target bank. A target bank is needed if you want to copy a selection of patches from the active bank to a new bank or to another existing bank with free slots/locations. For using that new bank it has to be loaded as an active bank.

Another point is that if you want to keep changes to your bank like new patches or changed patches you have to use the "Save Bank" feature at the left of the browser page.

There is also an important note at the help page for the browser:
Important note !
You have to understand, that a WaveMapper 2 fxb file is totally independent of the DAWs internal project.
If you save the project with your DAW, the fxb is not touched at all. The same applies the other way round:
When you use the SAVE BANK button on the WaveMapper 2 browser page, that doesn't change anything in the DAWs project.
In fact the DAW will load an old version if you open the project again!
So we recommend to use the DAW to save your working projects and only if you want to archive your bank, use the SAVE BANK or Export Bank functions in the browser.
This means that if you save an old copy of your bank with a DAW/host project after re-loading the project it will contain the bank you saved in the project and not the current bank from the fxb file (if you saved changes to the fxb file after saving that host project). If you want to load the latest bank file in an old project you have to click at that bank in the active bank selection to load it again with the latest version.

Concerning crashes this does not seem to be normal so it would be good to contact official support.
Ingo Weidner

hi, sorry I was in a rush when I posted before - plans had changed here. I can set out what I did.

I did set the bank on the left.

Initially when I tried to save it told me the bank was full - that was the factory bank. I've seen it in something else and it confirms factory has no free spaces.

So I clicked on "new Bank" button and gave it the name "Mark 1".

I then change the active bank on the left to "Mark 1" - it shows the creation date, that there are no patches and 128 spaces. Again all as it should be.

With "Mark 1" bank selected as the Active bank I hit save as and gave the preset a name and clicked ok.

At this point the Mark 1 bank still shows no patches and 128 spaces.

When I look at C>Users>Mark>Documents I see a folder "PPG"

in PPG>Wavemapper2 sounds there is a cubase sound bank "Mark 1.fxb" I also see a number of other similar files including Factory.fxb - so to me that looks correct.

(I seem to have been able to have been able to save a wavetable I created from a TCS and that has ended up in Wavemapper2 sounds > user along with a number of other wavetables. It seems that when I go to the wavemap and browse there it finds and loads the wavetable ok.)

I quit out and restarted cubase and back to the wavemapper2 browser - on the left - I click on "Active Bank" and choose "Mark 1" (so yes, it sees the bank). That then comes up showing it to be empty with 128 spaces left.

Can you see what I am doing wrong?

ChamomileShark wrote:
Can you see what I am doing wrong?
As mentioned in my post above you have to use "Save Bank" at the left of the browser to save changes to the current bank like e.g. new patches or changed patches.
If not doing that changes will be lost if you load the bank next time, except if you saved the current bank with a project in you host. Then the patches are saved with the project while a bank saved with the prokect is not always identical to that saved with the fxb file (like i also tried to explain above).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Edit: I found the problem. It just doesn't quite work the way I thought.

thanks again Ingo.

As it looks like some people have problems creating + using their own banks in Wavemapper here is a short procedure (starting from a new instance):

1.) click at the "BROWS" tab to load the Sound Browser
2.) Click at "New Bank" on the right part of the Sound Browser
3.) enter the name for the Bank
4.) click on "OK" to create the new bank
5.) now the name of the new bank will be displayed as the "Target Bank"
6.) go the the drop-down menu of the "Active Bank" and select your new bank as the new active bank
7.) Create a new patch by either using "Save As" or "Init new" at the "Save" tab to the right of the patch name display at the top of the GUI
8.) If you started from the Init patch change the patch name by clicking on it and confirming the name with pressing ENTER/RETURN
9.) If you made changes to the patch after renaming you could use "Backup" ("Restore" will load the last saved patch version).
10.) Save the changes to your Bank using the "Save Bank" button at the left of the Browser page. This saves all changes made to the Bank like e.g. new patches or chnaged patches to a fxb file with your bank name.
11.) You could access the folder with the fxb file by clicking at the "System Browser" button at the right of the Browser which opens an Explorer page with the Bank files (*fxb).

It is wise to make a Backup of your fxb files (and also of your own resources like wavetables + TCS files) from time to time.

As already mentioned if you save a bank with a project in your host this will be the bank how ot was at the stage when you saved the project. Changes to the fxb file will not be loaded when you re-load the project file. To get the latest update of the bank in an old project you have to re-load the bank from the activae bank drop-down nenu which loads the latest version then.

The File Explorer (at Windows it's the Windows Explorer) the display mentioned above also includes a folder called "user" where you could create your own sub-folder (or more than one) where you could put you own wavetables and TCS files.
At the TCS/Analysis page you could select this folder as the "User Resource Path" and all wavetables + TCS fies you create there (with ising e.g. Create Wavetable" or "Create TCS" will be saved at that user folder using the name you entered at the TCS/Anaylsis page (you could edit the name shown at "Audio Source").

You could also assign a "Root" bank to your bank (there is a drop-down menu below that one for the active bank). "Root" presets are presets that could be loaded at the Sound Map page.
You could create a new bank for your "Root" presets, copy patches there (using the Root bank as a Target bank) and assign that Root bank to you bank using the drop-down nenu mentioned (called "Linked User Root Bank").

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:Hi,

Wolfgang Palm just published two additional soundbanks for PPG Wavemapper 2:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/new-products/pp ... oundbanks/

Those are based on the factory bank of PPG Wavegenerator and the factory bank of the Wavemapper iPad version which were edited by Uli Ringhausen to be used in Wavemapper 2...

The converted Wavegenerator factory bank also includes some additional wavetables.
You could also import your own Wavegenerator and/or iPad Wavemapper banks if at the Wavemapper 2 Browser you click at the "=" Symbol right to the "Bank Manager" text.
As not all parameters are identical it could be necessary to edit some of the converted patches after importing a bank. This is what Uli Ringhausen did at the banks that were published at the link mentioned above.
Ingo Weidner

Just to add my problem came from having dived straight in, tweaking one of the factory prests and deciding I wanted to keep it.

Hitting "Save as" it told me there was no more room left in the factory bank.

I then went through the process of creating a new bank.

Problem is that when you change the active bank on the left hand side from Factory to whatever is the name of your new bank the preset you were working on disappears. However it doesn't tell you that and will let you go through the whole "save as" and naming process. Only afterwards when you try and go back do you find out the preset went no where.

Last night I created a new preset from the ground up starting with my user bank as the active bank. Everything saved fine including the associated wavetable I creates from a TCS.

I puzzled over how you then might be able to tweak a factory preset and the answer is change the right hand bank to the user bank and then on the left hit "Copy to Target".

I'll need to copy this because I'm used to just hitting "save as" and the preset going off to a user folder created during the install.

One bit of feedback. When I look at my user bank it tells me it is Empty. However it also tells me that I have 125 spaces left so clearly it has 3 presets saved.

Hopefully things will get easier from here. I created a nice sound by analysing me hitting a metal pipe, converting that a wavetable, figuring out a suitable path within the wavetable, fiddled with the filter and envelopes - then used the same wavetable but different paths for the other two oscillators - that took mre about 10 mins. And then spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to save it and lost the patch about 3 times.

I found it really interesting that you can end up with timbres apparently unrelated to the original sample in some parts of the wavetable but then find that character elsewhere. The filter seems very musical too - and I like the splitting of filter and unfiltered. I found the two different audio modes, 1 and 2 useful. Overall very nice.

one thing i like to mention here:

the bank manager is there to organise your presets.

normally you don't have to save anything. it is all done by your host.
all you have to do is say YES, when the host asks you to save your project.

thats how most VST users work.

origwt wrote:one thing i like to mention here:

the bank manager is there to organise your presets.

normally you don't have to save anything. it is all done by your host.
all you have to do is say YES, when the host asks you to save your project.

thats how most VST users work.
Hi Wolfgang,

nice to see you posting here. :)

i mostly agree but as soon as you want to use the patches in a new project or in a new instance in an old project you would need to save changes to the bank/fxb file.

As already mentioned like with other synths it is also important to make a backup of your own fxb files from time to time.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingo, many thanks for giving valuable tips here !

I purchased WaveMapper2 today, just a couple of days after Wavegenerator, and I'm stunned by the capabilities inherent. I can see where there is a cross-synth/WT variable, and I must say that buying the former after I'd already gotten a good grip on the latter was a particularly good move. WaveMapper wildly extends the options for wavetable creation and manipulation, Ingo was completely right about how owning them both was necessary, as the two combined provide the sound designer with enormous power. Plus, WaveMapper is so interesting in its gui/general workflow that the user actually wants to learn how to use it to his or her best advantage.

The two together are only about $20-25 US more than buying Serum, and believe me the investment is worth it. I proved it to myself shortly after buying, and even now with the new synth honeymoon mostly over I can forthrightly state that Palm is a genius, it's as though he planned to release the two synths one after another, just to freak people out with the capabilities of the latter. I can just picture him, after the release of Wavegenerator, rubbing his palms (no pun intended) eeeevilly, all the while cackling to himself "hee hee, WAIT until I put out the 'mapper! BWA-ha-ha-ha-haaa!"
Ha ha suck it!

Return to “Instruments”